Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
first let me say hello im Ned
I am new to this forum, using my phone to type so please excuse the sloppy grammar.
i have a 2010 tundra 4wd automatic with 47,000 miles owned it since new never had any issues with her. up until now.
i recently sold my old boat and went on a day trip to buy a bigger one..
After the deal was struck. i went to pull the used boat and trailer out of the water.. the launch was slipper so i put it in 4wd .
once out of the water with the 5,000 lb boat i proceed to drive down the dirt road then directly onto the highway i noticed it was towing differently then it did with my old smaller boat, but i figured it was because of beat trailer tires and the heaver boat ..
After about 20 minutes i smelled a odd smell now and then. but was not sure if it was me or other cars, all the temps were fine nothing was over heating at least anything with a sensor or a gauge .I eventually pulled over after 30 miles down the hwy at 60 /65 mps . I then realized i was still in 4wd took it out of 4wd ran fine but i can still smell the funky odd possibly burnt eggs/ gear oil smell two weeks later.. OK what did i screw up?? what is causing the smell .. its coming from the front of the truck and not the exhaust.. again all works perfect in and out of 4wd but still smells..

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Ned

·
Registered
307 Posts
I can't think of why you would get a burnt smell from that. You should probably be fine. Towing in 4x4 shouldn't hurt anything. 4wd on pavement isn't the best for your truck but if you didn't take a lot of sharp turns you should be fine.

·
Registered
180 Posts
first let me say hello im Ned
I am new to this forum, using my phone to type so please excuse the sloppy grammar.
i have a 2010 tundra 4wd automatic with 47,000 miles owned it since new never had any issues with her. up until now.
i recently sold my old boat and went on a day trip to buy a bigger one..
After the deal was struck. i went to pull the used boat and trailer out of the water.. the launch was slipper so i put it in 4wd .
once out of the water with the 5,000 lb boat i proceed to drive down the dirt road then directly onto the highway i noticed it was towing differently then it did with my old smaller boat, but i figured it was because of beat trailer tires and the heaver boat ..
After about 20 minutes i smelled a odd smell now and then. but was not sure if it was me or other cars, all the temps were fine nothing was over heating at least anything with a sensor or a gauge .I eventually pulled over after 30 miles down the hwy at 60 /65 mps . I then realized i was still in 4wd took it out of 4wd ran fine but i can still smell the funky odd possibly burnt eggs/ gear oil smell two weeks later.. OK what did i screw up?? what is causing the smell .. its coming from the front of the truck and not the exhaust.. again all works perfect in and out of 4wd but still smells..

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Ned
I would start with a front diff gear oil change. When you drain the fluid, it should be obvious if the burnt smell you describe is that fluid. If not, move on to the transfer case and do the same. In fact, even if you find the front diff gear oil is burnt, I would probably go ahead and change the transfer case gear oil anyways. If the diff got hot enough to eject some gear oil through the vent, you may also find some signs of that. Gear oil stinks, even worse when its burnt. If it is neither, at least you have fresh gear oil up front :).

I believe, your '10 has a trans temp gauge, so that would probably have been obvious at the time.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Hey Ned,

My owner's manual doesn't specify a limit for driving in 4WD. Only for engaging/disengaging it.

Yours is likely the same, since the powertrains haven't changed.

Smells can be difficult to locate. You've got gear lube where it shouldn't be.

There is a vent (breather) on the rear diff that has an external check valve - intended to prevent water intrusion if the diff is briefly submerged, and provide a vent path for normal conditions. Sometimes, due to corrosion, dirt, these things fail. Maybe you got water in the rear diff on the ramp, and the oil/water mix is venting out.

Use Google to search "rear differential vent tundra." Here's just one result:

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-general-discussion/310922-rear-differential-fluid-color.html

Your front diff should have a similar vent, since your smell seems to be in front. Google search for more info.

Same for the transfer case.

Another possibility is an axle seal leak. Have you done a visual inspection?

Any of these issues can have significant consequences. Please don't ignore.

My apologies if none of this helps - just suggesting some obvious issues.

I see your post count = 1. You need to post a thread in New Member Introductions to participate further in TT.

Best Regards,

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I'm guessing that you severely overheated the front differential fluid and may have perhaps blown a seal and fluid has leaked or been flung onto the underside of the vehicle and that is what you are smelling.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The front diff and transfer case don't care if it is spinning at high speed's. Look at Jeeps from 1997+ Rams from 2003 till about 2014. Front diff's have no A.D.D. or hubs. But not knowing when last time fluid was changed prolly not a bad idea. But running in 4wd would be bad on turns and you would feel the bucking. Also lube the Ujoints and see if any of the old lube flung onto exhaust because it was turning too.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm guessing that you severely overheated the front differential fluid and may have perhaps blown a seal and fluid has leaked or been flung onto the underside of the vehicle and that is what you are smelling.
What would cause it to over heat? Simply running in 4wd even when towing or on pavement shouldn't do that? If it were overheating wouldn't that indicate another problem that caused it?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I don't think the front diffs on these trucks were designed to travel at 65 mph down the freeway under load for 30 miles. That's a lot of stress on it for something it wasn't designed to do so it wouldn't really bu unusual for it to get rather warm. If it got warm enough and caused excessive pressure in the front diff it is very possible that some fluid may have traveled up the front diff vent and seeped out, wouldn't be the 1st time this has happened to a vehicle. Of course all of this is just speculation on my part, we won;t know for sure until the OP inspects everything.

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
I think @Jrock817 can help you, hes been under water a few times. He knows his stuff. Let's hope he chimes in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On ever ones advice i did go ahead and replace all the fluids.
9 quarts of royal purple for the front differential the transfer case and the rear differential.. There was some residue of oil around the vent on the front differential.. The oil did smell burnt but no metal chunks or shavings .. so i guess i'm fine.. seeing as i don't drive the truck very often, time will tell.

Thanks
Regards Ned

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I don't think the front diffs on these trucks were designed to travel at 65 mph down the freeway under load for 30 miles. That's a lot of stress on it for something it wasn't designed to do so it wouldn't really bu unusual for it to get rather warm.
i've never had a problem with doing that. i helped a buddy of mine move in the winter after a snow fall and i had no problems pulling a full loaded uhaul trailer (6X12) helping him move from his old house to his new house. and it also shouldn't have gotten hot if he was just driving along and not making any sharp turns, being that the manual instructs drivers to activate the 4wd periodically for 10 miles to get things moving from lack of use if 4wd isn't needed that often.

·
Registered
13 Posts
http://instagr.am/p//
Thanks for your very technical explanation. Could you go further into depth or is 8 posts in 4+years about all you got in you?
Since you asked; The idea that driving in 4 wheel drive for 30 minutes on the highway caused so much heat that it ruined his differential, is so ridiculous that it couldn't go unanswered, so much so that it warranted a dead thread revival. It is well known that driving in 4wd on dry pavement can damage differential gears due to the difference in rotational speed of the tires as the vehicle turns sharply, a condition that does not occur on the highway. Even in the unlikely circumstance that the OP was driving in continuous circles while towing on the highway, the resulting damage would not be some sort of super heated lava differential oil that melts axle seals in mere minutes.
Whats worse, is that given the most vague symptom, you determined not just a possible cause, but the LIKELY cause of the symptoms and the resulting damage. With this kind of diagnostic clairvoyance, you should be hiring out your services to top manufacturers, especially if you can make such specific diagnoses with the most vague symptoms, and without even seeing the vehicle.
Let me offer an analogy, I am in Medicine, and lets say a patient tells me he has abdominal pain, and with no other assessment or even looking at the patient, I determine, not possible causes such as indigestion, gas, or stomach ulcers, but determine that the LIKELY cause is Metastatic Hepatocellular Carcinoma AND that the pain is a result of the cancer spreading to his bones. Do you see how absolutely ridiculous that sounds?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I don't think the front diffs on these trucks were designed to travel at 65 mph down the freeway under load for 30 miles. That's a lot of stress on it for something it wasn't designed to do so it wouldn't really bu unusual for it to get rather warm. If it got warm enough and caused excessive pressure in the front diff it is very possible that some fluid may have traveled up the front diff vent and seeped out, wouldn't be the 1st time this has happened to a vehicle. Of course all of this is just speculation on my part, we won;t know for sure until the OP inspects everything.
On ever ones advice i did go ahead and replace all the fluids.
9 quarts of royal purple for the front differential the transfer case and the rear differential.. There was some residue of oil around the vent on the front differential.. The oil did smell burnt but no metal chunks or shavings .. so i guess i'm fine.. seeing as i don't drive the truck very often, time will tell.

Thanks
Regards Ned
http://instagr.am/p// Since you asked; The idea that driving in 4 wheel drive for 30 minutes on the highway caused so much heat that it ruined his differential, is so ridiculous that it couldn't go unanswered, so much so that it warranted a dead thread revival. It is well known that driving in 4wd on dry pavement can damage differential gears due to the difference in rotational speed of the tires as the vehicle turns sharply, a condition that does not occur on the highway. Even in the unlikely circumstance that the OP was driving in continuous circles while towing on the highway, the resulting damage would not be some sort of super heated lava differential oil that melts axle seals in mere minutes.
Whats worse, is that given the most vague symptom, you determined not just a possible cause, but the LIKELY cause of the symptoms and the resulting damage. With this kind of diagnostic clairvoyance, you should be hiring out your services to top manufacturers, especially if you can make such specific diagnoses with the most vague symptoms, and without even seeing the vehicle.
Let me offer an analogy, I am in Medicine, and lets say a patient tells me he has abdominal pain, and with no other assessment or even looking at the patient, I determine, not possible causes such as indigestion, gas, or stomach ulcers, but determine that the LIKELY cause is Metastatic Hepatocellular Carcinoma AND that the pain is a result of the cancer spreading to his bones. Do you see how absolutely ridiculous that sounds?

I merely said that the fluid more than likely overheated and perhaps blew a seal and oil got flung out or may have traveled up the vent and that is what the OP was smelling. Why did I say this you may ask? Well after 30 years of being a professional automotive technician I have seen this exact scenario play out many times over the years which resulted in overheated fluid. I also said that this was pure speculation on my part however judging by the OP's last post it looks like my assessment was pretty accurate.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts