Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

· Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally, I thought I would just go with a 3/1 level kit for the price and ease of installation. But after reading more and more and thinking about what I really want, I decided to just go with the OME instead. I don't want to go too high, 3" would suffice, I do want to be able to get off road when I want without worrying about spacers, and I would like to keep a good ride, so it seems like OME gives all of this.
Couple of thoughts though: 612 vs 614? Mine is a 5.7 and I don't have a big bumper or pusher, so would a 612 be enough or do I need to go for 614? UCA neccessary with 612 or 614? And finally, what is the pros/cons of rear block vs AAL vs shackles?
Thanks

Reactions: The Warrior

· Premium Member
11,775 Posts
Originally, I thought I would just go with a 3/1 level kit for the price and ease of installation. But after reading more and more and thinking about what I really want, I decided to just go with the OME instead. I don't want to go too high, 3" would suffice, I do want to be able to get off road when I want without worrying about spacers, and I would like to keep a good ride, so it seems like OME gives all of this.
Couple of thoughts though: 612 vs 614? Mine is a 5.7 and I don't have a big bumper or pusher, so would a 612 be enough or do I need to go for 614? UCA neccessary with 612 or 614? And finally, what is the pros/cons of rear block vs AAL vs shackles?
Thanks
There does not seem to be any specific height that people get from each OME but in general, most people seem to get 3" from the 612's even with the 5.7 like I did. With 612's you will not need UCA's but with 614's you "probably" will. Do yourself a favor and spend the extra $$ to get the OME's pre-assembled, it will make your install much easier. If you order from Toytec then use discount code '112710' to save 5%

As for the shackles vs. blocks, the difference in ride quality will be significant. If shackles just don't fit into your budget right now then go with some cheap blocks and put some CB shackles on your to-do list. You will not regret getting the shackles.

· Registered
1,206 Posts
There does not seem to be any specific height that people get from each OME but in general, most people seem to get 3" from the 612's even with the 5.7 like I did. With 612's you will not need UCA's but with 614's you "probably" will. Do yourself a favor and spend the extra $$ to get the OME's pre-assembled, it will make your install much easier. If you order from Toytec then use discount code '112710' to save 5%

As for the shackles vs. blocks, the difference in ride quality will be significant. If shackles just don't fit into your budget right now then go with some cheap blocks and put some CB shackles on your to-do list. You will not regret getting the shackles.
I'm considering doing the exact same setup as you with the 612's and my truck is exactly the same. Have you had any rack issues and could you tell me what the build date is on your truck? Thanks!

Reactions: Pissedandbroke

· Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that info CrewMax, that 5% discount is a nice little touch. I was definately wanting to do the pre-build for the OME. And it sounds like the shackles really rock. So is the AAL a good option? Seems this would give a little more payload for the truck.

· Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am wondering about the add a leaf because the kit through toytec has either the block or the aal (for $10 more). If blocks really aren't that good, then does it make sense to get the aal, to use until I can score some shackels?

Reactions: Coachbuilder1

· Premium Member
11,775 Posts
I did not do the "kit" I just bought the front struts, rear shocks and diff drop along with coach builders +3 shackles, blocks are the worst option you could take. The AAL will help with sagging when you have weight in the back but it will NOT increase payload. You cannot increase payload of a truck once it leaves the factory.

· Registered
755 Posts
If you get 614s factor in UCAs, they are more likely than not. AAL really isn't that stiff, I have one and airbags. Together they can get a bit stiff (thats what she said) when the pressure goes up, but not bad. Jeff at extension 107 when you call Toytec is a great guy, very knowledgeable. If you order from ToyTec I would talk to him. If it were me, I would call Sierra Expeditions first though and get a price as well. They are highly regarded in the off road/overlanding community (not saying ToyTec isn't, I have dealt with Jeff many times) and take good care of their customers. Let either of them know I sent you and let me know if you have any probs, which you wont.

Sierra Expeditions - 8665074254 - Cliff or Will will answer, both are awesome
ToyTec - 3032554959 extension 107 - Jeff

· Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the great feedback. Looks like through the website atleast, just ordering the parts that Mr CrewMax lists cuts the price down by ~$35 from the full kit. But I am definately gonna call both places this weekend and talk to them for any other choices. As far as towing, I pull the Harley around quite a bit, but that is not much weight, so I think the AAL will not be needed. Thanks again all you guys.

· Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh yeah, and I put a PM in for the price on the 3" shackles :drool:

· Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sweet! I just got a little bonus that almost covered the cost of this, so I ordered it up. Jeff at ToyTec was great to work with. Going with the 612 setup. Just went with the individual parts like 2010CrewMaxTRD suggested and saved a little more instead of having to throw out the blocks. And the discount helps a bit too. All for under $700. Also ordered up the +3 shackles from Coachbuilder. Now just gotta wait til the fun begins.

· Premium Member
11,775 Posts
Sweet! I just got a little bonus that almost covered the cost of this, so I ordered it up. Jeff at ToyTec was great to work with. Going with the 612 setup. Just went with the individual parts like 2010CrewMaxTRD suggested and saved a little more instead of having to throw out the blocks. And the discount helps a bit too. All for under $700. Also ordered up the +3 shackles from Coachbuilder. Now just gotta wait til the fun begins.
Congrats man, you will love that setup. I recently added 1/2" shims to the top of my coils which put me at exactly 4" of lift so if you decide you want just a tad more up front that is an option (but you will likely need UCA's too which I am installing today). I got the shims from Coach as well.

Also, based on the price I don't think you got extended length rear shocks but with the +3 shackles they are a very good idea.

· Registered
8,147 Posts
I eventually want to go this route as well.

It seems though shackle lift is widely considered to be less than ideal. But it also seems that many members on this forum recommend CB shckles. What are the pros and cons of shackle vs aal (which I was thinking of going with)?

· Premium Member
11,775 Posts
I eventually want to go this route as well.

It seems though shackle lift is widely considered to be less than ideal. But it also seems that many members on this forum recommend CB shckles. What are the pros and cons of shackle vs aal (which I was thinking of going with)?
Personally, I would think that if you do heavy towing regularly then AAL would likely be a better option than shackles, however, AAL will stiffen the rear end significantly so for daily driving the truck may not ride quite as nice as it would with shackles since shackles only extend the truck upwards but keep the existing leaf pack (and corresponding stiffness).

· Premium Member
11,775 Posts
I'd have to ride in your truck to tell the difference, but my AAL with Airlift (not a cushy) setup isn't bad at all. I'll soon have the AAL, Airlifts, and shackles.
When I was just running the shackles the ride was pretty good but now that I ride around with 7psi and 20 psi in the air bags it has stiffened up a bit. I can live with it though since I like having the damn truck level instead of leaning to the driver side. I think my next mod is going to be the air pump kit though since the bags do naturally leak over time and I am too lazy to constantly check them.

· Registered
8,147 Posts
Personally, I would think that if you do heavy towing regularly then AAL would likely be a better option than shackles, however, AAL will stiffen the rear end significantly so for daily driving the truck may not ride quite as nice as it would with shackles since shackles only extend the truck upwards but keep the existing leaf pack (and corresponding stiffness).
Do shackles increase the likelihood of the side to side movement of the leaf springs at all? (This seems to be a point of concern on some Jeep forums)

· Premium Member
11,775 Posts
Do shackles increase the likelihood of the side to side movement of the leaf springs at all? (This seems to be a point of concern on some Jeep forums)
Probably a question for Coach but my first thought was that I could only see that happening if the shackle was not robust enough to handle that side to side movement and either flexed or bent under the stress. I could see that happening on some shackles I have seen but there is no way on earth that could happen with Coaches shackles since they are the beefiest shackles on earth and look like they belong on a tank. Honestly, I think something else in the rear is going to let go long before the shackle could flex or bend.

· Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also, based on the price I don't think you got extended length rear shocks but with the +3 shackles they are a very good idea.
Jeff said the rear shocks were the N193 which i thought were the extended ones

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.