Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

long story short, I was off roading in my 2011 CM Tundra, went through a steep dune side ways and BAM, all curtain airbags came out. :eek:

I know I forgot to disable them :(

Anyways, the stealership wants almost 8K$ :laugh::laugh: and the bad news there's only one toyota stealership in my country, besides that airbags can't be shipped.

Right now i'm looking for used airbags but my concern is the trigger.
Should I replace the computer or it can be reprogrammed? TBH i'm not sure how it works and i'd like to here your advice.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a 2014, and there is no such switch. On the right hand side there is a VSC switch, but that doesnt disable the airbags. (All according to the 2014 owners manual)...

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
I don't know if the side curtains are tied into the SRS ECU or not. Most likely they are. I get my SRS ECU's reprogrammed from: myairbags.com

I've done 4 SRS ECU's over the years. Everything is working just fine.

Reactions: 2012CMINCO

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
The ECU is removed from the vehicle and sent in. It takes 3-4 days for them to get it back to you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think that's not possible with this stealership.

Where is this ecu located? I look for new or used one.

Thx

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
I'm pretty sure the dealership is going to require you to go new. I thought you were doing the work yourself.

The air bag ECU is located under the middle of the dash. Its bolted to the transmission hump on the floor. It is hard to get to. I hope you have small hands.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm pretty sure the dealership is going to require you to go new. I thought you were doing the work yourself.

The air bag ECU is located under the middle of the dash. Its bolted to the transmission hump on the floor. It is hard to get to. I hope you have small hands.
well the dealership doesn't sell tundras in the first place but they do sell the sequoia. I'm sure they'll say it's not compatible with the tundra. I'll see if I can reprogram it first or i'll get a new one from abroad.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I am not sure about the way things are now. I work for Toyota till 2007. When I worked for Toyota all sensors were a one time use. If the air bags were deployed the sensors had to be replaces as well as the squib cable/clock spring. I was under the impression these were a g force sensor and could not be repaired or reset. There were many set ups, but the typical set up was two front sensors by the head lights, one below the center console, called the main air bag sensor. This would be for a frontal collision.

If the car had side curtain there would be one or two sensors per side at the A,B,C pillars. Another thing to look at is your seat belts. Make sure they pull out and go back all the way. There is an explosive charge at the base of the seat belts to pull them tight against the body, to prevent someone from hitting the wheel or sliding under the belt if the belt is loose or the person is wearing a bulky jacket.

It may have change to air bag ECUs and are able to be reprogrammed but this I am not sure. If they are able to be reprogrammed and calibrated ok. If not, I am not sure I would have someone tell me it can be done other than a very very reputable body shop, the dealership or Toyota saying it is ok to do. You are having SOMEONE ELSE PACK YOUR PARACHUTE!!! Or your wife and kids!! Make sure they are correct.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
All good points.

Unfortunately Toyota has deep pockets and must protect itself from being sued. Hence, their policy is to replace the entire system.

The SRS is not that complicated. It needs to do a continuity check every time you start the truck. After that, the only thing that tells the bags to go off is the ECU after it receives data from the sensors. If a sensor is bad, you will have an air bag light on.

The SRS system is built to be simple and reliable. The ECU has the hard job in telling what bag(s) to blow.

For that matter, it is absolutely amazing the number of vehicle that are just destroyed, but the bags do not go off, yet on the opposite side of the spectrum, the number of vehicles that have very little damage, but the bags are blown.

I've spent much time in salvage yards looking at these vehicles. The only thing I can tell you is, it is not wise to assume the air bag will go off in an accident. Trust your seat belt, but never trust the SRS ECU to tell the bags to go off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am not sure about the way things are now. I work for Toyota till 2007. When I worked for Toyota all sensors were a one time use. If the air bags were deployed the sensors had to be replaces as well as the squib cable/clock spring. I was under the impression these were a g force sensor and could not be repaired or reset. There were many set ups, but the typical set up was two front sensors by the head lights, one below the center console, called the main air bag sensor. This would be for a frontal collision.

If the car had side curtain there would be one or two sensors per side at the A,B,C pillars. Another thing to look at is your seat belts. Make sure they pull out and go back all the way. There is an explosive charge at the base of the seat belts to pull them tight against the body, to prevent someone from hitting the wheel or sliding under the belt if the belt is loose or the person is wearing a bulky jacket.

It may have change to air bag ECUs and are able to be reprogrammed but this I am not sure. If they are able to be reprogrammed and calibrated ok. If not, I am not sure I would have someone tell me it can be done other than a very very reputable body shop, the dealership or Toyota saying it is ok to do. You are having SOMEONE ELSE PACK YOUR PARACHUTE!!! Or your wife and kids!! Make sure they are correct.

Thanks for the info. The seat belt is stuck and cannot be pulled now. It wasn't on me during offroading but I'll see tomorrow what can be done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All good points.

The SRS is not that complicated. It needs to do a continuity check every time you start the truck. After that, the only thing that tells the bags to go off is the ECU after it receives data from the sensors. If a sensor is bad, you will have an air bag light on.

The SRS system is built to be simple and reliable. The ECU has the hard job in telling what bag(s) to blow.
So if I replaced the ECU and the airbag lights is gone, i'd assume that the system is working again?

regarding the seat belts, is there anything I should also replace?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
Claim it with your insurance.

Reactions: koditten

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
If your seat belt is stuck, then the retractor needs rebuilt. The only way to make them work again properly is to remove them and send them to the same place that I listed above.

As Shasta Said. It sounds like you have a reasonable reason to have the insurance fix your truck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If your seat belt is stuck, then the retractor needs rebuilt. The only way to make them work again properly is to remove them and send them to the same place that I listed above.

As Shasta Said. It sounds like you have a reasonable reason to have the insurance fix your truck.
That's not an option because I have partial insurance. anyways, this thing looks like it would be a pain to fix. I'll take it to a garage tomorrow and we'll dismantle the whole roof and we'll see what can we do.

Thanks all for the feedback

·
Registered
326 Posts
Idk where you are... but in New York it is illegal to buy, sell, or install used airbags or air bag components.

If it were me and my family in that truck, i would either spend the 8k to replace it or buy a new truck. I would then get full coverage.

Reactions: ajkkane

·
Registered
398 Posts
One more thing

Thanks for the info. The seat belt is stuck and cannot be pulled now. It wasn't on me during offroading but I'll see tomorrow what can be done.
I would check with Toyota and their dealerships to see if the ecu/airbag sensor can be or should be recalibrated. I would never! never! never! get an air bag or a seat belt rebuilt!!! Never never never!!!!!
It's your money your life do as you please.

What I am getting at is, someone may have figured out a way to do this, but should it be done?

There are things that can be done and should be done. Like reusing a condom, it can be done, but should it be done?

Be careful, life is free, hospitals and nursing homes ain't.
What is your, your friends, and your family's life worth? Don't go cheap cause someone said they can do it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.