Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 319 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I would make a separate thread for my DAP Tune progress instead of continuing it in the other thread.

This is the handheld you get to ID the ECU and load the tunes:

Comes with USB stick with MyGenius software to install on computer, OBDII connector and USB connector to connect to computer. Reminds of how the old DiabloSport handheld works and interfaces.

Process:

1.Email [email protected] including:
vin#, year, engine, mod list, desired shift point, gov delete if wanted.
name, address, phone#, email address (torque management deleted unless otherwise requested).

2. Confirm info and pay ($600 via VENMO). Choose what color stickers you want.

3. Handheld arrives, isntall MyGenius and update handheld. Follow instructions and ID ECU then send (email) file to Dustin.

4. Dustin builds tune sends (emails) tune to you. Upload tune to handheld and follow instructions to install tune on truck. This is a 91/93 octane tune, so make sure you have that in your tank!

The whole process has been super easy thus far. Dustin has been great to work with and has been available to answer my questions and just talk via phone/Facebook/text/messenger.

I sent Dustin my ID'd ECU file Friday and he sent my tune Monday. After talking with Dustin, I am making some minor changes to my setup and this will delay my install of the DAP tune until this weekend. Dustin mentioned he has seen the best gains on his dyno with the TRD CAI or stock air box with K&N drop-in and SABM with TRD intake tube.

I already have the K&N intake tube and drop-in filter, swapped out AFE, and ordered the SABM. Went to local salvage yard and they hooked me up with an OEM lower air box part so I can cut that open for the SAMB.

I also decided to change up the exhaust. Currently have a Bassani catback. Not sure what it does for power, but sounds good. I had been looking to change it up for something a little more agressive as of late. Decided on the Carven TR and their black ceramic tip!

All the new parts are scheduled to be delivered this Thursday and I have an appt first thing Saturday morning to get the new muffler welded in! Once I get that done I will install the DAP Tune.

Was supposed to be on vacation next week for spring break, but had to move that back due to work. Dyno time planned for first week of April!

Will continue to update.......

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Great thread to start up..
That DAP tune is on this truck. 2016 double cab, N/A. CAI, Long Tube headers, exhaust . WOT Shift points to 6200rpms, speed limiter delete. Its crazy Fast. 8.2ET on the 1/8th mile..

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
so i have not been snooping around here for alittle while. i know nothing of this. is this suppose to be as good or better than the bully dog? how much does it cost? can you upload and unload easily for dealer purposes?
Yes, its supposed to be better than the BD, tune wise, but thats subjective. It doesnt give the options like the BD. This you load and your done. No turning off door chimes with it (not sure if Dustin can add that, but you can ask).

$600 via VENMO.

Yes, just like the BD you can uninstall/install as needed.

are you planning a before/after dyno run?
going to log afr? and boost if supercharged?
is the tuner able to add fuel or does it get set to target afr only?
That's the plan as of right now for dyno - stock (with intake and exhasut), then BD, then DAP.

Yes, with AFR, and i'm NA.

You will need to ask Dustin this.

·
Premium Member
4,244 Posts
Yes, its supposed to be better than the BD, tune wise, but thats subjective. It doesnt give the options like the BD. This you load and your done. No turning off door chimes with it (not sure if Dustin can add that, but you can ask).

$600 via VENMO.

Yes, just like the BD you can uninstall/install as needed.

That's the plan as of right now for dyno - stock (with intake and exhasut), then BD, then DAP.

Yes, with AFR, and i'm NA.

You will need to ask Dustin this.

Great info. Thank you

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will try and answer your questions best I can. This is my first time using this tune method, and there are few that have. I have the BD currently, so I can give you comparisons between the 2. But, if your looking for more technical info on how the magic happens you will need to direct those to Dustin @DAPtuning.

I guess there is one kind of test I can run before the dyno. I can use the performance part of the BD and run 0-60 times stock vs BD premium vs DAP. I know that might not be legit enough for some, but should show any performance changes and the BD will be the constant.

Will run my truck over to the certified scales and get proper weight.

·
Premium Member
4,244 Posts
Personally, I'm just interested in the results of reducing the torque management.

If that allows the truck to use the power you have and get it to the ground without pulling timing and ****in the transmission up, I'm sold.

Well, a solid fuel curve and transmission programming would be nice also. But I don't need more power. Not on a stock engine.

·
Registered
13,570 Posts
Personally, I'm just interested in the results of reducing the torque management.

If that allows the truck to use the power you have and get it to the ground without pulling timing and ****in the transmission up, I'm sold.

Well, a solid fuel curve and transmission programming would be nice also. But I don't need more power. Not on a stock engine.
This is what I am after.

The new truck vs the 2010 are no comparison at all on the highway.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Great thread to start up..
That DAP tune is on this truck. 2016 double cab, N/A. CAI, Long Tube headers, exhaust . WOT Shift points to 6200rpms, speed limiter delete. Its crazy Fast. 8.2ET on the 1/8th mile..

https://youtu.be/LFV25s5daKA
I LOL'd when I watched this! I have had tuned Duramax's in the past but had no idea that gassers could do it at this level. I need to look into this!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyone going to be in the Springfield MO area the first week of April wanna meet up for the dyno run?

Will also be going to the Midwest TundraCrew Spring Truck Meet in Jefferson City MO on March 25th, weather permitting.

·
Registered
179 Posts

What exactly is reducing torque management"?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

·
Chief of Grammar Police
2,496 Posts

What @RIjon said sounds reasonable.

There really is plenty of power and torque available in these trucks. Like @Mr. Creosote said, Toyota dumbed down the engine management in these things, even more so after the whole runaway throttle thing. When I first started pushing the skinny pedal in mine I remember thinking, wow that 2-3 WOT shift seemed a little early, I could still feel it pulling. Add to that the lazy WOT shifts in regular D mode and in S mode.

1 - 20 of 319 Posts