Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit 30k miles on my 2012 limited tundra. I used all the "free" oil changes at dealer and am due for another one, thinking about doing it myself. I opened the hood to find the oil cap sitting on the battery, obviously Toyota tech never put it back on 10k miles ago! I looked under the truck and no skid plate. Does the 2012 Limited Tundra come with a skid plate? I am so suspect that I question everything the dealer told me. Thank you

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Yes

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Do the oil change yourself even if it costs you a little coin. It is not as difficult as some make it out to be and it is a good opportunity to have a look at everything else under the engine to ensure you don't have any leaks (like the damn water pump). I have read too many dealer oil change horror stories to allow them to do it even if it were free.

I hit 30k miles on my 2012 limited tundra. I used all the "free" oil changes at dealer and am due for another one, thinking about doing it myself. I opened the hood to find the oil cap sitting on the battery, obviously Toyota tech never put it back on 10k miles ago! I looked under the truck and no skid plate. Does the 2012 Limited Tundra come with a skid plate? I am so suspect that I question everything the dealer told me. Thank you

·
Registered
238 Posts
I double check that stuff after every visit. My friend was missing battery caps on his Frontier. That could have exploded. They could not find them and tossed a new battery in immediately.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I may do my own oil change next time....hopefully, it's similar to the Tacomas

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
LOL, you're in for a learning experience! It's nothing like the oil change on a tacoma. Fortunately it is doable, especially since your dealership was kind enough to leave the skid plate off. This should help you: http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/maintenance-repair/42806-diy-5-7l-oil-change.html
BTW: the dealership did you a favor, those skid plates are virtually worthless.

·
Registered
303 Posts
If it really ran 10k miles with the oil cap off that's not good at all. You've probably had a lot of dust and dirt go into the engine. I'd be pissed

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
My dealer called me and asked why I hadn't used the toyota care free oil changes..I told him because I don't trust the service dept, so I do it myself.

It's not hard, don't be intimidated by the oil cartridge, it's easy. You'll need 7 quarts of oil.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Did it not throw oil all over the engine?...I'm surprised it didn't smoke real bad from getting on the exhaust manifold. Also you should "check under the hood" more often that every 10,000 miles

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
on a side note, I can't drive 1,000 miles without looking under the hood, let alone 10K

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
The oil change is easy.
If they left the oil cap off I bet they were kind enough to over tighten the filter drain plug. They did mine so tight that the whole filter housing had to be taken off, placed in a vice and the plug removed with a cheater bar!

When changing the filter, do yourself a favor and swap the plastic cap for the Venza filter cap
http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/541717-post12.html
ignore the part in the instructions about bending tabs, it is not necessary.

I bought a filter wrench and cap separately, but you can get them on fleabay as a bundle
Toyota Lexus Scion Special Oil Filter Wrench Tool V6 V8 Filter Cap 15620 31060 | eBay

You don't need these, but it makes life easier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts