Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

So being on a biased thread...lol...which of my builds do you like best?

161 - 180 of 589 Posts

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Been looking at those antennas, you threw me over the fence so ordered it.
cool, thanks Dawg!
Hold off guys...I am now driving around with it more today and may not be that thrilled with it. I live close to a +10K Ft. mountain with radio antennas on top, so we get great signal coverage. But I am noticing that if I drive close to an obstuction between me and the tower (like behind a building or under a bridge), the signal cuts out whereas the stock antenna would just get weak. I may go back to Craven Speed.

Hope it works better for where you live. :(

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm in the Dallas metroplex so we will see how it works here, I figure for 15 bucks what the heck.

No matter what when I go to West Texas I have to switch to XM anyways so it's probably a wash for me.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
I'm in the Dallas metroplex so we will see how it works here, I figure for 15 bucks what the heck.

No matter what when I go to West Texas I have to switch to XM anyways so it's probably a wash for me.
Howdy :)

I had a shorty on my F250 because the parking garage where I used to work destroyed my stock antenna. In Dallas proper, or really anywhere within about 20 miles of the antennas, it was fine. But, I live near Denton. Even the stock whippy antenna goes in and out of HD up here *sometimes* but the shorty did it *all the time*. That doesn't seem like a big deal but when it's constantly getting then losing the HD signal... it can get annoying. especially since there is no way to tell the radio to skip HD and avoid the bouncing back and forth. I've opted to keep the stock one on this truck because I don't have a parking garage to worry about anymore and I like HD radio. that shorty looks cool but it would drive me insane, lol

Reactions: Desert Dawg

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 · (Edited)
We have been having such consistent and sometimes violent rain storms these past few weeks that it has been hard to keep the truck cleaned for any real photo opportunities; I lucked out yesterday with a break in the weather so grabbed these near my home last night at dusk:

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 · (Edited)
I got a cool invite from my old T4R.org forum members looking to form a local/regional 4-wheeling adventure group. The Tundra is too big to go where the 4Runners can go (or at least where I use to take mine) but I suggested maybe I can tow along as a haul/chase rig...lol. It would be cool to get some real off roading in and see how my setup performs. In the meantime, I may take it out to the Rio Puerco and see if I can put it through the paces.

Some Rio Puerco shots with my 4Runner:

·
Registered
162 Posts
your 4runner made me look at a 4runner on the showroom floor yesterday....I sat in it and my head hits the headliner and the seat was all the way down, won't work for me. that's a good looking 4runner btw.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
your 4runner made me look at a 4runner on the showroom floor yesterday....I sat in it and my head hits the headliner and the seat was all the way down, won't work for me. that's a good looking 4runner btw.
Thanks! Did the 4Runner you sat in have the moonroof? I can't fit in them either with the moonroof so had to buy mine without one.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Great looking truck.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 · (Edited)
So I took my dash apart again today with the intention of hooking up my Rigid 30-inch LED light bar using the Air on Board (AoB) switch and switch plate I just purchased; the blue lighted LED factory-look switch was $28 and the aluminum mounting plate was another $23.50.

http://www.aironboard.com/online/toyota-replacement/tundra-2008-on.html

I got brave and cut out the hole in the upper dash panel to install the mounting plate since there are no spare factory blanks with the 1794 Edition. I went with a dual hole mount since I had some factory switch blanks from my 4Runner that are the same size as the AoB switch in case I ever want to mount anything else. I had to bend the mounting plate slightly to match the curvature of the dash panel:

The Rigid wiring harness includes a wrapped 3-wire bundle that is impossible to get through the usual firewall grommet, so I had to go down the driver-side fender inside the engine compartment and then on top of the frame and through the floor grommet under the carpeting. I had to extend the Rigid harness wiring as they do not provide you very much wiring at all, so I bundled the new wires by wrapping completely in electrical tape and then wire loom. Once through the floor, I could direct the bundle over to the door jam and then up into the dash.

The AoB LED switch snaps nicely into the mounting plate as well as the factory blank, and looks good mounted, but I could not get my new AoB switch to work. I followed their wiring schematic and got power to the switch, but nothing is getting back to the LED relay that came with the Rigid wiring harness. Speaking of Rigid, they supply you with a wiring harness but a cheapo switch that you are supposed to just plug into, but the wiring harness end connectors do not fit the switch pins; I thought I had mistakenly bought a Chinese knock-off so I can't believe Rigid has that bad of quality control and sends out the wrong switch. But then I thought no worries since I also purchased my AoB replacement switch, but now I can't get that to work either. I had purchased switches from them in the past; (2) worked fine and (1) was defective so now I am wondering if I have another defective switch. So much for easy install as I need to figure out the problem still.

Once I get it working, I will take some final installed shots as well as some exterior shots of the light output on the Rigid LED light bar.

·
Registered
480 Posts
truck looks awesome man. Definitely gonna save this build for when my pops sells his 2010 tundra and gets a new one.

Or for when i sell my titan and buy a tundra...............lawlzzzzzzzzzz

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 · (Edited)
Great build! Congrats love your style. My order Tundra then the 4runner
Great looking truck.
Wow...Just WOW!!!! Super clean and simple. Love the truck so far.
truck looks awesome man. Definitely gonna save this build for when my pops sells his 2010 tundra and gets a new one.

Or for when i sell my titan and buy a tundra...............lawlzzzzzzzzzz
Love the way your truck is turning out... but the 4runner was pure sex :drool:

Thanks guys for all the great comments on my Tundra build thus far; always encouraging to know others appreciate the vision! :beerchug:

@honda250xtitan; well, at least you have the Titan Pro4x as that would be the model I would want if looking at a Titan (I admittedly did consider one a few years back but our bad experience with the Murano turned me off to Nissan back then).

@32vsnake; thanks for the comment on my 4Runner build too as it was one my favorites for sure. If it only was a tad bigger and had more power, I am sure I would have kept it. But couldn't beat the comfort and amenities considering it could be a hardcore offroader and daily driver at the same time especially when compared to a Jeep Wrangler!

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Hey boss have you been able to hook up your LED lights yet? I would like to see the lights on if you have time. I think I am ordering the gloss finished one today!!

161 - 180 of 589 Posts