Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well the truck drove great but......
I drive a base 2012 CrewMax and it has way more stuff on it than the SR5

The SR5, no more manual seat raise like my 12' and the seat is really low, combined with that massive hood it really kind of sucked from a seating position. So you have to go up in packages to get power seats just to raise the dang seat.
The SR5, no fold down arm rest in the back seat like my base 12'.... really sucks for rear passengers
No HomeLink mirror for garage door buttons like my base 12'
No Tow Hooks!????
No overhead console/storage bins like my base 12' has.

These are just a few small things but it just seems like they are going backwards in overall creature comforts in the base models. Sure if you move up to the limited or platinum it gets better but now you're talking $60k-$70k, I think I paid $32K for my 12' CrewMax 2WD

This truck was about as "base" as you could get in an SR5 and it was still $55K!

I'm ready to get a new, not sure what I'll do because I've put almost 200k in miles on my 12' and I need to pass it on to my son before he leaves for college.

· Registered
2 Posts
I am 6'1" and cannot sit in the back of the new double cabs (no leg room), or any of the models with a sunroof (head brushes the ceiling). They're awful. Completely destroyed the proportions and spacing of these as if they didn't have the success of previous generations to reference.

· Registered
61 Posts
It's amazing how much room is in the double cabs. When I was looking way back, I looked at a 2010 (probably) crewmax...had rear seats that reclined. Needless to say, the kids didn't want the one I purchased, just a double.

· Registered
1,611 Posts
I got the sr5 plus, I believe they call it. It has heated softex power seats which are great, heated steering wheel, and power sliding rear window. I did lose the home link rearview mirror and a lot of space in the dc backseat. The powertrain on these new Tundras is very smooth. They are a joy to drive on the highway. Off road I think I prefer my '19.

· Registered
3 Posts
Well the truck drove great but......
I drive a base 2012 CrewMax and it has way more stuff on it than the SR5

The SR5, no more manual seat raise like my 12' and the seat is really low, combined with that massive hood it really kind of sucked from a seating position. So you have to go up in packages to get power seats just to raise the dang seat.
The SR5, no fold down arm rest in the back seat like my base 12'.... really sucks for rear passengers
No HomeLink mirror for garage door buttons like my base 12'
No Tow Hooks!????
No overhead console/storage bins like my base 12' has.

These are just a few small things but it just seems like they are going backwards in overall creature comforts in the base models. Sure if you move up to the limited or platinum it gets better but now you're talking $60k-$70k, I think I paid $32K for my 12' CrewMax 2WD

This truck was about as "base" as you could get in an SR5 and it was still $55K!

I'm ready to get a new, not sure what I'll do because I've put almost 200k in miles on my 12' and I need to pass it on to my son before he leaves for college.
Plus, they made them butt ugly! So happy I bought a 2021. Beautiful truck! Big seats! Great sounding and potent V-8! Lame gas mileage but who cares!

· Registered
6 Posts
I got the sr5 plus, I believe they call it. It has heated softex power seats which are great, heated steering wheel, and power sliding rear window. I did lose the home link rearview mirror and a lot of space in the dc backseat. The powertrain on these new Tundras is very smooth. They are a joy to drive on the highway. Off road I think I prefer my '19.
I recently leased the 22 SR5 Limited. I agree with everything you are saying. Heated seats and steering wheel are a nice plus. It has plenty of power, but I only gained about 3 - 4 MPG than the 5.7 was giving me. I also miss the rearview mirror link. And the back seat is a joke. I had more room in my 1980 Toyota extra cab back seat than this one has. And the dual exhaust is non existent. I miss my 2020.

· Registered
94 Posts
I think the hood size and power seats are valid complaints, and it's the first thing I noticed when I sat in one. I think my biggest beef with the new Tundra is that they moved a lot of electricals controls to the center console right next to the cup holders. Are they water proof? I don't know, but I really don't want to find out I need 4wd and discover someone else in the family spilled their drive-through drink all over it and didn't clean it.

· Registered
2018 Tundra CrewCab SR5
1 Posts
Ditto on what everyone else is saying, truck looks like crap from the side (GM crap), buddy is a tech at Toyota and saying they're having issues with the turbos. I was on the fence since they came out but have heard nothing but bad things from owners saying they wished the had their old Tundra back. I just recently decided to go 2018 CM SR5 with 32k miles; upgraded from a 300k mile 2011 4.6L that had the trans starting to go out, but other than that, never had an issue. That truck was a gem!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts