Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dipstick sucks...is that on purpose?

I'm trying to figure out if my oil level is correct or is high...

I ran the engine to get it up to temp and shut it down to check.

Usually the stick comes out smeared so it is really hard to get a true good reading. I read a suggestion to roughen up the tip with some sandpaper to give the oil something to stick to. I rand the grit so that the scratches ran across the dipstick thinking that would work better to counteract the smearing.

Bingo, it works like a charm and I now have a clean mark on the level of the oil.

But the problem is that there are two different levels depending on which side to read. The side that faces the engine reads above the fill line and the side away from it reads between the marks?

Which one is accurate?

I'm worried that the oil change place over filled and I don't want any problems from it. I've gone about 250 miles since the change, so I'm hoping it hasn't already created an issue.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Apparently, no one knows the answer to this. Not Toyota, not a tech in the service department, not the lube place where I had it done.

Do you guys get the same reading on both sides of the dipstick? It's not making sense to me particularly because when I draw it out, it should be the other way around unless the oil reservoir is completely different than what I'm thinking...

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All the DIY oil change guys here and no one has run into this issue? Or do you just fill it with oil and forget it?

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
1. never heard of this.
2. on your receipt, how much oil did they fill it with?

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Or you could like wait more than 2 hours for your answers. It's the middle of the day and people are working, man.

I've seen this on other vehicles. Haven't changed the oil on my Tundra yet. Usually it's because the dipstick sits at an angle in the pan so one side is higher than the other.

Just count what you put in.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It doesn't say...I called them but then they transferred me to a voicemail because the tech probably thought I was nuts and/or was in over his head...

He said, "You only read one side of the dipstick."

Well what if they two sides have different readings?

"Well then we look at the one that is between the two marks."

How do you know that's the right one?

"Let me transfer you to a service manager."

I'll call back and see how much oil they put in.

Go check your oil and tell me that I'm crazy...I couldn't get a good reading until I used the sandpaper where my super slippery stuff had something to create a little surface tension.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
WTF kinda place did you get an oil change at that doesn't put how many quarts they charged you for on the receipt? :confused:

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I don't have the receipt handy...what I was looking at was the Service Review which was basically the suggested stuff and different mileage intervals.

I just got off the phone with them and their records show that it was 7.4 qts with the filter and I was there when they were doing the change and saw the guy measure out some oil to add to the full 7 qts, since I brought my own oil.

I talked to the mgr just now and he says he always uses the lower reading as the guide from his experience with Nissans as they have weird oil designs and this is always what they suggest...

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I noticed this condition, always thought it might be cause the dipstick tube has a few bends. I always use the side that has the mark, I also always insert it so the side with the mark is facing the crank as it enters the pan.

I've found that as I get older repetition has its uses...

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine has and indentation on one side and a dentation on the other, so either side will work. If I go with the side that I think is facing the engine it reads high....In looking at how the tube goes in I think it's more about the topside of the dipstick and the underside of the dipstick as it enters the oilpan.

Roughing up the surface really helps the oil to adhere better....This is what is the underside of the dipstick...as you put it in it faces away from the engine.

Photos were taken with the engine cold.

This is what the topside looks like:

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Just looked at mine and its the same as yours :)

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I'm bad too, but you have to relax. I usually read off the side not facing the engine. Toyota does all my oil changes, so I know they do it right. Read the back side, you will be safe.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Yota tech at the dealership just said read the side that's lower. I asked while I was here.

FWIW

1 - 18 of 18 Posts