Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Fords have bloated price tags around here. I wouldnt even consider a 5.0L after driving the 5.7 in the Tundra. A similarly equipped Ford F150 with an ecoboost (only competitive engine in their lineup) around here would put me into the 36-40k price range AFTER negotiations...out of budget.
It's the same here in WY and was the same in NE. Because here in WY a majority of the oil and gas, consultant, or energy producer rigs are F150 or F250. Back in NE it was Ford, Chevy, Dodge. We grew up with Fords and most of the ranchers and farmers had em too. They have their niche and can exploit the price. I was told by a Ford dealer once that Fords have a slightly smaller price on the tag because they know they'll be in the shop for repairs more. For that statement alone I will never buy a Ford. Plus, the fact that we have an exploited market and the price for my Tundra was less than a similar F150.

·
Registered
830 Posts
You may want to consider why the big 3 hasn't joined in on the "J" Standard towing which all manufacturers agreed on this a couple of years ago. Toyota is the only one stating the "J" Standard while other manufacturers bloat their figure so they can say "I CAN TOW MORE".
I thought they had started using the new standard? I'm not much of a truck guy (this is my first, and, with any luck, only for a while to come), so I don't follow all the gossip; but my boss at work went Silverado. So some friendly rivalry exists at the office, of course. Anyhow, he said that GM was now using that standard, and that the numbers didn't go down. Wasn't clear if that was for the 2014's or not.

[Of course I lose to my boss, he has a '13 Silverado 1500, don't think it's a HD but it's the 5.3 with tow package, crew cab, heavy duty cooling system, so like 10k towing. To my 4.6. Of course, we both lose to a coworker who has a 2500HD...]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
But one forum post made a great suggestion... go between the two forums and see how many complaints you find about that forum's truck. While no vehicle is perfect, and you can certainly find some Tundra issues reported here, but go over to the F150 forum and complaints are 10 fold vs. the Tundra. Engine, transmission, you name it.
Yes, I did see this. While perusing the Ford and Tundra forums this is what I saw. It confused me a little to read "I love my ford even though it's been at the dealer having these things done..." Now, I am not sure if the Tundras are built like the Tacoma I had, but in the six years that I had it I brought it back to the dealer to stop the clutch from squeaking. It worked fine, just annoyed me.

I've read that the Tundra is more "mass produced" and not of the same quality, but I haven't read near the number of complaints.

I've also gone to non brand based forums like Edmunds, offroad, boat owners sites and have read similar sentiment and experiences.

I've sat and drove both trucks. Maybe I'm not very discerning but they seem very similar to me. The Ford has a better interior. While the backseats don't recline, they are very comfortable. And because I use my truck as a daily driver with minimal towing, I don't need to compare similar engines. I just need the most efficient and reliable engine that can tow when I need.

So the Ford seems to lead.

Here's what kept me from just buying the Ford. With the Tundra I am more confident that I will drive it for years without the having to take it to a mechanic. I'm not sure I can rely on the Ford to do the same.

Now I'm thinking, Ford is the number one (trucks) for a reason, they can't sell such a large number of lemons and stay number 1, but is that a risk I'm willing to take?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Now I'm thinking, Ford is the number one (trucks) for a reason, they can't sell such a large number of lemons and stay number 1, but is that a risk I'm willing to take?
I'm wondering if they're #1 because of the amount in which industry uses them. I don't feel like researching :D

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
I thought they had started using the new standard? I'm not much of a truck guy (this is my first, and, with any luck, only for a while to come), so I don't follow all the gossip; but my boss at work went Silverado. So some friendly rivalry exists at the office, of course. Anyhow, he said that GM was now using that standard, and that the numbers didn't go down. Wasn't clear if that was for the 2014's or not.

[Of course I lose to my boss, he has a '13 Silverado 1500, don't think it's a HD but it's the 5.3 with tow package, crew cab, heavy duty cooling system, so like 10k towing. To my 4.6. Of course, we both lose to a coworker who has a 2500HD...]
Toyota is the only one doing it. Ford and GM said they would start last year and has gone as far to state when new model comes out they would. This hasn't happened. The two want to be on top and when asked about this they just state we are working towards "J" standards. GM's hasn't switched over. If they did their towing numbers would have gone down. Same as Ford. Neither would be towing 11k lbs. Dodge would have the worst loss in towing.
Bloated Ford, GM, Ram Towing Numbers Continue | Tundra Headquarters Blog

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
I'll add two cents, both are the entries in my two favorite trucks.

1) Test drive both. Used. I test drove a Ford with 60K and a Tundra with 60K. The Ford felt like it had 120K, while the Tundra felt like it had 6K. (The Tundra bed was TRASHED, and the Ford, not a scratch to give an idea on usage)

2) Test drive both new. I bet it would be hard to pick an ALL out winner. You are pinning a seven year old design against a new design. Funny how they are "equal" or close to.

3) Northern California like the Bay Area? I will say the Tundra in tight spaces is no fun, even with a superior turning radius. I lived in San Mateo for 26 years and wouldn't even consider the Tundra if I was still there. Too big for the area. Now if you are up north Santa Rosa / Napa area no biggie. The Tundra is BIG.

Finally if I was living in California with you gas prices north of $4.00 a gallon, the Tundra will not be your friend, especially if you mod it. I'm keeping it real for you there in an effort to help. I get 12-16MPG.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Tundra, but what else would you expect being on a Tundra forum? I'd only consider the Ford F series so I don't honestly think you can go wrong either direction. The only thing I will say is it's amazing to me that Ford owners are okay with a little less quality. I don't know how many times I have heard "Oh they just fixed the XXX issue when I go in for oil changes." I'm not okay with those little things. I had a 2013 Explorer...for less than a month.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Originally this ex-Chevy man loved the look of the Ford Super Duty and wanted one (I never in a million years thought I'd ever say that). When it came time to look for a new truck, I decided to take a look at Consumer Reports and see what truck they suggested. I wanted a truck that would have few problems and last without nickel and diming me. The Tundra was what Consumer Reports suggested, so that is what I started looking for.

I can't remember what common problems the Fords had, but the worse score on the Tundra was the radio, and I don't buy a truck for a radio, I buy it to use as a truck. I think I made the right decision.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

1) Test drive both. Used. I test drove a Ford with 60K and a Tundra with 60K. The Ford felt like it had 120K, while the Tundra felt like it had 6K. (The Tundra bed was TRASHED, and the Ford, not a scratch to give an idea on usage)

2) Test drive both new. I bet it would be hard to pick an ALL out winner. You are pinning a seven year old design against a new design. Funny how they are "equal" or close to.

3) Northern California like the Bay Area? I will say the Tundra in tight spaces is no fun, even with a superior turning radius. I lived in San Mateo for 26 years and wouldn't even consider the Tundra if I was still there. Too big for the area. Now if you are up north Santa Rosa / Napa area no biggie. The Tundra is BIG.

Finally if I was living in California with you gas prices north of $4.00 a gallon, the Tundra will not be your friend, especially if you mod it. I'm keeping it real for you there in an effort to help. I get 12-16MPG.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Tundra, but what else would you expect being on a Tundra forum? I'd only consider the Ford F series so I don't honestly think you can go wrong either direction. The only thing I will say is it's amazing to me that Ford owners are okay with a little less quality. I don't know how many times I have heard "Oh they just fixed the XXX issue when I go in for oil changes." I'm not okay with those little things. I had a 2013 Explorer...for less than a month.

Yep, the Bay area and I'm just south of San Mateo where the streets are narrow and some don't even have sidewalks. Parking could be a real PITA. The only place I didn't have a problem up here is at Costco.

Your experience of Ford owners saying "they just fixed XXX while in for an oil change" resonates loudly as I've read that on the forums as well. My hope (if I pick Ford) is that they sell so many that they're bound to have greater numbers that need work done. That's little consolation if I have one of those trucks.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Toyota is the only one doing it. Ford and GM said they would start last year and has gone as far to state when new model comes out they would. This hasn't happened. The two want to be on top and when asked about this they just state we are working towards "J" standards. GM's hasn't switched over. If they did their towing numbers would have gone down. Same as Ford. Neither would be towing 11k lbs. Dodge would have the worst loss in towing.
Bloated Ford, GM, Ram Towing Numbers Continue | Tundra Headquarters Blog
Thanks, I was under the impression they had changed.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Go to Carmax and you can probably test drive both trucks at one time. Then go drive new one's and see which one you like best.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
The only thing I will say is it's amazing to me that Ford owners are okay with a little less quality. I don't know how many times I have heard "Oh they just fixed the XXX issue when I go in for oil changes." I'm not okay with those little things. I had a 2013 Explorer...for less than a month.
I don't want to own any vehicle forever and ever and ever and drive it to 400,000km. If the truck isn't tired of me I'll be tired of it long long before then. Whether I keep it as a spare truck or whether I trade or sell it, someone else can worry about those issues.

Yeah I had a slightly sticking brake caliper and dealt with it for many months but I did get it fixed and at no additional cost to me. I have no problem taking time out of my day to do stuff like that. I am happy to spend my time working on or cleaning or driving or admiring my truck... If the vehicle is just an appliance to you, then maybe not, maybe it's time spent that you could be doing something else of more interest or importance in your schedule.

If you like it, you're willing to overlook a few minor problems. Sometimes I don't even bother going through warranty for parts and I just buy them outright. If you don't, every single little thing becomes a big deal. Remember how I would write essay-length posts on all the things that bugged me about my Tundra? Heaven forbid if I actually experienced a mechanical problem I might have written a book.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I don't want to own any vehicle forever and ever and ever and drive it to 400,000km.

. If the vehicle is just an appliance to you, then maybe not, maybe it's time spent that you could be doing something else of more interest or importance in your schedule.
It's just a tool to take me where I want to go. I do intend to keep it till it no longer makes financial sense. That's one of the reasons I want something reliable.

Absolutely. I'd rather spend time playing with my kids or a myriad of things with family and friends. Tooling with the truck is not high on my priorities in life.

·
Registered
530 Posts
It's just a tool to take me where I want to go. I do intend to keep it till it no longer makes financial sense. That's one of the reasons I want something reliable.

Absolutely. I'd rather spend time playing with my kids or a myriad of things with family and friends. Tooling with the truck is not high on my priorities in life.
With a statement like this, I can't believe your considering ANY other truck.

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts

Don't forget "Resale". Even if you don't plan on keeping the truck you would want to get the most from it.

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Don't forget "Resale". Even if you don't plan on keeping the truck you would want to get the most from it.
This is so true. It's scary how domestic vehicles crap their value so fast. I get a kick out of the new Ram commercials advertising higher residual values than Ford or GM. Really? I did take notice that Toyota wasn't mentioned.

Reactions: Mickey

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
I'm curious. How many people from the Ford furum said to buy a Toyota Tundra?
Riiiiight.

To the OP,

I have slight concerns for you just based on size. I would focus on this and see how driving the Tundra and F150 is around town, and in local neighborhoods. This one is tricky because the Tundra has a great turning radius. The Ford is a smaller truck so maybe that would be better?

If it was myself, I might take a look at a Tacoma. Just depends. Admittedly, I'm a Toyota fanboy. So just because of that I'd like to see you get the Tundra or even a Tacoma. Put it this way, I know you will be happy with the Tundra. I don't "know" on the F150.

Could always buy a used Tundra and throw a Smart car in the bed. Hahahaha!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Rockporter, I know one person there told me to get a Tundra with a few others saying they could have gone either way. I will probably be one of those people after I buy a truck. I like both enough to say the same.

I test drove the two Fords yesterday. The EB is noticeably better in power, quietness and smoothness, but it's not $7K better.

Tundergas, the tacoma and the ridgeline both of which I considered can't tow my trailer. There's the third option of selling the trailer and getting a little fish and ski boat I guess. But my family is growing and the extra room of a full size is going to come in handy. Not to mention my dog is 7 years old and I'll want him to be more comfortable too.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts