Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been following the great post about tires and wheels. No one had done the combination I was planning on using #8 the stock 20 in. Limited wheel with larger tires. So while I was measuring before the lift was installed and then after a Low Range 3/1 kit was installed I found a very easy way to make factory level modifications to the front wheel well. I took lots of pictures and hope that it is easy to see what I did and that I present it in an understanding way.

Starting with the skid plate. I understand that there are about three different skid plate models. So this works for the Limited and a similar modification will most likely work on the other skid plates. (No need for cutting, this can frequently look sloppy).Turn your wheels to full lock. Then look at the front of the wheel were many people have a tire contact the skid plate. Visualize the contact point. Remove the skid plate and with a Ball Peen Hammer and dolly gently hammer (frequent small hammering) (the edge that is not square or at a 90 degree bend) the edge over so there is a 90 degree bend at the edge of the skid plate. This creates approximately 3/4 in. more clearance on the inside of the tire and with some creative hammering more clearance is available.

The next step is at the front wheel well liner/spray guard. This is another frequent tire contact spot with over sized wheels/tires. I had read were other people have just removed the plastic liner but there is a reason that liner is there. It is protecting fog lights and such. So at the bottom of the bumper were there are two screws. You can just move the screw holes toward the 90 degree bend that goes up into the finder well. A little bit of cutting is necessary of the black plastic liner and the plastic clip to create the proper clearance for the new mounting holes. This will move the inner front liner 3/4 in. farther toward the front bumper. When you finish the job, the finished product should look just like the factory original install. The cutting that you do is tucked away inside the bumper and can not be seen. Do one side at a time so you can see how the factory put it together when finishing the first side. When finished no one one should be able to tell that any work was done.

I plan on running BFG T/A KO in a 285-65-20 which is a 34.7 in. tire. I do not expect there to be any clearance issues with the above listed modifications.

Well it appears that the photo files that I intended to post are to large and the site will not load them. May be I can get them to load some other way. I will try later.

OK. I was able to resize the files and down load the pictures. Hope this helps some of you looking for that little bit extra wheel well clearance. Because if it is rubbing, it means it does not fit and it will create a problem at some point.

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have been following the great post about tires and wheels. No one had done the combination I was planning on using #8 the stock 20 in. Limited wheel with larger tires. So while I was measuring before the lift was installed and then after a Low Range 3/1 kit was installed I found a very easy way to make factory level modifications to the front wheel well. I took lots of pictures and hope that it is easy to see what I did and that I present it in an understanding way.

Starting with the skid plate. I understand that there are about three different skid plate models. So this works for the Limited and a similar modification will most likely work on the other skid plates. (No need for cutting, this can frequently look sloppy).Turn your wheels to full lock. Then look at the front of the wheel were many people have a tire contact the skid plate. Visualize the contact point. Remove the skid plate and with a Ball Peen Hammer and dolly gently hammer (frequent small hammering) (the edge that is not square or at a 90 degree bend) the edge over so there is a 90 degree bend at the edge of the skid plate. This creates approximately 3/4 in. more clearance on the inside of the tire and with some creative hammering more clearance is available.

The next step is at the front wheel well liner/spray guard. This is another frequent tire contact spot with over sized wheels/tires. I had read were other people have just removed the plastic liner but there is a reason that liner is there. It is protecting fog lights and such. So at the bottom of the bumper were there are two screws. You can just move the screw holes toward the 90 degree bend that goes up into the finder well. A little bit of cutting is necessary of the black plastic liner and the plastic clip to create the proper clearance for the new mounting holes. This will move the inner front liner 3/4 in. farther toward the front bumper. When you finish the job, the finished product should look just like the factory original install. The cutting that you do is tucked away inside the bumper and can not be seen. Do one side at a time so you can see how the factory put it together when finishing the first side. When finished no one one should be able to tell that any work was done.

I plan on running BFG T/A KO in a 285-65-20 which is a 34.7 in. tire. I do not expect there to be any clearance issues with the above listed modifications.

Well it appears that the photo files that I intended to post are to large and the site will not load them. May be I can get them to load some other way. I will try later.
I'd love to see the pics. Try downsizing them to around 800 pixels at their widest...
I've been wanting to push my plastic forward a bit too...
Bring on the pics :)

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
Here are a couple pics I took after I moved in my wheel well liners:

2 screws that need pulled out so you can push the liner forward and re-drill the holes

You can barely see the plastic clip on the screw on the left.

2 pieces I cut out for the plastic clips

Clearance afterwords

Sorry I don't have more and better pics but I took the pics for someone after I had already done it

·
Registered
473 Posts
Cool. That was very helpful. I'm going to do mine tomorrow. Thanks RG!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is pretty much it. I took photos with a tape measure showing the differences and highlighted were to cut and re-drill the holes. Then showed the massaged skid plate installed. Thanks for adding the photos. I will try to get the ones I took loaded soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey guys, I had my wheels/tires put on today. I have tried to follow the post, but it seems my bumper may be a tad bit different. I am having the rub issues on the front fender well when turned hard right or left.

I removed the black plastic tonight for a temporary fix, but even backing in my driveway, I heard it catch (on the metal of the bumper) The bumper has a part that is curved toward the wheel (where the fog light bracket mounts to the bumper) and it is curved toward the wheel on the inside of the fender well. I really can't see a reason for this, so I was going to look at possibly cutting this off to be flat across instead of curving toward the wheel. I then would like to reattach the black plastic as mentioned.

This has got me really down compared to how I should feel about getting the wheels and tires installed today. If anyone can help me further, Id greatly appreciate it. I put Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70/18 on the Ultra Gauntlet matte black wheels. I love the look of them, just need a little help with this rubbing please.

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys, I had my wheels/tires put on today. I have tried to follow the post, but it seems my bumper may be a tad bit different. I am having the rub issues on the front fender well when turned hard right or left.

I removed the black plastic tonight for a temporary fix, but even backing in my driveway, I heard it catch (on the metal of the bumper) The bumper has a part that is curved toward the wheel (where the fog light bracket mounts to the bumper) and it is curved toward the wheel on the inside of the fender well. I really can't see a reason for this, so I was going to look at possibly cutting this off to be flat across instead of curving toward the wheel. I then would like to reattach the black plastic as mentioned.

This has got me really down compared to how I should feel about getting the wheels and tires installed today. If anyone can help me further, Id greatly appreciate it. I put Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70/18 on the Ultra Gauntlet matte black wheels. I love the look of them, just need a little help with this rubbing please.
I will have to crawl under mine and look at it to see if I can see what you are talking about. What off set wheels did you buy? Those look like 35 or something and I would expect them to rub on the outside of the tire when turned into the front of wheel well. You will most likely need to make modifications beyond where I went. I could have easily gained another 1/4 in. clearance with my suggestions but I have a feeling you need an inch or more. Due to the off set wheels you chose.

·
"The Midnight Modder"
11,213 Posts
Thanks man. RGriff69 showed me how he did his but I was not getting it because I did not see the before pics.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I will have to crawl under mine and look at it to see if I can see what you are talking about. What off set wheels did you buy? Those look like 35 or something and I would expect them to rub on the outside of the tire when turned into the front of wheel well. You will most likely need to make modifications beyond where I went. I could have easily gained another 1/4 in. clearance with my suggestions but I have a feeling you need an inch or more. Due to the off set wheels you chose.
Thanks, I basically did the same thing that you did and it has taken care of all my problems.

Thanks again bud.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Thanks guys

·
Registered
625 Posts
I used this post also when I got new wheels.
Keep it alive!

·
Registered
287 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sorry guys but I'm totally lost. I have the 07 Texas Edition 20" wheels on my truck. I want to install bigger tires but keep my rims.

Im buying a 3/2 lift kit today and need help guys!

·
Registered
349 Posts
I need to do this. Great thread!

·
Registered
121 Posts
310Z
Thanks man for this write up, just got 35 KM2s put on and they hit just where you showed. Did what you said and showed and problem fixed, no rubbing lock to lock and plenty of clearance. Any one have rubbing issues or close to rubbing, just do it, def worth it then destroying your tires rubbing on the skid plate or ripping off the fender lining.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
Hey man, thank a bunch!!! I am not there yet (ready for new tires) but who knows, this might help a guy like me that wants to go only +1 or +2 and not have to do a leveling kit or lift to get the clearance needed for that.

Rob

1 - 20 of 171 Posts