Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed the creaky rattle where the dashboard meets the windshield has gone away. No idea how this happened. Maybe whatever was creaking wore itself down enough to stop. Hey, whatever. Just glad its gone.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
^^ I was going to say the same thing. Creacks seem to go away with warm weather only to return the next winter. I had one in my 2007 that drove me crazy. It only happened when it was real cold out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I wonder what fell off...?

My '02 has rattled under the dash since I've had it.
My '14 hasn't started yet but the first major road trip comes up in four weeks!

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
I still have the constant vibration coming from under the glove box. Absolutely infuriating.
I am constantly giving the passenger side area the stink eye when I am driving due to every crack in the road making it rattle over there.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am constantly giving the passenger side area the stink eye when I am driving due to every crack in the road making it rattle over there.

Ditto on that one! I never had any rattles in my '07. I think it is ridiculous that a truck this expensive should have interior rattles/vibrations.

·
Registered
163 Posts
as soon as we had some nice weather here (+5C) the squeaks in my dash were all but gone. now its back down to -10 and the squeaks are back. Makes it hard to diagnose for sure

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
As for a rattle under the glovebox... I had this issue on my fj, dealer said they couldn't duplicate it when driving.
I found at a specific rpm I could duplicate it, so I did this with the service manager in the truck and voila, he went got a tech, I did the same thing and it turned out a wire harness under there would just vibe at right rpm under a load...

Anyways, he just wrapped some foam tape around it and it went away.

I just put it in gear, applied throttle till the vibration noise was there, try it. if you can duplicate it this way do it at the dealership. Or feel around up under there see what it is. If it is the glovebox itself try a little bit of foam tape in the corner(s).

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
My creak/rattle coming from the glove box area has subsided since the warmer weather has arrived. Dealer said they fixed it but it was present and accounted for during the last sub freezing day.

I have heard from a few people that it is the wiring harness that runs under the dash top. I will be tackling it soon.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,231 Posts
I had it and it went away when I replaced my stereo

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
I just put it in gear, applied throttle till the vibration noise was there, try it. if you can duplicate it this way do it at the dealership. Or feel around up under there see what it is. If it is the glovebox itself try a little bit of foam tape in the corner(s).
I put some of those 'bump stop's that you put on corners of cabinets on the edges of the glove box - they're clear and don't look out of place when you open it but the box is tight and doesn't rattle now :).

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,231 Posts
Anybody have a diagram or write up on removing the glove box?

You can remove the actual glove box by opening it, Pushing inward on the sides until the pins come out and it will fall out.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Mine did the day until I traded it in on a Tundra

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
glove box rattle - take glove box out and insulate any exposed behind or above or below it. Also, use those felt strips in matching black it seems like the new 2014 glove boxes are not the best fitting . Never had an issue on my former 2007 thru 2012 tundra's and that had 2 gloveboxes, not one.

If the upper dash is creaking up front by windshield only when say under 40 degrees or lower, I bet you 75% it is the plastic OUTSIDE moulding below wipers touching the windshield and when colder out, taps on the windshield from the OUTSIDE when you hit bumps in the road it creaks and taps. Take it into dealer and have them remove outside cowling, put double sided tape on it and re-install. If done correctly, the tapping noise should go away had to have that done on my 2007 and 2010 tundra drove me nuts for first 2 winters of each former tundra.

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
I went to lowes and bought this pack of assorted little rubber pads in varing sizes, some foam and some rubber. My center consol lid had a rattle to it, now gone. My passenger side under the dash rattled and that also now gone. I put a couple foam pads on the glove box too and that has helped as well.
They are small enough that you wouldnt even notice them at all. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts