Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
I don't know if the side curtains are tied into the SRS ECU or not. Most likely they are. I get my SRS ECU's reprogrammed from: myairbags.com

I've done 4 SRS ECU's over the years. Everything is working just fine.

Reactions: 2012CMINCO

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
The ECU is removed from the vehicle and sent in. It takes 3-4 days for them to get it back to you.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
I'm pretty sure the dealership is going to require you to go new. I thought you were doing the work yourself.

The air bag ECU is located under the middle of the dash. Its bolted to the transmission hump on the floor. It is hard to get to. I hope you have small hands.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
All good points.

Unfortunately Toyota has deep pockets and must protect itself from being sued. Hence, their policy is to replace the entire system.

The SRS is not that complicated. It needs to do a continuity check every time you start the truck. After that, the only thing that tells the bags to go off is the ECU after it receives data from the sensors. If a sensor is bad, you will have an air bag light on.

The SRS system is built to be simple and reliable. The ECU has the hard job in telling what bag(s) to blow.

For that matter, it is absolutely amazing the number of vehicle that are just destroyed, but the bags do not go off, yet on the opposite side of the spectrum, the number of vehicles that have very little damage, but the bags are blown.

I've spent much time in salvage yards looking at these vehicles. The only thing I can tell you is, it is not wise to assume the air bag will go off in an accident. Trust your seat belt, but never trust the SRS ECU to tell the bags to go off.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
If your seat belt is stuck, then the retractor needs rebuilt. The only way to make them work again properly is to remove them and send them to the same place that I listed above.

As Shasta Said. It sounds like you have a reasonable reason to have the insurance fix your truck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts