Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was changing my oil on my 2008 5.7 tundra today and I noticed something that I have never noticed before. Near the engine mount bracket there seems to be a piece that snapped off? Picture below.. One picture is of the drivers side and the other is the passenger side. Can someone tell me it there was something there and it did indeed snap off? :eek: Or is it suppose to look like that?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
My 2017 engine mounts are totally different, so no help there.

Observations:
(1) On the top picture (driver side), the frame mount has a vertical flange that extends out beyond the "boxed" mount section until it is two-thirds way around the round component.

(2) On the lower picture (passenger side?), the frame mount may have a vertical flange (hard to tell from the photo) but the extent is only about total one-third way around the round component.

(3) The lower picture also seems to have a fracture surface just about at the one-third point where the flange would continue out beyond the "boxed" frame mount, but there is obviously no flange beyond the "boxed" section.

(4) There appear to be saw or other cutting tool marks on the "boxed" portion of the passenger side frame mount. Made any enemies lately?

My assumption is that the two sides started out symmetrical. If that is an incorrect assumption for 2008, then someone else will have to let us know.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I'm curious. I'm at work so I can't check until tomorrow.
This what I think you will find: I have illustrated (as best I can) my observations using the driver side mount. If the two sides are symmetrical, the "missing" part should be obvious on the passenger side.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Thanks for your input oldguy but Im still confused....Why would someone cut this part off? Anyone else have a Picture?
It may not have been cut off, but if someone cut on the boxed section/flange with a recip saw, they could make a stress rising notch where constant loading and unloading leads to fatigue failure.

As I said, there appears to be a fracture surface on the vertical flange AT the boxed section. Your picture is not good enough to see if a crack progressed across the end of the boxed section, but I suspect that is what happened even if does look like it was cleanly cut. I'm speculating long distance, but that surface seen on the flange end was probably the last "snapping off" of the missing part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts