Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for those that have used them, how would you rate them?

i am thinking of putting 7" drivers in my front doors, to go with some dayton 4s in the dash.

im going without a sub, so i know this wont be ideal as far as low end...but how would this compare to just doing a set of 6.5" components (amped of course)?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Is there any particular reason you don't want to use a sub?

The "loudest" sub-less front-stage I've tried in my Tundra was:

- Morel MW265 8" midbass in the door (~ 2.75" depth)
- Fountek FR88EX 3" full-range on the dash.

Great output, but not enough low-end extension. You simply need a subwoofer if you want to feel that 35hz. :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have thought about putting in the 7inch Dayton drivers also but only for some solid mid range.. I still plan on running subs.. probably 2 Dayton 12inch DVCs

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh i want a sub...its just politics at home...for now the sub is out of the picture

therefore, i am trying to get as much output as possible out of the doors.

·
Registered
455 Posts
oh i want a sub...its just politics at home...for now the sub is out of the picture
Alpine SBR-83V

Can be had for ~$160 shipped. This is my go-to recommendation for folks that want bass, but don't want to spend a lot of money.

Easily extends down to 30Hz. Box fits in a DoubleCab under the passenger side bench (where the factory jack is; you will need to re-locate the jack).

For the price, cannot be beaten. I installed one of these in a Tundra and the owner was blown away by the output. Proof that a properly-, purpose-built tuned box can sound very good without emptying your checking account.

Pic in an F150:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks good. I'm not on any sort of budget. Just kind of an agreement that my system days are over lol. That's why I keep going for stealth. Shhh

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
21 Posts
i JUST installed the Dayton rs-180's in my CrewMax rear doors last night. I did the full acoustic treatment, but I have not installed any amps yet.. They don't sound special at all powered off the stock (non-jbl) head unit. I'm more anxious than ever to install my amps!

They fit perfectly with a 3/4" MDF spacer.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
663 Posts
i JUST installed the Dayton rs-180's in my CrewMax rear doors last night. I did the full acoustic treatment, but I have not installed any amps yet.. They don't sound special at all powered off the stock (non-jbl) head unit. I'm more anxious than ever to install my amps!

They fit perfectly with a 3/4" MDF spacer.
Very interested to see how they sound with a good amp behind it.. I wouldn't expect the stock HU to push them properly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dayton RS-180 vs. Stock Tundra speaker. I can't believe just how bad the stock speakers are! I was actually a little offended when I opened the doors and saw those tiny magnets for the first time!

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
21 Posts
The spacers allowed the magnets to just barely clear the window, but the front of the speaker easily fit inside the door panel with pretty much the same spacing as stock.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks good. Will be night and day different with an amp

Where did you get your spacers? Did you use the same bolt (to anchor to the doors) layout as stock?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just hacked out the spacers from a piece of 3/4 MDF using my jigsaw. it literally takes 5 minutes. Use the OEM speaker as a template. I used the same 3 bolt locations, but I did have to use longer screws. Luckily I just happened to have some 2" lag bolts that were a perfect fit.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was going to do 8s if I could but I was just wondering if I would have to cut too closely to the 3 mounting holes where the wood may split or something

1 - 14 of 14 Posts