Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 327 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm starting a new thread cause I'm actually doing it now. The previous thread was more of a discussion. I'll document the work done here.

I've always wanted to do this but never really got serious about it until recently.

The first hurdle was actually locating a donor cab. I figured after several years being on the market they would be easy to find. Boy was I wrong. I guess most get rebuilt since they hold their value so well. The couple that I did find locally had either been cut already or they wanted way too much money.

Luckily I found a yard less than a hundred miles away that not only had the cab but also an appreciation for interesting custom projects. They made me a great deal on the donor cab plus all of the hardware ( motor, regulator , glass, etc...)

This thread is not intended to be an instructional or DIY type deal. You'll need a good deal of tools/equipment and a good understanding of Auto body repair techniques to get it done. Additionally I'm not 100% sure how this thing is gonna turn out yet.

I plan to update this thread as I do work and get pics. Here are some progress pics so far. Let the fun begin:

Bed removed:

Off to the glass shop, last time ill be needing this:

Donor cab plus my truck

No turning back now! This thing better workout

·
Registered
444 Posts
Sub

Reactions: Ogtoyfan and Wacked

·
Registered
214 Posts
Nice!
Back after high school, I put a "super dome" in my chevy luv truck that involved cutting the top out of the truck. Worked well and used it for years with no leaks.

Keep it up. It'll work!

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
AWESOME...But I'll admit, I got a little sick to my stomach for you when I saw the cut up RCSB.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
One of kind man. Sweet!

Reactions: Ogtoyfan and Wacked

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I carefully measured the perimeter and made a template of the glass before anything was removed. They looked to be 99% in terms of general shape so I felt good about the mod. THe big difference was the height of the glass opening. THe Crewmax opening was about an inch shorter

The only other question was whether the "pocket" or recess for the glass would have the same geometry. Since the RCSB is urethane set glass, I would have no way of knowing until it was cut out and all the urethane removed. If the geometry is the same, then the mod is a matter of simply swapping the lower rear cab panel. If it is not, then it becomes a full blown fab project where the whole rear glass frame from the C max will have to be spliced in to my truck first before the lower rear panel can be welded in.

It became quickly apparent once the glass was removed that it was not the same. This means it is going to take some time and careful planning to get it to work. This also means having a donor cab is the only way this mod will work since you cannot simply buy all of these panels from Toyota (unless you have really deep pockets)

I felt a little sick cutting in to the cab, but I have a good bit of experience working with autobody and general fabrication. I am confident it will work (ok 95% confident)

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Wow!!!!!! Please post many pics along the way. Will be following

Reactions: Wacked

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Maybe this will make the guys at Toyota start building all models with a roll down rear window.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Subscribing.

Question: Are you doing this to what was a perfectly good truck, or did it get crashed and now is a good time to attempt such a modification?

Either way, good luck.

1 - 20 of 327 Posts