Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
I use cruise all the time but 2 weeks ago I think I found out why you don't want to use it towing. I was in Penn. some real steep mts. and when on cruise going down your brakes are applyed to hold your truck at your set speed. Man did I smoke them. No harm done but from now on all long grades I will kick off cruise and will manually apply my brakes.

· Registered
1,206 Posts
I think it depends on what type of terrain you are towing in and how big your trailer is. I tow a 25' travel trailer and have found using the cruise control causes the tranny to downshift more than I would like. If I'm on a flat stretch I'll use it but if a hill is coming up I cancel it and let the truck loose a little speed if needed to keep the tranny from shifting.

Reactions: umandave

· Registered
526 Posts
My owners manual says not to use cruise control while towing. I like using cc on long trips. Does anyone out there ever use cc on long hauls. Your input on this matter would be appreciated.

2012 tundra 5.7 crew cab
I find I have a lot more control using the foot throttle regardless of which trailer I'm towing, and that means increased fuel mileage and less tranny-trauma. I tow everything from a 2500lb snowmobile trailer to equipment trailers weighing more than the truck is rated for and consistantly get better mileage than with cruise. The heavier trailers I use the "S" mode and lock out 6th gear

Reactions: umandave

· Registered
755 Posts
I too have a lot more control when it comes to transmission shifting and better MPGs when towing by not using cruise control.
The only time I use cruise control when towing is if my right foot needs a brief rest on a long trip and only on a flat stretch of highway.
I use tow haul mode when towing as it works better for my trailer than "S" mode does when it comes to MPG.

· Registered
926 Posts
I think it depends on what type of terrain you are towing in and how big your trailer is. I tow a 25' travel trailer and have found using the cruise control causes the tranny to downshift more than I would like. If I'm on a flat stretch I'll use it but if a hill is coming up I cancel it and let the truck loose a little speed if needed to keep the tranny from shifting.
I do the same thing when Im towing my 28ft Travel trailer with bikes and all probably which weighs around 7000 pounds fully loaded. I set cruise on flat roads but disengage it before an incline.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.