Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have grease on the inside of my right front wheel as well as along the outside seam of my CV boot. Not a lot but enough to make a mess. My CV is binding in tight turns in 4x4. From a 2.25 inch front lift. I am taking it in to the dealer to check it out but I have a 160 miles drive to do it. Is there plenty of grease in the boot after losing maybe two table spoons to make a trip?

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
With that much grease lost and the fact that it is binding already I would not risk that drive. Find a local reputable indy shop to put it up on a lift and check it out. The boot probably has a tear in it and it sounds like it might have been that way for a while.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
You will be fine. My boot got tore on my Tacoma around the 15k mile mark. Grease flung everywhere. Dry as a bone and clicking and binding like mad when in 4WD. I have 260k on the clock now. I got the new half shaft 12 years ago with intentions of replacing when the joint broke. Shaft is still on the shelf and I still drive the truck everywhere.

Reactions: RLA

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I usually see boots leak there when someone has installed a leveling kit going through the upper ball joint to remove the strut. Usually someone overextends the cv joint by pulling the spindle to far to get tit out. One of the reasons I always recommend going through the lower ball joint

Reactions: RLA

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
There's a lot of grease in the boot and on the joint so you should be fine. If the boot is torn apart then that's a different story.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the comments. I have never opened one up. I live in rural Wyoming and a local mechanic is hard to find or trust.

I had done a front lift, no problems until this past weekend, when I got caught in a rain storm, and had to use 4x4. It has functioned fine until in 4x4, and the front joints lurched as I turned and I had a distinct shimmy while in 4x4 on the muddy road driving about 35 mph. I got home got underneath to look things over and seen the fresh grease. I washed the mud off and can not see a noticeable tear in the boot, seems to have come out of the edge of it under the band. Any way, dif lowering kit on the way I will install it this weekend, try it out and then I will limp it to the dealer next weekend and see what they do to me!:eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts