Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have heard rumors that tires sold at some big box discount stores, that buy in large volumes, are supplied with tires that are made of lesser quality materials/standards as tires that are sold in a tire shop or other dedicated tire retailer. Any opinions on this matter?

-Bob

·
Registered
72 Posts
Who told you that? Sounds like something a tire salesman would say that works at a high priced store. Since you mentioned "Discount Tire" I have bought from them many times with no problems and they give you the same warranty that the high priced store do. So to answer your question, I have never heard of this.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you buy a Michelin LTX MS2 at the tire shop or the big box store they both come off the same line and same tire. Same with all other brands. Same tire name and brand same tire. Big box stores may have low end brands or unknown brands that the tire shop won't carry. Sounds like the tire shop is using scare tactics to get you to pay more.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Yes, it is a bunch of crap... I'm getting my tires put on at America's Tire on Monday. A manager at a motorcycle dealer once told me the motorcycle tires I purchased from online retailers were not good like what the dealers carry. I went ahead and bought it anyways and saved over $150. I had them mounted at the dealer where this so called manager worked. The mechanic told me the tires were great and he only had to place a very tiny weight to balance the rear tire.

To make a long story short; the online retailers were cutting into their profits. If you buy a can of coke for $.50 at one store and $.75 at another; it doesn't mean the more expensive can was made in a better facility. I'm just saying.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Shop by sku # , that is the part number supplied by the manufacture. Usually the one that are different are the "club" tires ie Costco and sams. Those are different even though they look the same , if they were the same the manufacture would not assign them their own part number. They are lighter than their counterparts sold at tire stores

1 - 5 of 5 Posts