Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seven winters of road salt, my Amp Research bed step (the same one Toyota sells) looked really bad. A couple coats of Dip makes a big improvement.
I suggest that anyone who has a bed step should coat it with Dip to prevent the original paint from flaking off before you have a problem.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
Hey mendonsy my doublecab twin brother!
Funny you should mention this, I am in the process
of marooning out the chrome/black and this was on my list!
I am going to color match the step...I am going to add some shark tooth
before the top coat is applied so its not slippery...did the dip make it slick?
looks good btw.
Tamu

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you prep it at all?
I did some cleanup (obviously) but not a whole lot. I thought about wire brushing it, but didn't want to damage the plastic end caps.
How does the dip hold stepping on it?
I haven't used it all that much yet, but it doesn't seem to be too bad.
Hey mendonsy my doublecab twin brother!
Funny you should mention this, I am in the process
of marooning out the chrome/black and this was on my list!
I am going to color match the step...I am going to add some shark tooth
before the top coat is applied so its not slippery...did the dip make it slick?
looks good btw.
Tamu
I am planning to let the first coat cure for a week then apply a second coat with a little bit of coarse sand mixed in to get the rough surface back.
When you get the correct mix for Salsa Red Pearl Dip figured out you should market it!

Reactions: TAMUTUNDRA

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
I did some cleanup (obviously) but not a whole lot. I thought about wire brushing it, but didn't want to damage the plastic end caps.

I haven't used it all that much yet, but it doesn't seem to be too bad.

I am planning to let the first coat cure for a week then apply a second coat with a little bit of coarse sand mixed in to get the rough surface back.
When you get the correct mix for Salsa Red Pearl Dip figured out you should market it!
In the works as we speak....:D

·
Registered
945 Posts
After seven winters of road salt, my Amp Research bed step (the same one Toyota sells) looked really bad. A couple coats of Dip makes a big improvement.
I suggest that anyone who has a bed step should coat it with Dip to prevent the original paint from flaking off before you have a problem.
How long did you have the step before that started happening?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
It won't period. When my fingers can rub it to make it peel off this won't work.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Actually, it works better than I expected. I thought that it would peel off too, but so far it's holding up OK.
It's been 5 months and is holding up well. If it turns out that I have to re-dip it once a year, I can live with that. It gives me an excuse to buy some more dip!

·
Registered
124 Posts
If your dipping it black, I don't know why you just wouldn't linex it so it's nonslip and and durable.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If your dipping it black, I don't know why you just wouldn't linex it so it's nonslip and and durable.
Well ... I have the Plasti-Dip but I didn't have any Linex so I tried the Dip to see how it would work.
Linex is probably a good way to do it, but the Dip is holding up OK so far.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Well ... I have the Plasti-Dip but I didn't have any Linex so I tried the Dip to see how it would work.
Linex is probably a good way to do it, but the Dip is holding up OK so far.
That makes sense then if you already had Plasti-Dip on hand. It's cheaper too I guess. I just figured with Linex you could paint it once and be done with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts