Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been giving serious consideration to either painting my bumpers black or doing Line-x so I decided to plasti-dip them to get an idea of how they would look. I think I like it but of course the chrome grill surround now stands out so I am thinking it should be color matched silver sky. What do you guys think about the black and do you think the grill surround would be better black or color matched?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Paint the whole truck black! It would look cool with the rims.

Reactions: 2010

·
Registered
608 Posts
grill surround and front bumper should be color matched and rear bumper black. I would also see how you like the grill surround black

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
I think black grille surround would make it too much black. If you want to keep the front bumper black, color match the surround.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks cool,
I always wanted... thought about.. PDing the front bumper, and also that valance above the bumper.. I think that would look tough.

How was the prep for the PD? how many cans for both bumpers..
i'd like to do mine, but i really hate doing the prep work, lol :D
Honestly, no prep work other than cleaning the bumpers. I did very minimal taping/covering as well (b/c I was lazy) and it actually turned out rather well. In the one pic of the rear bumper you can see some chrome around the sensors on the left where it peeled off when I tried to get some excess off of the sensor though. I put 4 coats on each bumper and it took one can per bumper.

I actually had some over spray on the front valiance that you are talking about that I peeled off but you are right, I think it actually looked really good with it on and I may go ahead and spray it too. I had previously tried to do the grill surround but it requires a lot of taping and when I tried to peel it off it got jacked up so I am hesitant to try again.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Hmm I was thinking about dipping mine but I just put my new grill on and I dipped my chrome grille surround so I dont think it will look nice but yours is nice!

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow I'm surprised you only used 1 can per bumper. I did 5 heavy coats and that took me 5 cans total.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
If I planned to make this more permanent then I probably would have used 2 cans per bumper but really this is more of a test to make sure I like the look before I drop the coin on Line-x.

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts
I think grill surround color matched for sure. Get that done and leave the PD on and you'll see if u should color match front bumper or not...may look good black, don't recall ever seeing that setup.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I actually really like it the way you have it. I would say that the black surround would be too black. I think a color matched would look real smooth. Did you clear coat the black? I just did mine white with clear and I think it makes it look better. If you wanted to save some money over Line-X that'd be a way to go. Either way, your truck is looking good!

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I actually really like it the way you have it. I would say that the black surround would be too black. I think a color matched would look real smooth. Did you clear coat the black? I just did mine white with clear and I think it makes it look better. If you wanted to save some money over Line-X that'd be a way to go. Either way, your truck is looking good!
Thanks man, no clear coat or anything, I did it pretty cheap and easy to be honest but it actually turned out well. I do like the idea of the line-x for durability though. Oh, and I agree that doing the surround black would be too much.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Oh you have motorized. Sweet. I wouldn't lose those.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, may just suck it up next weekend and do the bhlm, if I ruin them then I could buy something else. .. need to save some money where I can since I'm sure my wife is getting a little tired of my 4 wheel money pit. :D

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 28 Posts