Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and it was my fault no less.

I am very anal when it comes to dents and major scratches. I loaded a small fridge carrying it into back seat of my DC and was what I thought to be careful. Well, I wasn't enough. I gently moved it into the rear doors and thought the bottom back corner was inside but was outside and the edge very lightly and slowly caught the outside of the sheet metal behind the doors and put a dime sized dent in the paint. I think the minor scuff will buff out but I went so slowly and easily I find it hard to believe the sheet metal is so fricking thin it dented it just by touching it with the small apt. fridge.

Pissed me off. Normally some idiot puts my first dent in the door panel or wheel well area that size but this time I was the idiot. Oh well, guess after 2 years of owning it was about time to put a dent in the chinsy sheet metal.

Glad it was on the passenger side though so I don't have to look at it and if you keep the truck not clean, you have a hard time seeing below waist level behind the DC doors.

I doubt I can remove the plastic panel on the passenger side behind rear seat and get at it and hammer it out, or can I????????????

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so, if I remove the side plastic panel, are there holes in the inside sheet metal to get a tool inside to punch out the dent on the outside of the tundra about 2" behind the edge of the curve inward of DC doors about waist/knee high?

Odd you have to remove the DC rear seat to remove the plastic panel but then again, the rear seat only folds up not down like in the crew max tundra and would probably be in the way on the passenger side.

·
Registered
151 Posts
been there done that

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Sucks man. Got my first one last week. Coworker door dinged me.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used 3M fine detail scratch remover paste and took out 95% of the scuff marks in the clear coat. ONLY problem now that the truck area there is cleaned up, you can really see the dime sized dent behind the DC rear doors almost waist high.

Will see how it goes, but spending 80-100 bucks on a paintless dent repair guy may be the way to go but doubt he can get at it from the inside. I wonder if they have a special suction cup tool to pull out on that very small spot and make it dent free??????

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
They make those stick on cup kits and sell on Amazon. Look Better than the As Seen On TV models. They sell for about $150. But heard you have to pick the right glue or you will peel the paint. Too much of a coward to try.

·
Registered
242 Posts
call a P.D.R. guy in your area. they can fix that size dent very easy
+1 on the PDR. They were able to take 2 dents out for me. Call a dealer or a body shop and ask who they use for PDR. I paid 50$ for each dent.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am a dent guy, and take it from me, PLEASE do not attempt this by yourself with a hammer/screw driver/sharp object, or for that matter, any object. Use a local dent guy. If we cannot get access to the dent, we have a process called "glue pulling". I cannot stress enough, do not take a hammer to it. I have had many clients who have "attempted" to try to get a dent out, screwed it up even more, cracked the paint. What went from a $75-$100 repair turned into a $800 repair to have their whole door painted and blended. If you need anymore convincing, I can tell you more horror stories, so google Paintless Dent Repair(PDR) + your area, or just contact local dealerships and ask for their dent guy's #

1 - 11 of 11 Posts