Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a silly question but seeing as I have only had my 2018 Tundra a couple days I am finding it difficult to know how close I am to something at the front while parking. Back is no problem with the camera.
That high curved hood that I can't see the front of the vehicle is something I am not used to . I have got out a few times thinking I am there only to find I am 6 or 8 feet away.
Is this something that I am just going to have to get used to ? I hate guessing how far away I am from something.
Loving the truck otherwise though .

·
Registered
265 Posts
I still have this issue with my 2015, even though I've had it for well over 3 years.

Didn't have the issue with my First Gen Tundra, and one of the reasons why I liked that truck better than I like my current Tundra.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
You will get used to it.
I had the same issue when I leveled my 2014 with 2.5" of front lift.
My best advice would be backing into any parking space or driveway and utilizing your backup camera.

If it continues to be an issue, get an after market HU that has the option of front camera input and buy another camera.
That should solve it...:x

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You will get used to it.
I had the same issue when I leveled my 2014 with 2.5" of front lift.
My best advice would be backing into any parking space or driveway and utilizing your backup camera.

If it continues to be an issue, get an after market HU that has the option of front camera input and buy another camera.
That should solve it...:x
Could you please explain what a after market HU is ? Something I can get on amazon fairly inexpensive ? ? that does not require pulling my dash apart and radio out etc . . etc . . to install ones like a couple videos I have viewed ? Is there anything available that is wireless . ? ? I sure don't like not knowing how far to pull forward when parking .

EDIT

Do you think something like this would work ? If it was mounted high and pointing down over the front of the hood ? Nice little 12V socket installation .

https://www.amazon.com/4-Lane-Wide-Angle-G-Sensor-Recording-Charger/dp/B0742DD36K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1543111611&sr=8-2&keywords=hub+with+camera+option

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Without adding a camera, it's just going to take time for you to get use to judging with your depth perception. I'm in 1 of 5 vehicles, weekly. Each one has it's own peculiars; brakes, distances, throttle, and the like.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This might be a silly question but seeing as I have only had my 2018 Tundra a couple days I am finding it difficult to know how close I am to something at the front while parking. Back is no problem with the camera.
That high curved hood that I can't see the front of the vehicle is something I am not used to . I have got out a few times thinking I am there only to find I am 6 or 8 feet away.
Is this something that I am just going to have to get used to ? I hate guessing how far away I am from something.
Loving the truck otherwise though .
I'm 3 months in with my 2018 and was noticing this the other day. I pull up as much as I dare and then a little more for good measure and I'm still 6 feet away.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Could you please explain what a after market HU is ? Something I can get on amazon fairly inexpensive ? ? that does not require pulling my dash apart and radio out etc . . etc . . to install ones like a couple videos I have viewed ? Is there anything available that is wireless . ? ? I sure don't like not knowing how far to pull forward when parking .

EDIT

Do you think something like this would work ? If it was mounted high and pointing down over the front of the hood ? Nice little 12V socket installation .

https://www.amazon.com/4-Lane-Wide-Angle-G-Sensor-Recording-Charger/dp/B0742DD36K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1543111611&sr=8-2&keywords=hub+with+camera+option
There is no way I would install that in my truck just to see over the hood.
Wiring plugged into 12v sockets?
Blasphemy....

Now if you were wanting a dash camera that is fine, but to buy that just to see over the hood?

Like @theoat stated the radio is a HU (head unit).
But since these days it does so much more than a 'radio', it is called a 'head unit'.

There are Toyota Front Camera Adapters like the link below you can use with the stock Entune.
But you will have to pull the radio (not that hard) and run wiring to the front of the truck (not that hard either).

Toyota Front Camera Adapter

There are also license plate frames with cameras in them to use with those adapters.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=License+Plate+Frame+camera

I've never used one, but here is a video to give you an idea of how to install and use an adapter.

A tip, if you pull the radio out, you don't need to take the console apart.
Stick your thumb in the cigarette lighter hole and that bottom piece will pull straight out.

A link to member @kspann front camera installation.

https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-audio-visual-discussion/438433-2014-front-mount-camera-oem-style-heavy-pics.html

I almost installed a front camera in my 2014 when I got my after market HU, but I realized I'd only use it one or twice a year.
Wasn't worth the trouble.

If your issue is parking the truck, then back into every parking spot, and your issue is eliminated.
It is safer to back in when parking, than backing out when you leave.
Also park away from everyone else and walk a little to where ever you are going.

If your issue is while driving, then you are following the vehicle in front of you too closely.

If your issue is parking in your garage, and you can't back in, there are several parking assist items that can help you with that.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=parking+assist&rh=i:aps,k:parking+assist

Good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is no way I would install that in my truck just to see over the hood.
Wiring plugged into 12v sockets?
Blasphemy....

Now if you were wanting a dash camera that is fine, but to buy that just to see over the hood?

Like @theoat stated the radio is a HU (head unit).
But since these days it does so much more than a 'radio', it is called a 'head unit'.

There are Toyota Front Camera Adapters like the link below you can use with the stock Entune.
But you will have to pull the radio (not that hard) and run wiring to the front of the truck (not that hard either).

Toyota Front Camera Adapter

There are also license plate frames with cameras in them to use with those adapters.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=License+Plate+Frame+camera

I've never used one, but here is a video to give you an idea of how to install and use an adapter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ-Lec8UV-I

A tip, if you pull the radio out, you don't need to take the console apart.
Stick your thumb in the cigarette lighter hole and that bottom piece will pull straight out.

A link to member @kspann front camera installation.

https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-audio-visual-discussion/438433-2014-front-mount-camera-oem-style-heavy-pics.html

I almost installed a front camera in my 2014 when I got my after market HU, but I realized I'd only use it one or twice a year.
Wasn't worth the trouble.

If your issue is parking the truck, then back into every parking spot, and your issue is eliminated.
It is safer to back in when parking, than backing out when you leave.
Also park away from everyone else and walk a little to where ever you are going.

If your issue is while driving, then you are following the vehicle in front of you too closely.

If your issue is parking in your garage, and you can't back in, there are several parking assist items that can help you with that.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=parking+assist&rh=i:aps,k:parking+assist

Good luck.
Thanks for this and to all others who responded. Much appreciated.
I will review your information .
I probably wouldn't want to go through the steps myself required to pull the radio out to hook up the best scenario system .
I only have a carport and both it and the driveway are very narrow up to it on a hill up from road . Concrete wall on each side before getting to the carport that levels out. Quite difficult to back in there from the road but not so hard to back out going downhill with the rear camera.
I will look at all options and for now will try to park away from other vehicles in the larger parking lots and do a little more walking . Unfortunately, many parking lots are too small to be able to do that .

·
Registered
137 Posts

·
Registered
13,541 Posts
I have always had depth perception issues, thanks to only seeing out of one eye.

After a while you get used to guessing and looking on the side in front of the truck to see roughly where you are.

Like someone else stated, I just go to where I think I am good, then go a little more slowly, then just a hair more, and normally I still have a few feet.

Generally I back in everywhere. It's easier, and safer than blindly backing out, statistics have proven it.

Once I hit a building in my 81 f150, thought I had room. Boom.

Wish we had the surround camera feature like upscaled super duties.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought this backup cam that comes with a small display and mounted the camera to the front license plate.The image is reversed left/right but I have gotten used to it.I can now get inches away from an object.Totally worth $45.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTO-VOX-M1-Backup-Camera-Kit-Rear-View-Back-Up-Car-Camera-IP68-Waterproof/302787451598?hash=item467f89dace:g:jagAAOSwl~ZbNWPi:rk:10:pf:0
That looks very good to me. The reverse image would not bother me . I watched an installation video on it and I did not see an on/off switch which I would prefer .
Question though . . . . Did you wire it into your running front running lights or where ?
If used as a backup camera wired into the backup light circuitty it would only be live when in reverse. But wired for front facing camera it would be on all the time which I wouldn't want .I also saw a wireless version of the same one on amazon for about a hundred bucks .

This is getting quite interesting

·
Registered
94 Posts
You don't have front sensors? I have front and rear I figured they all came with that. It yells at me when I am getting close then when I am getting really close a solid beep goes off

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You don't have front sensors? I have front and rear I figured they all came with that. It yells at me when I am getting close then when I am getting really close a solid beep goes off
No beeping sensors front or back . Only a rear camera with no beeps. I would have loved to have had that feature. Had a car years ago that had beeping back camera and didn't need front ones because I could see over the hood for front parking. I really like this Tundra for all it's features apart from having no idea how close I am to something at the front so could not even think of parallel parking with it. I don't want to damage the front of mine or the rear of someone else's by trying to . I hate to have to maybe go around a block from where I want to be and park on a roadside and walk back to my destination . .

·
Registered
137 Posts
That looks very good to me. The reverse image would not bother me . I watched an installation video on it and I did not see an on/off switch which I would prefer .
Question though . . . . Did you wire it into your running front running lights or where ?
If used as a backup camera wired into the backup light circuitty it would only be live when in reverse. But wired for front facing camera it would be on all the time which I wouldn't want .I also saw a wireless version of the same one on amazon for about a hundred bucks .

This is getting quite interesting
I wired it into the fuse box in the engine compartment with a mini fuse tap that I got on Amazon.Just make sure you get the right one since there are like 3 or 4 different styles of "mini" fuse.I used the ignition circuit.Yes,it does stay on when all the time but I mounted the display in the console in front of the shifter that way it isn't in my field of view but only a quick glance away.I used the gromet on the driver's side to run the wire into the cab of the truck.You could add a swith to turn it off/on if you wanted to.Very simple.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts