Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
You'll need to post here to be part of this forum.

New Member Introductions - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

What exactly do you expect Toyota to do about it?
It's a 3 or 4 year old truck with 90K miles on it.

On my 2005 Tundra;
My air pump went out at 90K miles.
I paid the dealer $2000 to fix it.
Got a free rental...:)

My rear wheel seal went out at 100K miles.
I paid them to fix it, got a free rental.:)

The real pisser with my 2005?
I had a 7 year / 75K mile extended warranty that I never did use.:eek:

Get estimates from local shops and see what they will charge you.
I'm guessing you looked the truck over for any leaks when you bought it.

Just the luck of the draw buying used...

Get it fixed and enjoy your Tundra...
Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: Dragos28

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The leak is vey small and pretty sure he wiped the area off. Realize Toyota will probably not help, but bought a used Toyota not to have these problems. Was wondering how wide spread this problem is? Thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
That seal is a pita to do b/c a lot of chit needs to be removed to get to it. It's not bad honestly - probably take 3hrs to do. Others will do it faster but I haven't done one in a long time. Last one I did was on a ford ranger - that was less than 2hrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just bought a 2014 1794 with 90,000 miles from an individual. Sadly just found out it has a rear main seal leak! $1,800 for dealer to fix. No help from Toyota yet. Any advice? Rich
Sorry a little off topic here but you probably paid around $30k for the truck? Why didn't you just use that as down payment and got a brand-new 1794? Could've avoided all the issues and have a few years of warranty to go with it. Just makes more sense to me.

Like others have said its a used truck with 90k miles. If it needs to be done just clinch your teeth, close your eyes, and hand over the credit card. That's what I do every time I pay for gas!

·
Registered
91 Posts
You have to love when people by something used and expect to have results of buying something new especially from a warranty standpoint. Maybe there was reason why this USED truck was on the market.

I have bought only one used vehicle in my life and I am 48 years old. That was for my 16 year old. I bought a Ford F150 from a good friend of mine only because I knew all the history of the vehicle.

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
Just bought a 2014 1794 with 90,000 miles from an individual. Sadly just found out it has a rear main seal leak! $1,800 for dealer to fix. No help from Toyota yet. Any advice? Rich
Who's fault is it that you bought a used truck and it has issues?

·
Registered
37 Posts
unfortunately your going to have to bite the bullet and get it fixed and hope that this is the only issue that comes up. There not going to help why would they it has 90,000 miles on it. Toyotas are reliable but they do wear out parts eventually.

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
Reactions: Wacked

·
Registered
150 Posts
Lol man you guys are being a little grumpy. If you can't be part of the solution, by all means, leave the negative comments to yourself. Clearly, the OP didn't come off as ungrateful or an (__!__) so why give him a hard time...

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Yeah, I'm on the OP's side here, from what I got out of the story, the private seller f*cked him by wiping the oil clean when he looked at the Truck, and then after the sale the OP finds out he needs $1800 worth of work to what I can assume was probably still a $30k + dollar purchase. I'd be pissed if it was me in those shoes...

To the OP, if you were in Mass, any oil leak or fluid leak of any kind is grounds for a failed inspection. Any and all used vehicles must be sold in a "passable" state, and if they don't pass inspection, the sale can be reversed or the seller can be held responsible for helping or paying in full for the repair.

Where are you and what are your "lemon" laws? In Mass, even though everyone calls it the lemon law, its the "Used Vehicle Owner Warranty Rights Act". Do you know your rules in your state? Did you have to have the vehicle inspected after the sale?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yeah, I'm on the OP's side here, from what I got out of the story, the private seller f*cked him by wiping the oil clean when he looked at the Truck, and then after the sale the OP finds out he needs $1800 worth of work to what I can assume was probably still a $30k + dollar purchase. I'd be pissed if it was me in those shoes...

To the OP, if you were in Mass, any oil leak or fluid leak of any kind is grounds for a failed inspection. Any and all used vehicles must be sold in a "passable" state, and if they don't pass inspection, the sale can be reversed or the seller can be held responsible for helping or paying in full for the repair.

Where are you and what are your "lemon" laws? In Mass, even though everyone calls it the lemon law, its the "Used Vehicle Owner Warranty Rights Act". Do you know your rules in your state? Did you have to have the vehicle inspected after the sale?
True. Lemon Laws vary from state to state. At the very least if the seller violated the law he will be forced to reimburse you for the repairs.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not to be critical of the OP here, the world is an imperfect place and there are scumbags in it unfortunately. That said, I think this is a case where future buyers might see the value in dropping a couple hundred bucks for a thorough bumper to bumper evaluation by a trusted experienced independent mechanic. That said, to the OP, you can only look forward at this point. The Tundra is a well built truck that should provide you with years faithful service after having the rear main seal fixed. In the big picture, if you keep it until 200K+ miles, this $1500-$1800 will be long forgotten. Best of luck - get a few more estimates.

Reactions: Powertechn2

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'd use a tree shade mechanic if I can't do it myself b/c I'm cheap and just that dang shady. Maybe you can learn a few things and gain a few tools if you do it with a friend that has the know how?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.