Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed 5100s on mid setting last year and didn't bother with the diff drop kit. I decided to go to max setting the other day and now need to add the diff drop. I went to do the install the other day but couldn't find the instructions and the online ones didn't help. Not even sure which brand it is anymore. Anyways, it seemed straight forward enough so I went ahead and did it. Just want to confirm it is correct.

The kit came with 2 longer bolts with nuts and washers, 2 large spacers, and 3 smaller ones.

I assumed that the 2 big spacers went between the 2 front diff mounts and the crossmember with the new longer bolts. Correct? Only 2 points to drop?

The other 3 spacers is what threw me. I assumed they are to drop the skid plate at the 3 rear mount points. Correct? Problem is that the original bolts aren't long enough to use the spacers and the kits didn't come with longer ones. I ended up using the original bolts without the spacers but now the skid plate is tight against the diff mounting bolts. Is this ok? Should I get longer bolts? Anybody know the size?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Everything sounds about right except that they should have sent longer bolts for the three back skid plate holes. You are probably ok without the diff drop but if you have the parts then I would do it as it is cheap insurance and easy to perform. My diff drop kit did include the longer bolts for the skid plate. Stop by the hardware store and pick up a couple longer bolts to be safe and get the skid plate off the diff a bit.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Everything sounds about right except that they should have sent longer bolts for the three back skid plate holes. You are probably ok without the diff drop but if you have the parts then I would do it as it is cheap insurance and easy to perform. My diff drop kit did include the longer bolts for the skid plate. Stop by the hardware store and pick up a couple longer bolts to be safe and get the skid plate off the diff a bit.
My skid plate only had three bolts: two in the front and one in the back. I still haven't put it back on yet after I put my leveling kit on because it was such a pain. It's almost impossible to get it lined up with the holes when using the spacers that came with the leveling kit.

What size are the three bolts in the back? I might get a few myself.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
I used double sided tape to put the spacers in the right place on the truck. Then it was easy to mount the skid plate with longer bolts.

·
Registered
42 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, I feel better about the install now. I will get longer bolts. Anybody know what size they should be?

·
Registered
433 Posts
With the diff drop, it drops the front, but the back of the diff is still in same place so the diff now "tilts" forward. This is more noticeable with the front drivers wheel removed.

Is everyone else like this too?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With the diff drop, it drops the front, but the back of the diff is still in same place so the diff now "tilts" forward. This is more noticeable with the front drivers wheel removed.

Is everyone else like this too?
This is what I noticed and what made me question the install. I assumed the whole diff would drop, not just tilt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts