Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stock Toyota Tundra leaf packs are only 2.25" wide. In order to build a proper off road suspension, you need to install a set of multi-leaf progressive leaf packs. Something like the Deaver K37 packs; or if you are long travel like I am, the Deaver I96 packs. This will give you a nice linear progressive spring rate. They will be very soft and cushy, however, they wont hold a lot of gear weight. Deaver will build you custom packs that will hold more weight. The problem is that typical gear weights associated with overlanding are usually 500 to 1000 lbs. My truck is currently 8000 lbs fully loaded for a long trip; about 4000 lbs on the rear axle. So in order to build the packs to hold the weight, they get very thick. My current packs are over 3.5" thick and they sag way too much.

I've been talking with Jeff at Deaver and Tim at DMZ. It's never been done before, but I am going to install some wider 3" leaf packs. They will be reverse eye and just over 3" thick, a little thinner than my current packs. They will articulate the same, achieve 3" more lift than my current setup, and be stiffer laterally. DMZ already checked clearance and Tim is designing a new front hanger. We can reuse the shackles, just need to add washer faces. The spring perches will need to be wider and some new springs plates will be fabbed.

Thick leaf packs are more of a problem for spring over setups as they reduce up travel. for a spring under, they reduce ground clearance. Both type of rear suspension can benefit from going to wider packs. You just have to be comfortable with the supporting mods. Hopefully I can wrap this up before the end of the year and finally fix my saggy rear for good.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Stock Toyota Tundra leaf packs are only 2.25" wide. In order to build a proper off road suspension, you need to install a set of multi-leaf progressive leaf packs. Something like the Deaver K37 packs; or if you are long travel like I am, the Deaver I96 packs. This will give you a nice linear progressive spring rate. They will be very soft and cushy, however, they wont hold a lot of gear weight. Deaver will build you custom packs that will hold more weight. The problem is that typical gear weights associated with overlanding are usually 500 to 1000 lbs. My truck is currently 8000 lbs fully loaded for a long trip; about 4000 lbs on the rear axle. So in order to build the packs to hold the weight, they get very thick. My current packs are over 3.5" thick and they sag way too much.

I've been talking with Jeff at Deaver and Tim at DMZ. It's never been done before, but I am going to install some wider 3" leaf packs. They will be reverse eye and just over 3" thick, a little thinner than my current packs. They will articulate the same, achieve 3" more lift than my current setup, and be stiffer laterally. DMZ already checked clearance and Tim is designing a new front hanger. We can reuse the shackles, just need to add washer faces. The spring perches will need to be wider and some new springs plates will be fabbed.

Thick leaf packs are more of a problem for spring over setups as they reduce up travel. for a spring under, they reduce ground clearance. Both type of rear suspension can benefit from going to wider packs. You just have to be comfortable with the supporting mods. Hopefully I can wrap this up before the end of the year and finally fix my saggy rear for good.
Could you share some photos of your setup.. or do you have a build thread? I'm interested in your tundra being an overland rig. Thanks in advance.

2016 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro CM MGM

IG: @kt_harb.protundra

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could you share some photos of your setup.. or do you have a build thread? I'm interested in your tundra being an overland rig. Thanks in advance.

Click my signature for my build thread. Let me know if you have any questions

·
Registered
832 Posts
Maybe give Bill Ford over at Alcan Spring a call for 3" leaf springs, and consider adding an Air-Lift system to the rear. I am running a spring under set-up on my '07 RCSB with standard spec Alcan replacement springs plus a TRD anti-sway bar. I'm very happy with the improved ride & control, but I don't haul heavy loads or tow anything ... I would add the Air-Lift system if I did.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Interesting

I like the direction. Tim know his shit, and you can't really go wrong. All your doing is swapping the same stuff you would for SUA and adding in the front perch, which some would reposition anyway for a longer spring.

Why not just link it and go trailing arm rear? Get away from the Leaf Spring limitations completely. Or are you not running a bed cage?
Links with coils, bypasses and bed cage would way outperform leafs. Overall investment, if your changing and fabbing all this at the same time (and paying someone to do it as well) would be very close in total cost. I actually looked into it and got some quotes before i committed to SUA Deaver route. Come to find out- i can't afford to pay people to do work on my truck :)

Look forward to your journey

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting

I like the direction. Tim know his shit, and you can't really go wrong. All your doing is swapping the same stuff you would for SUA and adding in the front perch, which some would reposition anyway for a longer spring.

Why not just link it and go trailing arm rear? Get away from the Leaf Spring limitations completely. Or are you not running a bed cage?
Links with coils, bypasses and bed cage would way outperform leafs. Overall investment, if your changing and fabbing all this at the same time (and paying someone to do it as well) would be very close in total cost. I actually looked into it and got some quotes before i committed to SUA Deaver route. Come to find out- i can't afford to pay people to do work on my truck :)

Look forward to your journey
I'm already long travel SUA with a bed cage. I also have my frame boxed. Links would reduce ground clearance and dont ride as well on the street. Wider springs and supporting mods are only going to cost a couple thousand. Doing links would be super expensive and I would have to relocate the fuel tank

Also, I don't really feel like leafs have "limitations". They're super durable, simple, and they articulate well. I just need them to be able to support more weight without getting too thick.

Front hanger isn't going to be repositioned. Its just going to be wider to accept the wider packs.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe give Bill Ford over at Alcan Spring a call for 3" leaf springs, and consider adding an Air-Lift system to the rear. I am running a spring under set-up on my '07 RCSB with standard spec Alcan replacement springs plus a TRD anti-sway bar. I'm very happy with the improved ride & control, but I don't haul heavy loads or tow anything ... I would add the Air-Lift system if I did.
I've run Alcans before. They're good springs. Deaver has more experience making leaf packs perform well on high speed terrain

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found your signature in your profile but was unable to click on it. Idk if it matters that I'm using the tapatalk app or not.

Well, I keep posting the raw link, but TT is turning it into a hyper link

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
how about the U748 from Deaver ?
mcm fab has them.
The U748 is a new pack from Deaver. It has a higher progressive spring curve in order to hold more weight. It won't have the same high speed performance characteristics of the K37 or I96 packs, but they will ride nice with a lot of weight in the bed. These packs are good for guys who are constantly changing the weight in the bed. My truck weight never changes, its always a fat ass lol

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.