1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 08 Tundra in to the dealer this morning for an oil
change. I decided to have the front and rear diff and transfer
case lube changed while it was there. I walked down the street
for breakfast and returned around an hour later.
The service writer came up to me and said I was lucky
I had them change the transfer lube as they had found a leak.
He took me back to show me where it was leaking. There were two cracks starting
at the drain plug. One at 2 o'clock and one at 7 o'clock.
He stated the last one to service the case had over tightened
the drain plug causing the cracks. Now it was dripping at a rate
that would have emptied the case within a couple of hours.
I have had this truck for almost a year and
I park in my garage every night, I have not seen a single drop of oil anywhere.
These cracks looked brand new as they were clean as a whistle.
Also the fluid coming from it was new. Why would you put new fluid in a cracked case?

Is this a known problem with these cases?

They said it would be covered under warranty.
Then gave me a 2012 Crew Max to drive until it's fixed.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Sounds fishy. Maybe the tech used an impact to remove the plug and hammered that nut in? They likely found the leak after they caused it. No other reasonable explanation based on your observation that you never saw a leak.

I'd love to see a picture of that little mess.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm bummed I didn't even think of taking a picture.
I also think they caused it but they are taking
care of it in a professional manner.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
They caused it, no doubt. Their face saving explanation would likely work most of the time. Sounds like you will get a new transfer case. Are you still under the 5 yr/ 60K mile warranty? My guess is they will be paying, not Toyota.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Yea, they ephed up...

Especially if the t-case fluid hadn't ever been changed, which most likely it hasn't been.

I find dealers are horrible, especially since I just did my first myself changing...

I did the oil, found one missing plastic insert and bolt for the front of the skid plate to the lower fascia, the other 2 are stripped (likely the other one was there then just fell out due to being stripped) I found the filter drain is how they had been changing the filter, I had marked everything when it was new and that mark was over 1/2 inch tightened past the mark and I couldn't get it to come off on the truck, Had to put the entire lower housing in a vise to get it off... I found the rear diff fill/check plug was NEVER even removed, not the first, second, third or 4th oil change at dealers... NEVER even checked, fluid was also low by about half quart... Came out looking better than the fj's at 20 k, so ehh, whatever, just the point.
Trans plug doesn't look like it was ever out, t-case definitely not ever, nor the front diff.

I am going to go in sometime to the dealer that did 3 out of the 4 changes and bitch up a storm in a professional manner. I paid extra for synthetic fluid, I know for a fact that one of the 3 times they didn't put synthetic in it cuz when I showed the service manager the picture of the nice brown fluid on the stick while he had the nice clear fluid on the stick in his hand after they re-changed it he just stfu and put the dipstick back in.

I changed my oil, rear diff, actually lubed pivots, and screwed around at work and shot the bs all in less than the 1.5 hours I normally waited at a dealer... That was using my pos hoist at work which necessitates a 10-20 minute process of getting the truck and the pads just right, then getting the brakes to actually lock then getting the safety brakes to lock on the way up...

I feel cheated, I thought the last time they didn't put synthetic in it cuz I lost the same mpg I lost the time I know that they didn't put synthetic in it...

Sorry I am rambling, I don't mean to, pain meds for my back combined with the fact that I am angered at dealers lack of proper service... They even check on a sheet that the fluid levels were correct... wtf.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They caused it, no doubt. Their face saving explanation would likely work most of the time. Sounds like you will get a new transfer case. Are you still under the 5 yr/ 60K mile warranty? My guess is they will be paying, not Toyota.
Not sure about the warranty, when he said it would be covered
I didn't question it.

Yea, they ephed up...

Especially if the t-case fluid hadn't ever been changed, which most likely it hasn't been.
He said according to the national files they checked it had
been serviced before. I think I will go there today and
have them produce the work history.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:

I went to the dealer and asked them to produce the
service history. They obliged. The history shows regular services,
some recalls done and a 30k service.
For the 30k service they specified LOF and rear diff service and
the usual inspection of other items $175.00.
Does not mention the transfer case. I see the transfer case
lube as an option @ 30k but since they didn't mention it
as they did the rear diff I doubt they touched it.

When I brought my suspicions up to the service
writer he said that all sounds reasonable. He would talk
to the tech on Monday. He said he would put his senior
tech on the replacement job.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
No point in pushing it IMO. They are fixing the problem.
I agree, though I would have to satisfy my normal curiosity and look at the transfer case. They will deny they hammered it anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got a call today that my truck was fixed. When I picked it up the lot guy said it wouldn't start.
They had to jump it. No big deal.
The service manager sent a tech out to check it. The tech went
and talked to the manager. The manager told him to replace
the battery. New battery, no charge. Only ended up paying for
the LOF, front and rear diff service.

They really took care of me.
I'm going to miss the 2012 CM they loaned me though.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The transfer case drain plug has pipe thread so if its tightened more than snug it will crack the case.

·
Registered
61 Posts
well it looks like the whole thing worked out prity well for you. new transfer case and battery free of charge. very nice.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
I'm calling shenanigans. The transfer case was cracked for thousands of miles and all of a sudden he tells you it WOULD have drained within and hour? BS. Their guy cracked it after draining the old fluid.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm calling shenanigans. The transfer case was cracked for thousands of miles and all of a sudden he tells you it WOULD have drained within and hour? BS. Their guy cracked it after draining the old fluid.
I agree with you but they took care of it in a very
professional manner. Other than admitting responsibility.
Its possible there was a hairline crack that was seeping
then when the tech overtightened the plug it cracked.
At least they didn't put it back together and send me on my way.
Then deny any misdoings. And bonus free battery.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts