Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an issue with my passager side cv axle. For some reason when I put it in four wheel drive I just bust the inner part of the axle. I have a 6inch lift the angle looks goo I got my spacers in the diff. Im thinking that when my old one busted and they installed my new one they didnt have everything in place when they lower it down or something. The inner boot looked all sucked in too which didnt seem normal either. Obviously i'm buying a new cv axle but I just wondering if anyone else has had this problem with it breaking when putting it in 4x4 drive and possible solutions. Thank you for any advice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Besides a hard cv angle what are some other reasons the cv axle inner part would brake all the time 4x4 is engaged?

·
Registered
701 Posts
So how long did the new axle actually last? Did it break the first time 4x4 was engaged after replacement? We're you on a hard surface when it happened? Which lift do you have? How long has lift been on? Tire size? Any other mods?

This is not a common problem but the more details you can give the better guesses we can make.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 4.7 v8 07 sr5 stock with 4.5 rough country lift and bilstein shocks all around. It breaks as soon as I engage the 4x4 and give it a little gas. I went literaly like 15 yards on the beach.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Our CV axles turn at all times. There is an actuator that splines the axle to the differential when 4x4 is engaged; the driveshaft is engaged at the transfer case at the same time. I would refuse to believe that a CV axle that turns freely enough to not break or make a noise or do something in 4x2 would break within 15 feet in 4x4.

I wouldn't replace the axle again without checking out the front differential and 4x4 actuator. There has to be another problem that is causing it, maybe when 4x4 is engaged it is actually locking the axle from turning somehow causing it to "plow" until the axle breaks and allows the tire to free roll again? Dunno.

·
Registered
701 Posts
The other possibility is that the replacement axle was too short. Did you buy an OEM axle or an aftermarket one?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'd say the aftermarket axle could easily be the issue since you mentioned the CV boot looked sucked in. New OEM axles are expensive, I would check into a used one.

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market
Enter vehicle info
Axle shaft
Sort by part grade
Front axle outer assembly

Page 3 shows a "Grade A" axle for $50 from Mr. R's Auto Salvage.. Add some shipping and tax and you should be under $100 for a used OEM axle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
So I installed the new car-done aftermarket cv axle and the axle looks stretched to me. I think as soon as I try four wheel drive again it will break because its stretched. I looked at the actuator and it was plugged in and seemed to work. Here's a pick and u can see the boot is all sucked in and I dont think that's a good thing. I was wondering if anyone has broken there cv axle and what they do to replace it aftermarket or oem? any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wrong axle for sure. The tripod joint is not fully seated in the cup is why you are breaking them, and also why the boot is so stretched. You need to remove that axle and source an OEM axle from car-part.com as stated above. You'll see the difference when you have an OEM axle next to that reman junk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts