Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Lots of confusion out there, going to try our best to get the facts on this topic in one place. There have been a decent amount of iterations of the 5.7L kit out there and some folks swapping parts around so please understand this will cover the majority of combinations sold either through Toyota or Magnuson.

First topic, airbox details. We have made the attached chart to help. The MAF diameter is very important. Changing it will change the reading from the MAF sensor. The smaller the MAF diameter, the more air the MAF sensor thinks is going through the engine. The Unichip can intercept this and adjust but the Bullydog and TRD tunes have to have the larger MAF diameter to avoid maxing out the sensor in some instances. This is illustrated by when the TRD kit launched in 2014 with a 92mm MAF airbox lid and a small amount of users experienced a P101 code and had to change to a 98mm airbox lid and 07-13 airbox base. There is a Toyota/TRD TSB about this.

Before Magnuson had a full tune and was selling kits for use with the Unichip there were a few kits released without an airbox, they were designed to use the stock 91mm airbox and a Unichip. When Magnuson launched the full kit with Bullydog calibration we put the 98mm airbox lid, mating filter, base and coupler in the kit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
First of all, thanks for the info!

Now the big question - if the Magnuson supplied intake tube diameter is the same as the TRD supplied one at 98 mm, what is the reason for us being told that the TRD ECM reflash will not work with the Magnuson kit?

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First of all, thanks for the info!

Now the big question - if the Magnuson supplied intake tube diameter is the same as the TRD supplied one at 98 mm, what is the reason for us being told that the TRD ECM reflash will not work with the Magnuson kit?
Warranty/Liability. The Dealer should only pair a TRD/Toyota calibration with a TRD/Toyota product. Imagine an extreme example to help illustrate the point: Say you went in to the dealership with a 2015 Tundra, still under warranty with twin turbos installed and asked for a TRD SC calibration. Toyota/TRD is just trying to protect themselves from hardware that is now not under their control.

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts

Warranty/Liability. The Dealer should only pair a TRD/Toyota calibration with a TRD/Toyota product. Toyota/TRD is just trying to protect themselves from hardware that is now not under their control.
I completely agree with that as far as the dealer is concerned.

However, it is Magnuson and their representatives that are putting out the statement that the kits, and even the blowers themselves, are not interchangeable and the TRD flash WILL NOT work with a Magnuson product - period.

That was the thing I found frustrating - calling Magnuson sales line and being told categorically that the Mag blower cannot be installed on my truck with the TRD fit kit, and, that even if I wanted to buy the complete Mag fit kit, I would have to get rid of my TRD tuned ECM and buy Unichip or Bullydog to run it.

If I were to buy a full Magnuson kit, I would be much more inclined to run a free factory Toyota TRD flash rather than a $500 Unichip/Bullydog, assuming my truck is 07-15, and the flash exists for it.
In my situation, I have access to the hardware and software needed to program the ECM, and I realize that installing a Magnuson blower on my truck will automatically void my warranty regardless of what engine management system I use.

So, now that you have clarified that the kits are for all intents and purposes identical as far as the consumer (not Toyota) is concerned, I am satisfied.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback, we are grateful to have the second chance to set things straight. Thank you Tundratalk! I have spoke with our sales team internally and hopefully resolved the issue. I'll talk to Sparks as well.

Just an FYI, our supercharger only is Magnuson Part number 02-19-57-107-BL, no fit kit. Also, TRD should have service superchargers in their system although I know they are probably hard to come by. The TRD service supercharger has the same part number as it did in production: PTR29-00140.

Back to that install.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
ok Thank you for creating this and clearing up some confusion.

I was told by Bullydog that in order for me to install a tune for my 2014 SC Tundra was to get the model number 40480 from magnuson, Is this true, will it work with my TRD Supercharger. Also I purchased a Bullydog 40417 GT Platium thinking it would work (before i read the forums), Can I use the tune loaded on the 40480 on my 40417 to tune the truck, and can you supply this as a download or do I need to purchase it from you.

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
ok Thank you for creating this and clearing up some confusion.

I was told by Bullydog that in order for me to install a tune for my 2014 SC Tundra was to get the model number 40480 from magnuson, Is this true, will it work with my TRD Supercharger. Also I purchased a Bullydog 40417 GT Platium thinking it would work (before i read the forums), Can I use the tune loaded on the 40480 on my 40417 to tune the truck, and can you supply this as a download or do I need to purchase it from you.

Thank you.
We've been beating them up for it for a while now, 40480 is the tuner m/n. I know my 40417 will need to come off the truck and either install it on the wife's sequioa or sell it. Cmon mag give us a tune. We obviously don't care about a warranty seeing as we installed a supercharger on our flex fuel truck ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts