Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Info in this thread is my Thank you note for this community. I recently accuired '08 SCSB 5.7l truck and I am going through some updates to refresh it a bit. I was able to find bunch of helpful info here for my little projects. Thank you for the info gentlemen.
I got Denso navigation unit couple of days ago and started instalation today. Toyota face number for Denso navigation unit with "built-in type amplifier" is NSCD-W12U-B. This unit is commonly refered to on this website as "non jbl navigation" or " entune navigation".
For starters I was able to confirm that wiring diagram for this unit is aviable in Toyota Tundra 2012 EWD. I went through some related threads and believe much of the confusion related to instal of this unit could be avoided if diagram was wider known. '12 Tundra EWD related section is 14 pages long and shows connections of camera, microphone, and etc. Including connector faces and numbers.
There was also some confusion on connector avialiability. Please understand that every single connector for Toyota is cross referenced in EWD to part number and therefore available for purchase at Toyota. Connectors are supplied bare, w/o pins, I usually source individual pins from junk wire harness. Individual pins just simply click in/ lock in place at connector port.

Anyhow, beside making parts list I was function testing unit today.
Plan for tomorrow is to order connectors and microphone fro Dealer and install gps antenna. I have located factory spot for gps antenna. Unfortunately location apear to be pita. If I am able to install antenna bracket w/o removing dash I will post pic of the location.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Took me whole morning today to find part numbers and order them. Saturday is a busy day and bulshitters like myself have hard time, but finally after I fought my way to TIS terminal I was able to find connector numbers:

K6 connector number is 90980-11909
K32 connector number is 90980-12551

Microphone number is 86730-52019

Please refrain from ordering connectors yet, I will confirm numbers once parts arrive and I have them in hand.

BTW to clarify:
Connector K6 is needed to provide input signals to navi unit
Connector K32 is needed for microphone input to navi unit
Lastly my SR5 2008 does not have mic, that is needed for hands free to operate.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

I just installed GPS antenna in factory provided location. Antenna bracket attaches to the dashboard in front of instrument cluster.

Installation was ment by Toyota to be done with dasboard OFF.

Well I did not feel like removing dash today. I worked through dash stereo opening and as suspected it was major pita. Removal of instrument cluster will not help as AC duct is just behind the cluster preventing access to gps bracket (duct is visible in the picture in upper left corner).
Select your screw size just right as your leverage and avaliable torque will be extremly limited.

· Premium Member
554 Posts
Awesome information so far, looking good. Looking forward to seeing this through.

Sounds like you are a little like me in that it is less expensive to get it without it stock and add it afterwards, liking the stock look.

Again, looking forward to the project updates!

Reactions: Wacked

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Final update for today.
Since I am waiting for parts I had to put everything back together. Of course I would not have it parially inop:).
I had micro pins ready today and I have plug them back to the HU w/o connector. GPS work like champ now.

One thing I did different than other folks who posted installation threads before, I have provided accessory power to the terminal 5 of K6 connector. Terminal 5 that is the "Reverse" input, i do not care on interrupting it for now, I do not have reverse camera. Later if I decide to install it, I rather have switch on the dash to turn camera on/off by interrupting power to Terminal 5.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bored today hot and nothing to do on the truck. I have added couple of conector work posts that also apply here:
http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tu...9-factory-backup-cam-mirror-plug-request.html

I used GPS function today and I am very happy with the unit. Turn by turn guidance is excellent, quick reboot, instant redirect and etc. Voice is very clear over the music from factory speakers. Screen is brilliant and unit software is very nice.
Denso audio unit sound is a great improvement over Delco HU I had before. Not i care much about sound, have wooden ear, but Delco was substandard even for me.
Great upgrade so far.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I could not make microphone to work today. I have fabricated mic harness for powered factory mic, connected and still no go. I am getting same message as before, microphone not connected. Dang.

Both connectors are good btw, they click right in HU. Terminal selection emerged as problem as even with the same pin size terminal type is different (the way it clicks in connector hole) for all the connectors in HU. I was not prepared for the variety.

Anyhow I need more info on mic. Confirm if part is right, recheck harness I have made and confirm wiring diagram.

· Registered
14,308 Posts
If you make all this work right, figure out a price for everything entailed if you could. I like the oem look and function, but don't like my factory head unit...

I like the looks of this unit and retaining factory function...

I give you nods for trying and keeping into it.

Reactions: Wacked

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I could not make microphone to work today. I have fabricated mic harness for powered factory mic, connected and still no go. I am getting same message as before, microphone not connected. .....diagram.
I think I gave Denso to much credit in providing diagnostic messages. Unit is telling me that "microphone is not connected" this means actually somehing is not connected. So what is not connected boys and girls that is needed to work a phone? Steering wheel controls.

Took me a week to deduct this lil stuck on stupid.

Anyway I am sourcing controls and steering wheel at the same time. I want to replace wheel for unrelated reason, just do it at one time. Takes longer than expected.

· Registered
10 Posts
I could not make microphone to work today. I have fabricated mic harness for powered factory mic, connected and still no go. I am getting same message as before, microphone not connected. Dang.

Both connectors are good btw, they click right in HU. Terminal selection emerged as problem as even with the same pin size terminal type is different (the way it clicks in connector hole) for all the connectors in HU. I was not prepared for the variety.

Anyhow I need more info on mic. Confirm if part is right, recheck harness I have made and confirm wiring diagram.
Did you figure out how to connect the Mic.
I need help. Thanks

· Premium Member
194 Posts
I have this same head unit in my 2012. Any idea how to hook up a switch to make it where you can turn on the backup camera anytime you want?

Thanks!

· Registered
12 Posts
Sorry to re-open this thread. I have this unit installed on my 2010 Tundra RockWarrior. The bluetooth/phone/music functions as normal. I cannot get the camera screen and navigation to work as needed. My tundra has controls on the steering wheel. There are a couple of extra connectors compared to my stock radio, and I don't know why. The blue plug may be in the wrong slot.
Please help.
Thank you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.