Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had any issues with this?

Tech at dealership said their hand held device can't read my aftermarket TPMS sensors and would have to break down the tires and wheels to see the serial #s.

Anyone else had problems/issues with aftermarket TPMS sensors not being able scan/read by dealership hand held device.

I know - someone will say screw TPMS but since I bought them when I purchased my Fuel Hostage wheels and Nitto Trail Grappler tires as a package deal from Mr. Wheel Deal, mind as well get them recalibrated since dealership is doing it for free.

I even asked Mr. Wheel Deal to right down the serial #s before installing but was told it wasn't needed.

Dealership wants $160 to break down wheel/tires to read sensors but told me to contact vendor to get resolve first since they told me wrong.

I'm about to call another dealership but if all dealership are using the same device to read the sensors - I'm screwed.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went to Discount Tire - they were able to read the TPMS sensor with their scanner BUT there's a problem with the 4 TPMS sensors that Mr. Wheel Deal put on my Fuel Hostage 20x9 wheels.

They (Mr. Wheel Deal) put on 3 TPMS sensors made for Steel Wheels and 1 TPMS sensor made for Aluminum Wheel.

Will that be a problem? Will it still work? I thought you can't use OEM TPMS sensors made for Steel Wheels on a Aluminum Wheel - Not sure if Aftermarket TPMS sensor are the same way?

I know people that put Steel Wheels with TPMS sensors made for steel wheels on for the winter and Aluminum Wheels with TPMS sensors made for Aluminum Wheels on for summer and as long as all 8 TPMS sensors are calibrated - the truck will be able to read them.

But in my situation - am i screwed?

Basically i think I have two options:

Option #1: Have Mr. Wheel Deal send me 4 new TPMS sensors for Aluminum wheels

Option #2: Have Mr. Wheel Deal refund me $160 ($40 each) for the wrong TPMS sensors and buy 4 TPMS sensors from Discount Tire at $60 each ($240 total)

Why is it so difficult to buy anything online anymore - you try to save a few $$ buy buying from a good online vendor but then get screwed because they messed up and since it's online - you can't just go to their store to get it resolve.

I'm hoping the email I sent to Mr. Wheel Deal gets acknowledge and they take care of me.

But since Mr. Wheel Deal put 3 TPMS sensors made for Steel Wheels on my Aluminum Fuel Hostage wheels - will i have any issues with the dealership recalibratiing my TPMS sensors - Discount Tire was able to read the sensors because they knew to check for Steel wheel TPMS sensors.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'd go for #2. Then if you ever have a problem with the sensors DT will take care of it. I could have saved $60 buying my wheels and tires online and then having DT mount and install them for me. I decided it was worth the extra $60 to never have to deal with trying to warranty a wheel or tire online.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts