Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

141 - 160 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would like to keep my 20" platinum rims but would like to put 35x12.50 20 BFG T/A KO2 tires on them. Do you think this will work with your mods? I also have a 3/1 leveling kit and going to put on 1.75" spacers. Thanks

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
stock 20s

I would like to keep my 20" platinum rims but would like to put 35x12.50 20 BFG T/A KO2 tires on them. Do you think this will work with your mods? I also have a 3/1 leveling kit and going to put on 1.75" spacers. Thanks
The Stock Platinum wheels are too narrow to run 12.50. You would be unlikely to find anyone who would install a 12.50 on an 8.00 wheel and if you did the tire would wear oddly. A 285-65-20 gets you 9.50 in. wide with 34.7 in. height. The BFG T/A Ko2 is one of only two tires made in that size. Hopefully, the new tread pattern will work as well as the past generations and last longer.

Reactions: Dixon Cider

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Stock Platinum wheels are too narrow to run 12.50. You would be unlikely to find anyone who would install a 12.50 on an 8.00 wheel and if you did the tire would wear oddly. A 285-65-20 gets you 9.50 in. wide with 34.7 in. height. The BFG T/A Ko2 is one of only two tires made in that size. Hopefully, the new tread pattern will work as well as the past generations and last longer.
So I know this topic is beat to death I am about to get an LRO 3/1 for my '13 Tundra Crew Limited and I want to do the 285/65/20 on stock wheels no spacers. I plan on tossing the mud flaps, cutting any plastic crap out of wheel wells and possibly removing skid and bending it with a hammer if need be. My question is there are only the BFGs avail in that size. Would it be better to go a profile size down for more options? I just want a more aggressive look, leveled with a solid AT tire for snow and minor mudding.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
So I know this topic is beat to death I am about to get an LRO 3/1 for my '13 Tundra Crew Limited and I want to do the 285/65/20 on stock wheels no spacers. I plan on tossing the mud flaps, cutting any plastic crap out of wheel wells and possibly removing skid and bending it with a hammer if need be. My question is there are only the BFGs avail in that size. Would it be better to go a profile size down for more options? I just want a more aggressive look, leveled with a solid AT tire for snow and minor mudding.
Hopefully you read the beginning of my post that states you do not need to go to great lengths to make this tire combo fit. If not go back to the first post. Yes, it is true there are only two tires made in 285-65-20 BFG A/T Ko2 and Goodyear MT. and usually you need to order this size So, to increase the availability and options go to
275-65-20 and almost all manufactures have a tire in that size.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hopefully you read the beginning of my post that states you do not need to go to great lengths to make this tire combo fit. If not go back to the first post. Yes, it is true there are only two tires made in 285-65-20 BFG A/T Ko2 and Goodyear MT. and usually you need to order this size So, to increase the availability and options go to

I did.. I removed the mud flaps, doing skid plate this weekend. Not sure if I will move the wheel well forward or not. I am going 285s though for sure. I like the look better.

I am also going readylift 3/2.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm doing 285 65 20 ko2s as well on stock limited wheels. Ordered them this week. I don't mind trimming liner some or messing with skid plate but I'm shitting bricks worried about rubbing on the sway bar. They will look nice though...

·
Registered
92 Posts
dont the Grappler G2 come in 285/65/20?... it has it on their website, but not sure if they changed anything...

Terra Grappler G2 All-Terrain Light Truck Radial Tires

LT285/65R20 E 127/124S 215450 15.0 34.57 11.50 8.0-(8.5)-10.0 3860/3525 @ 80psi

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
dont the Grappler G2 come in 285/65/20?... it has it on their website, but not sure if they changed anything...

Terra Grappler G2 All-Terrain Light Truck Radial Tires

LT285/65R20 E 127/124S 215450 15.0 34.57 11.50 8.0-(8.5)-10.0 3860/3525 @ 80psi
You are correct, I just look at Tire Rack as they have the best comparison web site. The Tire Rack does not carry Nitto that I am aware of, so never noticed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I put on the BFG KO2s to a new platinum crewmax. Only once I made it home did I notice the rub and start reading the forum. Rubbing comes on front wheels, when I turn in fully.

I'm a car idiot and have gone through this thread a couple of times. Any chance those of you that did the mod on the front can post more pics of the after?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
I put on the BFG KO2s to a new platinum crewmax. Only once I made it home did I notice the rub and start reading the forum. Rubbing comes on front wheels, when I turn in fully.

I'm a car idiot and have gone through this thread a couple of times. Any chance those of you that did the mod on the front can post more pics of the after?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
where are you rubbing? if its just the front fender liner that protects the back of the fog light make note of where it rubs. then take a heat gun and heat that area and a bit around it then push it forward till you get the clearance you need. if you are hitting the skid plate you can cut the ears off or bend them out of the way.
when you do this do you need to un screw the inner fender or just heat it up as is and push it in?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just put new tires (295 60 R20) and wheels (20x9 Fuel) on my truck 2016 Platinum. I am also having the same rub issue as others, on my front tire wheel wells bilaterally. Does anyone have pictures or suggestions as to a fix for a 2015/2016? I've seen it in several threads in different areas but I didn't take note as to where I saw them. Thank you for any and all help.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just put on 35's and it only took about 10 minutes to unscrew the front fender liners and push the plastic into the fog light housing. Plenty of room now and no heat gun needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
I took the 2 screws and 2 bolts out and modified my '14 today.

1. Remove 2 screws and 2 bolts

2. Drilled a new hole for the inner most screw about 1" further back than the current hole and 1/4" further inwards.

3. Screwed the self taping screw just through the plastic 1/16"

4. Pushed the liner forward and pulled the bumper back to line up the new screw hole with the grommet. Punching the screw slightly through in step 2 helps line it all up.

5. Drill out existing hole edge of plastic liner where inner bolt attaches to bumper

6. Replace inner most bolt

7. Replace outer bolt and outer screw.

I gained 1-4/1-2" I think, but I didn't measure. It now clears full sweep both directions except in reverse. It only hits in reverse when going near full lock. I will heat it up with a heat gun and push it in to gain a little more.
i appreciate the written instructions,...
is there a youtube video out there
for visual understanding?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I do not rub at all anymore going forward at full turn, but when reversing at full turn I can still rub a little bit. I have removed with inner fenders completely and made a mod to the inside of my bumper. Running 315 (35") tires though. It is not a problem for me.
im interested in the Mod you did to the inside bumper,...how does it look? foglights still protected?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks Maverick,
Your before/ after really helps to see the clearance gained
No problem. It's so easy that you can spend more time talking about it than just doing it lol. However, I took some close up pictures to illustrate the mod. Unscrew two bolts, push plastic fender liner back about 1.5", drill two new holes and re-install bolts. I hope this helps.

Attachments

Reactions: mudfuel07

·
Registered
13 Posts
No problem. It's so easy that you can spend more time talking about it than just doing it lol. However, I took some close up pictures to illustrate the mod. Unscrew two bolts, push plastic fender liner back about 1.5", drill two new holes and re-install bolts. I hope this helps.

What suspension setup and trim truck do you have ?

·
Registered
159 Posts
What suspension setup and trim truck do you have ?
All of my info is in my signature below. You have to remove the mud flaps to get to everything.

141 - 160 of 171 Posts