Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very very curious to see if Toyota can strike a deal with Cummins like Nissan has done to put the 5.0 V-8 Cummins powered turbo diesel in the future tundras. Has anyone heard if this could become reality?

I'll be the 1st to order one if they are able to strike a deal! The durability of a toyota truck, with Cummins power would be unstopable!!!!

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Sales rep I bought mine from says Toyota has been working with Hino for a few years now to develop a diesel in the Tundra and expects that's who they will end up using.

·
I Kick Hippies
1,263 Posts
Toyota doesn't need a diesel engine from another company, they already have their own diesels in other parts of the world. That said, I doubt we'll ever see a diesel Tundra.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
If Toyota brings any diesels to the states for the Tundra, it will be the 1VD-FTV currently seeing use in Australia and South America. To my knowledge, they aren't even in talks with Cummins, nor do they need to be really.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
78 Posts
My cousin works (line manager) at the San Antonio Toyota plant and he says that they will be offering a different engine next yr (more power with better fuel mileage) but no diesel.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
My cousin works (line manager) at the San Antonio Toyota plant and he says that they will be offering a different engine next yr (more power with better fuel mileage) but no diesel.
That's exciting if true, hope so

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Be very interesting to see how we'll the Titan sells with the available cummins under the hood. I'll be very curious to see how they price the truck vs the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks with a diesel.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Wait. Not so fast. Toyota also made other trucks but chose to build one in the USA.

It is actually more likely Toyota would use a cummins. They will ONLY use American made motors for the Tundra. Period.

In keeping with the most American made truck theme. I highly doubt they will move away from that.

·
Registered
295 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nissan is gona spank dodge with there 5.0 lol only smart thing dodge has ever done was put the 6bt in there 3/4ton+ trucks.. But that engine line is way to heavy for a 1/2.. Since they actually weigh a 1/2 ton dry. Pray the Toyota dosnt go with international if they get a diesel. Ford dropped them after there 6.0 and 6.4 turned out to be lemmon engines

·
Registered
295 Posts
That's the plant that built my 2013 DC
Is there more than one plant that builds Tundra's? I though all were built at the same plant. :p

·
Registered
295 Posts
This seems way more likely. Also this will probably be direct injected, among other design changes. This could be the end to the TRD Supercharger option.

Glad I got in on the 5.7 before its gone, can't wait to get the Supercharger.

·
Registered
497 Posts
This seems way more likely. Also this will probably be direct injected, among other design changes. This could be the end to the TRD Supercharger option.

Glad I got in on the 5.7 before its gone, can't wait to get the Supercharger.
Indeed.

I also don't want to be the test mule for any maker's first year with all new motor/trans combo.

I like to see 2-3 yrs at least to work the kinks out and prove worthy of purchase.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts