Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013 CrewMax
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum and trying not to ask a question that has been answered before. But didn't find my exact issue. But think I may have the cause/solution. Could anyone tell me if I am on the right track or way off in left field here?

Details - 2013 Crewmax (103k, no towing or hard driving) - new rear pads and rotors 2-3 months ago. I noticed about 1 month ago the rear rotors (drum portion) were extremely hot compared to the rotor portion where the pads are applied. Even after a short 5-7 mile trip with light braking the front brakes are warm, the rears are extremely hot compared to the front. Most of the heat is isolated to the drum portion. Maybe I am way off but this doesn't seem normal to get this hot and not have an "issue" going on.

Initial Diagnostic - I suspect the e-brake is out of adjustment. This was checked to be "fine", but the problem still exists. Currently the e-brake is adjusted to the point they do not hold when applied and the excessive heating still exists under the same 5-7 mile trip.

Current Thoughts - After reading through this forum I suspect this could be related to the TSB regarding backing plates and rear brakes I kept seeing mentioned. However this was more noise related (which I don't hear/notice) and other issues of rubbing etc. However after reading the threads below I am curious if the issue is due to the new rotors rubbing onto the backing plate it appears there are grooves in the rotor and either caused by rust or something is just out of tolerance with the new rotors.... I don't think it's a bearing/hub issue, but due to the age it could be assisting with the problem?

Links that got me to where I am:
In these threads the following comments got me thinking....

Then After seeing the Image After Step 4 & Step 8 in this thread:

And comparing the new/old rotor in this thread:

·
Registered
563 Posts
The parking brake shoes are in the drum portion of the rotor. The shoes may need to be manually adjusted or the parking brake cable isn’t releasing all the way.

·
Registered
2013 CrewMax
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The parking brake shoes are in the drum portion of the rotor. The shoes may need to be manually adjusted or the parking brake cable isn’t releasing all the way.
That was my thought but I have the parking brake currently adjusted to a point they don't hold so unless they are still able to "drag" but not even be able to engage I am perplexed to the heat creation i am seeing... thoughts? Anyone?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have you checked to make sure the rear calipers aren’t hanging up? Is it both sides? Did you have a hard time getting the rear pads installed? A long time ago, my buddy got some pads that had just a little too much meat on them and he had a pretty hard time getting them to fit even with the pistons pushed back all the way and the pads rubbed against the rotors without even having to touch the brakes. It would be very unusual that you have this problem, but you never know

·
Registered
2013 CrewMax
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just wanted to follow up on this thread. I looped in my brother in law that works at a small shop about an hour away. He had this diagnosed pretty quick. I feel like a meathead, but I feel the (2) other shops I visited to address this is issue are more of a meathead than I. The issue were the front calipers were fully seized. Only the rear brakes were engaging. All is fixed and I didn't realize I was use to stopping with only the rear brakes. Now it's a completely different experience. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts