Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my wife's Honda in for service. While waiting with my truck, a nice looking lot rat said the dealer was offering killer deals on trade ins. She even offered to buy my truck outright (see signature) with 16500 miles and a 8yr/100K Platinum warranty. I detailed the truck yesterday with my new Griot's buffer and products so it was spotless.

I decided to play along since she was so nice ......looking.

Me: Make me a offer
Her: What vehicle are you interested in if we can make a deal today?
Me: I haven't really decided, but can browse the lot. How about just getting a price for a straight purchase of my truck?
Her: Okay, I will ask my manager.

Thirty minutes later the manager and lot rat chase me down. I was looking at the Honda Pilot with all that cargo room.

HIM: Your truck is in great condition, but the larger engines are harder to resell due to their poor gas mileage.
Her: Deer in headlight look.
Me: So what are you offering?
Him: $21000. I can write you a check right now or we can work a deal on trade.
Me: Deer in headlight look followed by: "I know marijuana is legal in Washington, but you need to stop smoking it during the morning meeting.
Him: Deer in headlight look
Me: :D Score one for the home team. I politely declined and stated I could not find anything on the lot worth buying.

I still have my truck, but the interaction was fun while it lasted.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Bigger engine! Harder to sell? That's a new one, I'd retort that the difference in MPG is minimal and most people who buy the truck want the bigger engine for hauling and towing.
I guess if you had the smaller engine they would use the "bigger engine for towing and hauling" line. Too funny!

I'd like to know the ratio of 4.6 to 5.7 sold.

Reactions: Wacked and Ogtoyfan

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely funny! I dropped my wife off at work and returned to browse the lots (multiplex). The recall took about an hour and a half to complete. In my hour at the dealerships, the vultures started to circle as soon as I stepped over the curb of the next dealership. I love to quickly walk through the cars and trucks while keeping the lot rat in my peripheral vision about 50 yards behind. My wife thought I was looking for a new car for her.

·
Premium Member
5,489 Posts
Hmm, so that explains why my 93 Dodge with a first gen Cummins and only 99k actual miles is priceless.

Love to harass the local Dodge er now Ram dealer with it. Never even take the Tundra in unless it needs a service and then I need to take the wife so I don't look at other trucks.

Reactions: Wacked

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
Kind of in the opposite direction on purchase, but still pretty funny.

I had bought a 2006 Chevy Cobalt sedan, 2.2L 4cylinder, 5 speed tranny. So I've had the car about a year and after several trips to the dealership for maintenance, I had finally had enough complaining about the transmission shifting problems which started on day 1 of driving the car home. The shop always claimed they couldn't find anything wrong with it. BS, I drive it everyday and it would not shift into 1st or reverse most of the time unless you shut the car off first. So finally I had to have the car taken in and worked on because the damn thing was grinding so bad. I took it in and dropped it off. They called me that afternoon and said well the transmission needs rebuilt, something about plastic syncronizers not working properly. I was like ok fine, its under the factory warranty. So they have my car a whole month, I went over one day after work to check on the progress and for the hell of it asked them if they would still happen to have the little 1989 Mazda B2600i 4x4 pickup around I had traded in. The guy at the service desk gives me the deer in the headlight look and says why? I said because if you did I'd take my old truck back and you could keep your POS car. Needless to say they didn't still have my truck. I get the car back a month later after they screwed around with it rebuilt the transmission twice, and still screwed up, even worse actually. So I leave with my car, and drive 65 miles across town to the Toyota dealer where I had been eying the Tundra I have now. Pulled in told them I wanted to buy a truck and had a trade in. Guy goes out looks at the car, comes back in and says I'll give you $6500 for it, I said sold. Salesman says man that was easy, then I explained to him the mess behind that damn car and why I wanted it gone, he said that the transmission problem is very common in those Chevy Cobalts, and it was just the manual transmission models that had issues, I also had issues where the gauges would just randomly quit working while driving down the road, headlights would shut off, gas gauge would read empty after filling up the tank.

Glad I don't own that car anymore and will never buy a GM product again.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I took my wife's Honda in for service. While waiting with my truck, a nice looking lot rat said the dealer was offering killer deals on trade ins. She even offered to buy my truck outright (see signature) with 16500 miles and a 8yr/100K Platinum warranty. I detailed the truck yesterday with my new Griot's buffer and products so it was spotless.

I decided to play along since she was so nice ......looking.

Me: Make me a offer
Her: What vehicle are you interested in if we can make a deal today?
Me: I haven't really decided, but can browse the lot. How about just getting a price for a straight purchase of my truck?
Her: Okay, I will ask my manager.

Thirty minutes later the manager and lot rat chase me down. I was looking at the Honda Pilot with all that cargo room.

HIM: Your truck is in great condition, but the larger engines are harder to resell due to their poor gas mileage.
Her: Deer in headlight look.
Me: So what are you offering?
Him: $21000. I can write you a check right now or we can work a deal on trade.
Me: Deer in headlight look followed by: "I know marijuana is legal in Washington, but you need to stop smoking it during the morning meeting.
Him: Deer in headlight look
Me: :D Score one for the home team. I politely declined and stated I could not find anything on the lot worth buying.

I still have my truck, but the interaction was fun while it lasted.
Priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have been looking at new Jeep JK's and the first two dealers tried shenanigans like this. The third was just the opposite and it was like a breath of fresh air. Why do the think people are so stupid?

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Larger engine......more power......higher demand......definitely going to murder the resale value.
Honda sucks now anyways. They aren't the same cars they were in the 80s and 90s

·
Registered
266 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Because most people are. :lol:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Same goes for my local dealer, I sent them the same email with my preferences as all the other dealers. I asked for a factory moonroof and they come back with a third party installation for $1400 dollars which I instantly rejected. I then asked for a quote for the same truck as it sits on the lot, twice! Both emails were ignored. In the mean time, the other dealers were dealing and finding trucks that met my specs. A week after I bought, this clown was still calling me and I finally replied by email with my thoughts about his sales manager and his insulting offer.

My point? This dealer still sells lots of vehicles because people are stupid. Those who do their research will end up buying somewhere else.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
I love stupid people. They allow me to have a great buying experience such as this:

I called my dealers sales manager direct one day, told him exactly what I wanted, what i would take for my trade(sending several detailed pics through email), what I would pay for it, and 4 days later, after locating it in north Oklahoma, it was waiting for me as I walked out the door at work. Signed the paperwork in the front seat and sent his sales bitch back in my 05 dc no questions asked.

Thank you stupid people for paying more than you should so I can save money.

Reactions: wktjr

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't care if they sense someone is stupid or gullible and move in for the kill, but don't assume everyone is. I hate dealerships!

Reactions: NIE_Cal

·
Registered
220 Posts
Your truck is in great condition, but the larger engines are harder to resell due to their poor gas mileage

Guess he didn't research the sales surge of the 5.7s from 2007 thru 2012....

·
Registered
413 Posts
Same things happened to me, I was meeting a friend for lunch, and he just happened to be running late so i shot over to the local ford dealer just to take a look. No sooner than I poked my head up to the window the moron that worked there offered me 12500 for my truck... I just looked at him and said "I don't know what kind of crack your on but no thanks." What made it worse was he made the appraisal for the wrong year, wrong motor, and "ballparked" the mileage... Then argued with me when I told him that I had no interest in taking a test drive.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Same things happened to me, I was meeting a friend for lunch, and he just happened to be running late so i shot over to the local ford dealer just to take a look. No sooner than I poked my head up to the window the moron that worked there offered me 12500 for my truck... I just looked at him and said "I don't know what kind of crack your on but no thanks." What made it worse was he made the appraisal for the wrong year, wrong motor, and "ballparked" the mileage... Then argued with me when I told him that I had no interest in taking a test drive.
One Ford dealer is near where I work so I'd swing through the lot during lunchtime walks. I would just look in passing and they would already be swooping in. One time it was a rather attractive women so I spoke to her and she commented on how the sales manager is always on them to be aggressive. She said she worked service and they need people for sales so she volunteered. She said she regretted that decision.

One the flip side, there is another Ford dealer down the road which has been a no-haggle dealer for years. They post everything in the window, price plus tax and drive away. You actually have to find a salesman if your interested.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts