Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you always purchase certs for refund/replacement? I'm curious as to how many of you guys purchase and actually redeem these certs? Are they worth it? Thanks for the input.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin

·
Registered
452 Posts
100 dollars is cheap esp when tires are over 300 dollars each

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did because they did it for $25 pet tire, so for $100 for lifetime of the tire insurance I thought is was worth it.
Is it really for the lifetime of the tire? I thought it was up to a certain tread depth, or three years from purchase? Can anyone confirm this?

Sent from my SPH-L720

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you read the certificate, its down to 3/32" or three years, which ever occurs first. For me, I'd reach the 3 year limit first. With only three years of coverage, I don't think the certificate would be of much value for me.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If a tire covered by the*Certificate for Refund, Repair or Replacement*fails due to a defect or an unrepairable road hazard, and still has legal tread (3/32") remaining across the tire, and it has been in use less than 3 years from date of purchase, Discount Tire will give a refund of the full purchase price...
Sent from my SPH-L720

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm with BDT. I've been driving for 16 years and have only had one blow out and no punctures that couldn't be repaired. I pass on the insurance. As someone else mentioned, if you drive somewhere where sidewall damage could really be a reality, than maybe it would be worth it.

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
I picked up a piece of metal a few weeks back and toook it to discount to have them plug/repair it. I was watching them through the glass I watched them yank my old Michelin off and put a new one on free of charge (minus the new cost of a warranty) 40 something so yes it is worth it... come to find out I had picked up a rather large piece of metal a file to be exact and they decided it was to large to repair.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I always buy my tires at Discount and have never purchased the certificates and have never had a repair needed that couldn't be done or blown a tire that I purchased there. I have had tires that have gotten screws/etc in the tread on the edge that couldn't be repaired but they were always on the original tires that were on the vehicle when I bought it. Call me lucky I guess!

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I don't purchase their certificates either. I never buy extended warranties on electronics or most any other product. I feel the money i save on all of these overall will cover repairs. It's worked out to my advantage over the years. The Discount 3 year limit is the main reason i will not do theirs. If i drove enough to wear out my tires in three years I might consider it. By the way, Discount will fix your flats for no charge if you purchased the tires from them regardless if you purchased their certificates. I am a loyal Discount tire customer.

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
I am running the third set of tires since 08 so I guess I am in the minority of buying the certs. I also run them at least to 50k each set.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts