Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope y'all can figure this out, it has me bumfuzzled. I have a repetitive "ping" noise coming from the driver front wheel. It resolves when the break is pressed. Things I have tried are: new rotors and pads, new caliper, trimmed back break dust cover, rotated wheels. I jacked up the truck and took a video of the noise and the difference in the driver wheel and passenger wheel spin time when rotated by hand.

My next step may be a new bushing from east coat gear supply though no one mentions a ping more of a wurr sound. Maybe a new cv axel? It doesn't sound like a wheel bearing to me.

- my video.

It is a constant click when the tire rotates to a certain point and it is repetitive if I rock the wheel forward and reverse.

This guy has a similar noise

·
Registered
18 Posts
on the first video, it sounds like maybe something is loose and hitting the dirt shield on the back of the brakes?
Loose caliper bolt or missing pad tension spring?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Caliper bolts good. Tension springs are new and properly installed. I can't see anything hitting the dirt shield. It's worth noting that the noise is still present when I rotate the axel with the wheel and rotor off.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
As much as i want to say wheel bearing unit ,, doesn't sound like one. .

Going to have to pull the unit bearing , spin it separately ( off the truck) , then the cv axel separate as well.

Hopefully not , but almost sounds like the front Diff . Probl a good time to change the fluid , and inspect its condition anyway .

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm planning on checking mine when the weather decides to cooperate..I'm dreading it.
I did notice last week, I had the rear full of scrap, that the noise was very less noticeable for whatever reason.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The truck has 140k miles. Has been used on and off to haul things. Up to 8k lbs at times.
I'm starting to think cv not needle bearing. I called ECGS and spoke with a man named John. I described the ping noise and he said it does not sound like the noise that is typical for a needle bearing. I also took a video of the play at the white the cv axel meets the diff. Driver side vs passenger side play.

At this point I plan to replace the axel and if that doesn't fix it add the bushing. Wonder if Advanced auto will return the axel if it is the bushing?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is no high speed growel that I can detect though my tires are noisey. The truck has no lift. From what I have read lifts seem to speed up the wearing of needle bearings on Tacoma.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts