Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

21 - 40 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Great write up, made my job alot easier.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just installed rims, tires, lift. Had massive rubbing. 7" lift with 35" tires. -5.25 backspacing on rims. I had to remove the rear well, the front well, and cut the front bumper (on the bottom) about 3/4" inch. I plan on modding the plastic wheel well (prob just front), but just removed them temporarily until I decide how to cut. I have a pretty big area that I need to remove. I have ZERO rubbing now. The bumper was the toughest part. Had to use a jigsaw with metal blade. Subscribed.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Thread Revival.............. after lowering my lift 3/4 of an inch I am running into rubbing issues on the front wheel well. Will be doing this mod as I rub in reverse when turning, as well as when I have my co-workers in the truck moving forward and turning. Thanks OP, i like that i can try this route and not have it look like I hacked the hell out of my bumper.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As of now I am running a 285/75/R16 BFGoodrich All-Terrain. I want to go up to a 35x12.50. What kind and how much lift do you think would do best to get good clearance with no rubbing? Any suggestions would be freatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
Sorry guys I chickened out. 33.1" on 18's was all I could muster up the cahones to do.....

But no lift, no leveling, and no issues with any rubbing either, on anything, with full lock. Oh, and still at 15.3 mpg.....:D

Maybe next time............

Rob

·
Registered
95 Posts
this is perfect, thanks for the great write up! gonna do this when i get home from camp as ive destroyed my front mud flaps

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I have not been on line in a while. Glad the post is still helping people. At 30,000 miles I have worn out my BFG and will be purchasing another set. I wish I would have gotten more mileage out of $1550 tires. The tires are right next to bald and what surprises me is they still ride and drive great. I have had tires in the past that I felt had 15,000 miles left in them and had to take them off as I could not keep the vehicle on the road.

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
I have not been on line in a while. Glad the post is still helping people. At 30,000 miles I have worn out my BFG and will be purchasing another set. I wish I would have gotten more mileage out of $1550 tires. The tires are right next to bald and what surprises me is they still ride and drive great. I have had tires in the past that I felt had 15,000 miles left in them and had to take them off as I could not keep the vehicle on the road.
30k miles? I would expect no less than 45k easy. Is that an E or D rated version you are running? They are the number 1 mounted tire, so you can't go wrong either way.

Rob

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
30k miles? I would expect no less than 45k easy. Is that an E or D rated version you are running? They are the number 1 mounted tire, so you can't go wrong either way.

Rob
I was hopping for close to 45,000. However, I know my driving habits on the mountain roads I drive and considering me in the equation I guess 30,000 is not the end of the world. The tires are E-rated and I like the looks and the performance for what they are designed to do. The problem is when I drive my truck as if I am in my 1972 Datsun 240Z and grind the front tires off.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So I've read and re-read this post about 10 x's in anticipation when I lift my truck (Thanks OP!). I put on my N-Fabs this afternoon and figured I would go ahead and get the truck ready for next weekend for the lift and do this mod.

I have a 2013 and the liner is fastened differently. There are none of those black clips shown and a big bolt fastened to the bumper right next to where the screws for the liner are. Also, along the side of the bumper the liner has lips over the bumper prohibiting the liner from being pushed in. The lips are fastened to a bracket inside the bumper so even if the lips were cut off, the bracket doesn't allow for more room.

I already bought some 295/70/18 Trails and I hope I didn't screw myself! Any feedback would be awesome. I can get some pics if it makes it easier.

·
Registered
27 Posts
2013 Fender Liner/Bumper Pics

Hopefully you'll be able to see what I was referring to. The liner is actually outside the bumper, not tucked in like the OP's pics. I think it may still work. I will only be able to push the inner part of the liner because the outer side with the lips already sits flush.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks for the addition. I knew they changed the design at 2011 or 2012 but did not have photos to post. It looks as if a similar mod could be done and /or tuck the liner up inside the bumper as I did on a 2010 as they came that way.

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
The problem is when I drive my truck as if I am in my 1972 Datsun 240Z and grind the front tires off.
Ahhhh, user error! LOL
Rob

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
I already bought some 295/70/18 Trails and I hope I didn't screw myself! Any feedback would be awesome. I can get some pics if it makes it easier.
Not sure if this helps or not since mine is a 12' but I run 295/65r18's and mine are nowhere near rubbing...........It will be close but I bet (5 bucks) you will be fine.

What is the difference between 295/70 & 295/60? That's less than 5/8" difference on both sides (top/bottom, front/back) than mine.......

You could always give DTD a call and see what they say.........

I hear Toytec makes a great leveling kit.........:lol5:

Rob

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Ahhhh, user error! LOL
Rob
I should realize which vehicle I am in and adjust and drive more like the gray hair I have and I am in a truck but I am getting old and I do not adjust that fast to change. So I just keep hauling A$$.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks 310Z for this post and the huge help! I went ahead and cut and drilled new holes. Thankfully I decided to go ahead with this mod because if I had not done it, the tires definitely would have rubbed. I now have about an inch clearance. Here's how she turned out:

295/70/18 Fuel Boost +20

21 - 40 of 171 Posts