Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Mates,

So I left my bumper guard LED lights on overnight (brilliant me!) in my 2016 Platinum. Of course dead battery this morning. Jumped it, and it works now. Drove it a 2-3 miles, turned it off and on a few times (within 30 minutes of jump - not hours later or days later etc.), all seems to be working fine. Battery is 4.5 years old (original).

QUESTION FOR MY ESTEEMED TUNDRA OWNERS: Should I get a new battery now to be safe? It's the original battery. I would not want to be stuck somewhere with a dead battery. Or, does jumping the dead battery mean all is good?

Thanks for your input, experience, and advice!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Live in Coastal Georgia we don't have mad weather had 2008 tundra (with 290000 mile with the Original miles same battery) and traded for 2020 tundra.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
240 Posts
Although the alternator will recharge it, it’s best to use a charger.
New battery isn’t necessary, but I tend to change batteries after 5 years regardless of condition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
790 Posts
Get it tested for free at autoparts store .
OR buy an electronic type battery tested on Amazon = ANCEL BA 101 = 50$. Gives a nice readout , easy to use and gives a pass / fail. VERY handy . WAY better than the old resistance toaster style testers of years gone by .

PS. 4.5 years ... plan on buying a battery somewhat soon.
good luck

·
Registered
92 Posts
Replaced my battery for my 2012 roughly 2 years ago. Never had any real issue with the battery besides some occasional corrosion buildup. Still ran strong on the day I swapped it out, only did it because I didn't want find myself stuck waiting on AAA. Also bought one of those portable jumpers and keep it in the truck and test it every 3-6 months

·
Registered
132 Posts
You did do some damage to the battery by draining it all the way down like that, but chances are it would have lasted some time before it gave you any problems.

One tip. I got a lithium ion jump start battery that I carry in my glove box. I got it as a gift a couple years ago and it really works. I was skeptical because it is such a small battery, but I have jump started my snowmobile a couple times when it was -30 and would not crank, and have started a couple cars with it as well. It really works amazingly well.

My plan is to drive my battery until it fails, use the jump starter to get me where I need to go, then replace it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone know if it is an easy one man job to replace battery? Im not super handy, but I can use a screwdriver. My skills end about there.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It's not hard. You need a 10 mm socket. You should be able to loosen the two battery terminals and wiggle them off. Then remove the tie down bar and remove it. Then pull the battery out. Revers the process to install.

Caution: Make sure you DO NOT touch the 10 mm wrench to any metal parts when loosening the red battery terminal. This will short out the battery and things get real exiting when that happens. It is best to remove the black terminal first, then the red terminal. And don't touch the black and red when removing either of them.

Also, many auto parts store will do the switch for you if you buy the battery from them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The battery came in and I replaced it. When I first started the truck, it shut off after a few seconds, I restarted and it worked fine. I drove around for about 20 min. Hopefully I did it right, I read somewhere you need to charge a new battery before install. I didn't do that.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
You did it right. When you completely disconnect the battery on a Tundra, the ECM resets which is why it stalls after it first starts. You don't have to charge a new battery. It is good to go.

You may find that the truck shift points are a little different and the mileage may not be great for a while because of the ECM reset. The ECM will relearn your driving habits and tune itself over the next couple months. I don't know this for sure, but think it might actually reset and go through a break in period which is why the mileage is not as good for awhile. Mine took about a month or two to get the mileage back up to what it was before the ECM reset.

I am not sure why the Tundra does that. I have not had that on other cars/trucks. But I noticed a drop in mileage from an average of about 17 mpg to about 14 and slowly it got better and better until it was back to 17+ in a couple months.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts