Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here is my dilemma and Im sure this topic has been beaten like a dead horse but I figure Id throw it out there and see what happens. In planning stages of the lift etc, Ive been looking into the 4.88 front and rear, which of course comes with the option of ARB air lockers or auburn LSDs. Is it worth spending the money to get the air lockers as a fail safe just in case or LSDs? I live in the Northeast and winters here can be quite harsh at times (just recently the last storm my neighbor's bone stock tundra got stuck :(). I live way off the beaten path, granted its all paved but its nothing but hills and bends and state plow trucks do not come my way at all. Im not a big rock crawler/mudder/'wreck my truck on a trail' type of guy. On my old truck, maybe once a year or so I would do a little "off-roading" but not anything crazy by any means. That all being said, my choice with lockers would really only be for that "oh sh*t" moment where traction control/4X4 cant get me out. I see lockers kind of like airbags, I dont wanna ever have to use them, but if that time came Id sure be glad they were there. Any suggestions or am I just way over thinking it? Thanks gents

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have the Auburn and I can light both rear tires and put the truck sideways on dry pavement. I'm in Cali now, but just left Arizona. I grew up in Connecticut so I know what driving in snow is like as I did it for many years. Because of this experience, both with snow and the Auburn, I would suggest the ARB as well. This way you have some control whether you want to power both tires or not. On snow, as you know, it's not always a good thing.

My $.02

Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the Auburn and I can light both rear tires and put the truck sideways on dry pavement. I'm in Cali now, but just left Arizona. I grew up in Connecticut so I know what driving in snow is like as I did it for many years. Because of this experience, both with snow and the Auburn, I would suggest the ARB as well. This way you have some control whether you want to power both tires or not. On snow, as you know, it's not always a good thing.

My $.02

Dave
I agree. I figured atleast with lockers, IM in control of what is going on, granted as we all know when it comes to that white crap, no one has control except for it lol. Thanks for the input gents

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Not in snow....

Dave
?

Not sure I follow. I split time between NY and VT, so I am quite familiar with snow. I'd rather have the advantages of an LSD for the 90% of the year when roads are dry and personally, I prefer both wheels to put power to the ground as opposed to 1 or none. ;) Especially when supercharged.

If you are referring to full on snow wheeling, there are a lot of people who think lockers can be a disadvantage in deep snow - it depends on the conditions.

As an aside, I have always been a fan of your truck. The lift/tire combo gives it the perfect stance.

·
Registered
519 Posts
?

Not sure I follow. I split time between NY and VT, so I am quite familiar with snow. I'd rather have the advantages of an LSD for the 90% of the year when roads are dry and personally, I prefer both wheels to put power to the ground as opposed to 1 or none. ;) Especially when supercharged.

If you are referring to full on snow wheeling, there are a lot of people who think lockers can be a disadvantage in deep snow - it depends on the conditions.

As an aside, I have always been a fan of your truck. The lift/tire combo gives it the perfect stance.
Thank you for the compliment on my truck. I'm approaching 200K miles on it and I still can't get enough of it. I love driving it and love the way it looks as well.

I do agree with you about the LSD/ARB combo being best in most every condition. My only variance off of that is in snow and ice. I have been in and have seen situations where you are on an off-camber slope, even slight, and with both back wheels spinning the truck is sliding sideways. One of the situations I was in was on wet grass in a field at a fair, parked in a row of cars. The tires were spinning because of the incline and wet grass and I was sliding closer to the car next to me.

There is nothing better when you are trying to make forward momentum in snow than both wheels pushing you along. The difference is when you throw in a bit of camber. With an ARB in the rear, he can get some forward momentum, even if it is only a MPH or two, then unlock the Diff so that he can probably quell the sideways sliding action. Is this a guarantee? No, but with an LSD he wouldn't even have the option to try.

Just my two cents really. Either way he is better off than with the "electronic differential" that our trucks come with stock.

Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can't speak to how useful a locker is in snow because I have never used one in snow. I did have one in my old Tacoma and used it for wheeling. Hands down the best thing you can have. Being fully locked in the rear is like the difference between 2x4 and 4x4. I got through really gnarly rocks, ruts, hills. That said, if you don't plan on seriously wheeling your truck then it's probably a waste of $$. A winch is a lot cheaper...so is calling a friend to pull you out. It would be nice if you could get a locker in tundras from the factory like the tacomas.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the compliment on my truck. I'm approaching 200K miles on it and I still can't get enough of it. I love driving it and love the way it looks as well.

I do agree with you about the LSD/ARB combo being best in most every condition. My only variance off of that is in snow and ice. I have been in and have seen situations where you are on an off-camber slope, even slight, and with both back wheels spinning the truck is sliding sideways. One of the situations I was in was on wet grass in a field at a fair, parked in a row of cars. The tires were spinning because of the incline and wet grass and I was sliding closer to the car next to me.

There is nothing better when you are trying to make forward momentum in snow than both wheels pushing you along. The difference is when you throw in a bit of camber. With an ARB in the rear, he can get some forward momentum, even if it is only a MPH or two, then unlock the Diff so that he can probably quell the sideways sliding action. Is this a guarantee? No, but with an LSD he wouldn't even have the option to try.

Just my two cents really. Either way he is better off than with the "electronic differential" that our trucks come with stock.

Dave
I agree with both of you, no doubt on that and Im incredibly grateful for you guys taking the time to give your opinions. We have gotten quite lucky with the snow the past couple years thank god. But the snow we did get was 1 or 2 massive storms and Im not a lucky one to "stay home" when it snows. Yes, the Auburn is probably ideal for 90% of my daily life but my point is this. The truck "technically has ALSD" (even though I know its a joke) but if Im going to be replacing the 3rd members anyway, then having the ARB would technically be the best of both worlds, no? I would still have the factory "ALSD" but I can lock them up if I needed to.

?

Supercharged is also something I was thinking about doing in the future but heres my point. You say you prefer both wheels putting power to the ground but with an LSD, thats where you DONT know what wheel is going to get what power. With the ARB, I can control what wheels spin and what wheels don't instead of mashing the throttle and hoping for the best traction.

I can't speak to how useful a locker is in snow because I have never used one in snow. I did have one in my old Tacoma and used it for wheeling. Hands down the best thing you can have. Being fully locked in the rear is like the difference between 2x4 and 4x4. I got through really gnarly rocks, ruts, hills. That said, if you don't plan on seriously wheeling your truck then it's probably a waste of $$. A winch is a lot cheaper...so is calling a friend to pull you out. It would be nice if you could get a locker in tundras from the factory like the tacomas.
Its not a money thing. If Im going to do it, Im going to do it all out soup to nuts, regardless of the green stuff. It will be easier in the future to add a winch or anything like that, but I WILL be getting new 3rd members and Im not going to spend the money twice ya know? I dont want to rely on the 'awesome' ALSD from factory (Yes I know its not an lsd). If I wanted a winch in the future, I could do that. Calling a friend to get me out? That defeats the purpose of the whole post. I don't want to rely on anyone if god forbid I got stuck. If Im going to be putting thousands into this truck, I SHOULD be the one having friends call ME to get them out, see what I mean? Thanks for your insight bro :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Its not a money thing. If Im going to do it, Im going to do it all out soup to nuts, regardless of the green stuff. It will be easier in the future to add a winch or anything like that, but I WILL be getting new 3rd members and Im not going to spend the money twice ya know? I dont want to rely on the 'awesome' ALSD from factory (Yes I know its not an lsd). If I wanted a winch in the future, I could do that. Calling a friend to get me out? That defeats the purpose of the whole post. I don't want to rely on anyone if god forbid I got stuck. If Im going to be putting thousands into this truck, I SHOULD be the one having friends call ME to get them out, see what I mean? Thanks for your insight bro :thumbsup:
I was joking about calling a friend. If money ain't a thing then do it. Nothing better than lockers offroad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts