Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

So being on a biased thread...lol...which of my builds do you like best?

41 - 60 of 589 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
I will definitely be posting pics when I get it installed. I am away for a few days so I won't be installing the tonneau cover and Yakima racks for another week or so (I still have to get the racks PTM as well).

I am not sure you can mount the racks with the BakFlip unless you are prepared to totally uninstall the system every time you want to fold up the BakFlip; that is why I chose the retractable style as I can mount the bikes but still have full access to the bed for when loading the bikes (instead of trying to lift over the side of the truck) or for loading gear and other things.
I will be waiting with my breath held, expecting excellent results.

I was torn between the trifold and the retractable, and am leaning towards the retractable. Glad to see others have similar thoughts on use, and I get to let someone else guinea pig it for me!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Sub'd

Reactions: Desert Dawg

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I was able to pick up my Rigid E2 30-inch LED light bar before I left. I may not worry about trying to color match the n-Fab LED lightbar mount and leave it black.

Can't wait to hook them up!

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
My Yakima High Roller Bike Racks came in; I purchased two of them to mount over my retractabe bed cover so that I can take the bikes on our frequent trips up to southern CO while leaving the bed accessible and lockable for other gear.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Not my truck of course as I stole this pic off the Internet so you can see what I am doing. But first I have to remove the factory drop-in bedliner and get my LINEX spray-on bedliner on Monday. Then I can install the new tonneau cover and finally the Yakima system.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Well, removed my factory plastic drop-in bedliner last night and had the bed Linex'd today. Also purchased a Bedrug floor mat that will be in tomorrow.

I also installed my new Truck Covers USA American Rolling Tonneau Cover but it got too dark to take some pics (I will try and take some tomorrow). The install took me about 2.5 hours as I had to figure out some modifications to the factory rail system relocation kit as the supplied configuration didn't quite work, but all good now. The tonneau cover wasn't too hard; getting the right alignment dialed in was a real PITA but once set it was pretty straightforward. I still have to install the drain tubes. But I love the cover as it very sturdy, works like a charm, highly secure, and honestly looks fantastic too.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Also got my VicoNation Marcus 4 Video Dash Cam installed. I ran the wiring under the headliner, down the A-pillar, and under the dash to the center console to the power supply so there are no exposed wiring. I really enjoy using this as it does a fairly good job recording my off-road adventures as well as recording the idiots driving around me...lol.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not my truck of course as I stole this pic off the Internet so you can see what I am doing. But first I have to remove the factory drop-in bedliner and get my LINEX spray-on bedliner on Monday. Then I can install the new tonneau cover and finally the Yakima system.

That is awesome. Cannot wait to see how it looks on your truck.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Looking forward to your Truck Covers USA install. I'm torn between that and the Diamondback at the moment. Can't wait to see how it looks!
Thanks dpeach...I wil be posting some pics shortly. I thought about the Diamondback too as that cover will support a lot of weight but eventually thought it was a tad too commercial looking for what I was wanting to do. But a great cover for sure!

I hate this thread. Forgive me, it's my jealousy speaking.

Looks like she's coming together real nice! Can't wait to see the finished product.
That is awesome. Cannot wait to see how it looks on your truck.
Thanks guys! Should be having some new pics shortly!

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 · (Edited)
Here are some quick shots after the tonneau cover install:

I opted for the additional drop brackets in order to retain the factory rail system. You lose the front rail since the canister has to be positioned there, but you can reuse the side rails. I had to come up with a different bolt configuration than what was supplied with the relocation kit in order to re-connect the rails near the tailgate, but in the end the rails are secure and solid.

The cover fits snug and tight; once you get the alignment right, you have plenty of overlap over the rear tailgate to keep out dust and water. Getting the right configuration of shims in the right locations took some trial and error to make sure the tracks remain perpendicular to the canister in order to keep the aluminum curtain rolling straight without binding. The drain channels extend along both side rails and exit through both ends (I still have to insert the drain tubes). The aluminum slats roll smoothly inside the tracks with preset locking indents at every 12 inches. You can also open/close the tailgate with the cover fully extended. The optional keyless entry and pull rope allows you to release the locking mechanism without having to use the keys and retract fully and smoothly into the front canister. The canister is a big improvement over earlier designs of the retractable covers as it does not take up too much room at all and is not very deep allowing lots of free space still.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Took some pics with the entire bed modifications completed:

1. Linex Bedliner
2. Bed Rug Floor Mat
3. Factory Rail System Relocation
4. Truck Cover USA American Rolling Cover with Keyless Entry and Yakima Side Tracks
5. Yakima Rack System
6. Yakima High Roller Bike Racks
7. Yakima Key-alike Locks

Overall, I am extremely pleased on how it turned out. The rack system is solid and looks good IMHO as it gives some interest to the rear of the truck but also highly functional; I can add different rack systems for skiing, snowboarding, etc. and can still partially or completely remove if I ever need full access.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
My tires should be here tomorrow and the wheels on Friday. I will be installing the AMP PowerSteps this weekend along with my n-Fab/Rigid LED setup. But the Toytec lift doesn't get installed until next Tuesday...seems like a long wait to me...lol.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Took some pics with the entire bed modifications completed:

1. Linex Bedliner
2. Bed Rug Floor Mat
3. Factory Rail System Relocation
4. Truck Cover USA American Rolling Cover with Keyless Entry and Yakima Side Tracks
5. Yakima Rack System
6. Yakima High Roller Bike Racks
7. Yakima Key-alike Locks

Overall, I am extremely pleased on how it turned out. The rack system is solid and looks good IMHO as it gives some interest to the rear of the truck but also highly functional; I can add different rack systems for skiing, snowboarding, etc. and can still partially or completely remove if I ever need full access.
This looks as good as I hoped it would. Excellent choice and work thus far!

Another question, how easy is it to move the Yakima feet within the track? Just curious if you didn't need the cross bars, would it be easier to slide them forward or take them off.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
This looks as good as I hoped it would. Excellent choice and work thus far!

Another question, how easy is it to move the Yakima feet within the track? Just curious if you didn't need the cross bars, would it be easier to slide them forward or take them off.
Thanks man!

After unlocking eveything, it is quite easy:

1. You can remove the Bike Racks by simply turning the wheel mounts
2. You can then loosen the mounting towers and slide them back and forth along the entire side rail length.

and/or

3. You can remove the end caps on side rails, loosen the mounting towers, and simply slide everything out of the tracks.

If you keep your lock keys and allan wrench in your truck it is about a 2-3 min. process.

41 - 60 of 589 Posts