Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked crutch field to see what size speakers fit my 2010 crewmax and it was showing me a few different sizes?

I just want to replace stock speakers with something decent but i don't know what size to order?

I read on the forum about you guys using special brackets so is that something that is required to install any speakers or just a certain size?

Thank you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
333 Posts
You have 6x9's in the front and 6.5's in the rear. The most common thing to do is replace them all with 6.5's. If you order from Crutchfield, they will throw in the speaker brackets for free. Otherwise you can either buy them from someplace for $12-$20 per pair or make your own. Some people will tear up the stock speaker to make a bracket for the new ones but I like to save my stock stuff so the truck can go back to stock if I sell it and putting a 6.5" speaker in a 6x9 hole doesn't seal real well.

Reactions: jimr78

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok awesome! Crutch field have me options of 5 1/4 and 6 1/2 and 6x9. I wonder where they got the 5 1/4?

Anyway, what is the benefit of going to 6-1/2 vs the 6x9? Excuse my absence of knowledge here?

My main reason for swapping is that I get very little volume before I get distortion and that is with the bass levels almost all the way down.

Is this normal for our trucks? I have the regular sr5 TRD without the jbl system.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ok awesome! Crutch field have me options of 5 1/4 and 6 1/2 and 6x9. I wonder where they got the 5 1/4?

Anyway, what is the benefit of going to 6-1/2 vs the 6x9? Excuse my absence of knowledge here?

My main reason for swapping is that I get very little volume before I get distortion and that is with the bass levels almost all the way down.

Is this normal for our trucks? I have the regular sr5 TRD without the jbl system.

i think you get more power handling and more overall sound stage from a 6x9 due to its size...however a 6.5 is more accurate

the main question is: coaxials or components?

Reactions: jimr78

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe I will go with the coax, all in one and no need to install separate tweeters. Correct?

I'm not looking to win any sound contests, I just want a decent sound. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any specific brand going with the coaxial speakers?

I was looking at kicker, Polk, Memphis and infinity....

·
Registered
232 Posts
Any specific brand going with the coaxial speakers?

I was looking at kicker, Polk, Memphis and infinity....

i have had infiniti kappas a few times..they are pretty nice sounding. kicker used to be solid, but i have seen them at wal mart lately..not saying that means they are bad but i wonder if they are catering to the cheaper crowd now...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Kicker has low and high end stuff, don't buy a 79.00 pair but some of the upper end stuff is very nice. Memphis is great product there stuff is better than most competitors at almost any price range they offer, not saying they are the best but they are very good and an excellent value!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts