Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the Tundras on the lot in my area seem to be white, silver, or black. I hate to be a pain. But if I'm going to shell out $30K+, it would be nice if it was a color that I liked. Or if I expanded my search and found the right color, the configuration wouldn't be close. I swear some of these look like they were configured by a sales guy randomly picking things.

If anyone has done a custom build, I'd appreciate any advice you might have. Can I expect to pay in the ballpark of 85% MSRP? Or is it going to be closer to sticker? In a rough ball park, how long would I be waiting for it to arrive? 6-8 weeks?

·
Registered
371 Posts
I don't think you can do a custom built at this point, I'd say production of the 13 stopped early this year. You will get a dealer locate the closest thing to what you want and have it shipped to their lot for a premium price with very little or no haggle room.

Reactions: Grumble69

·
Registered
383 Posts
I noticed the same thing on the lot where I bought mine a month ago. Luckily, they had a nautical blue double cab with step bars and bed liner. I chose it instead of one of the 20 white ones.

Reactions: Grumble69

·
Registered
180 Posts
When I bought my new 2012, a local dealer had to call to get approval for the color and options I wanted. He got approval but was told it would be a 4 to 6 month wait. I then found a regular cab long bed, which was what I wanted, 150 miles away but it was white. I bought the white one and then got a call from the dealer saying the order took and they got the truck in five weeks. With the 2014 model change, you may not be able to get what you want, unless its a 2014.

·
Registered
146 Posts
afaik Toyota does not do custom orders. You specify what you want and the dealer tries to locate one like that. Their production lines do not work that way, you want custom you need to go to Ford or other manufacturers that are willing to have less efficient production capabilities to match customer demand specifically.

From all I know is that a "special" order is the dealer watching stock as it rolls out of the factory and grabbing one that is close enough and can hopefully have options finished off at the port or dealer for you.

·
Registered
138 Posts
afaik Toyota does not do custom orders. You specify what you want and the dealer tries to locate one like that. Their production lines do not work that way, you want custom you need to go to Ford or other manufacturers that are willing to have less efficient production capabilities to match customer demand specifically.

From all I know is that a "special" order is the dealer watching stock as it rolls out of the factory and grabbing one that is close enough and can hopefully have options finished off at the port or dealer for you.
Not exactly true. I ordered mine because what I wanted could not be located in stock anywhere. I knew the build date in TX, when it was shipped to Jacksonville for the other options, and when it was shipped to the dealer in Tampa. All in all, took about 6 weeks, but got the color and all the options I wanted.

That was the beginning of March.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
I have heard the same thing V4lu13s said. When you try to custom order what you're basically saying is you want the next one that comes off the assembly line in the normal build schedule that is configured that way.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I custom ordered mine last month, so they are still building them.

I chose everything I wanted and am suppose to get a VIN number and a proposed delivery date soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts