Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2010 Tundra SR5 Crewmax
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, just bought a 2010 tundra SR5 crewmax with 146,000mi. Started to hear a grinding sound come from the front wheel base when the vehicle was cold and only occurred when the vehicle was in motion. Took it to the dealer and after they had replaced both front wheel bearings and the sound still appeared they came to the consensus that the grinding sound was coming from the differential and is a normal condition for the vehicle? Thoughts?

· Registered
2 Posts
It does die down a bit after 45-50 and only when the vehicle isn’t at operating temp
I had the same issues with my 2007 tundra.
It would grind/ vibrate/ thump as time went on.
The sounds went away when I drove above 50 mph or put the truck in 4wd high.
I replaced the front left side wheel bearing without any improvements.
I found a forum with article with the same issues and they stated that it was the front axle bearing at the differential.
They recommended replacing the factory needle bearing with a friction bearing and set me up with a website to purchase the bearing and seal and the option to purchase the bearing puller and installing tool and a seal installing tool.
It took me about 3.5 hrs to change the bearing and I replaced the axle since I was in there and have 190 000. Miles on the truck.
Problem was solved and truck drives like new again!!!

· Registered
2 Posts
I found a forum with article with the same issues and they stated that it was the front axle bearing at the differential.
They recommended replacing the factory needle bearing with a friction bearing and set me up with a website to purchase the bearing and seal and the option to purchase the bearing puller and installing tool and a seal installing tool.
It took me about 3.5 hrs to change the bearing and I replaced the axle since I was in there and have 190 000. Miles on the truck.
BTW. Company for the parts and tools is
East Coast Gear Supply
Look up your year and model truck

· Registered
51 Posts
I believe the Toyota service bulletin was for this problem. It’s pretty common across the 4WD models.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.