Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so i got real tired of having to find ways to get that awful pos plastic canister off to do my oil change, and after researching a bit, i came across this post. Now im sure alot of you have aleady seen this, but i figured i would share my experience with it. I ordered the custom oil filter wrench from Tundra custom made Oil Filter tool for a total of $11.50 shipped USPS. When i pulled the tool out of the package i noticed immediately that whoever did this did it right.
The quality of the tool is top notch, and even has engravings on it and even tells you which way to turn. I cannot believe i got this part for as low as he is selling them. I took it out and put it on to check the fitment and it fit perfect!

I never have to hope that those cheap oil filter wrenches dont slip ever again! The guy selling them was able to answer all my questions and i got the tool in like...3 days. I give the tool 5 stars. Now...of course since everything i do to this truck ends up being a nightmare, i got the filter cartridge off with no problem and only getting a little upset that a little bit of oil was getting on my driveway. I then removed the drain plug and it splashed a little over the edge. I immediately fixed it and dropped the drain plug into the catch pan and it went into the hole in such a way that it blocked it up, so then the pan overflowed and id say about 2 qts atleast went all down my driveway. Then..the drainplug fell into the drainpan so i drained that pan into a bucket laying around and realized the plug wouldnt come out of the drain pans drain hole. Had to fish forkt with my finger and pull it back out the top. Oh well the tool i awesome!

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Looks like a good idea.
Now order the metal Venza filter cover and get rid of that plastic one.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
I made one just like this one. The only thing I did different was I welded a 14mm nut to it. I can use my gear wrench instead of the ratchet. I had no way to make the square hole, so I cheated by using a nut.

KO

·
Registered
406 Posts
Anyone have a link to order this?

·
Registered
406 Posts

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Has anyone ordered and used the aluminum Venza oil filter canister? My plastic housing is rounding off and I cant get it off. I believe Im gonna order this tool mentioned above..heres the link... Toyota Lexus Scion Special Oil Filter Wrench Tool Large Size | eBay

Here is the link to the aluminum filter housing... Toyota Lexus Scion Special Oil Filter Wrench Large Tool Filter Cap 15620 31060 | eBay

Thanks!
Looks like the second eBay link includes the tool AND the aluminum housing...

·
Registered
406 Posts
I know...has anyone experienced the housing? Can you use the tundra filters or does this require you to use vena filter ?

·
Registered
744 Posts
I know...has anyone experienced the housing? Can you use the tundra filters or does this require you to use vena filter ?

Still uses the tundra filter. Once you get the aluminum housing, you switch out the internal from the tundra housing to the Venza housing.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Just got my venza aluminum housing and filter tool in. I'll poll install it this weekend

·
Registered
406 Posts
How did it go?
Looong story. I've not installed the aluminum housing yet...when I got the new tool to remove filter housing I ended up breaking the plastic ears off And bending the tool! I was then out of options so I drove it 8 miles to my mechanic. Come to find out where one ear broke off it went deep enough creating a hole so during my 8 mile trip I'd day I lost a 1/2 qt if oil. My mechanic was able to get it off with a huge pair of channel lock pliars. I has him replace the housing with an oem plastic housing so on the next change I will change to aluminum housing and have this one as a spare. BTW, I was able to bend the tool back into shape.

So much for long story short.... Lmao

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am defiantly getting one of these. When I take my truck to get an oil change, I can never do it myself afterwards, cause how tight they but that b**** on there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts