Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, it turns out I blew my head gasket, my 2006 tundra overheated for a little bit and then I began to hear some piston slap and decided to take it into my local shop, the guy said its a blown head gasket but for the cost, i should just swap a new engine in.

I think I'm either gonna try and sell it for a couple grand less than its worth or just get a used engine and pay someone to install it.
I am here to get a ballpark price on how much the install would be. also, any idea what a truck that needs an engine would go for?

its a perfect truck minus the engine, it only had 110k on it and the truck is otherwise perfect.

thanks for the help!

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
I don't see how it would be less expensive to swap in a NEW engine (not really out there, I assume he meant used) vs repairing.

It's only a head gasket.

Should do both sides while there.

But still, to replace an engine due to a head gasket, with what seems like a used engine with unknown issues and maintenance just seems like they don't want to do the job.

Reactions: UNTMatt and RIjon

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
WTF, now were such a disposable society that we toss engines for a head gasket? At least pop the heads and get the surfaces checked. If it's good put some gaskets on it and get on with your life. It's not rocket science.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Agreed, blown head gasket is not that big a deal, if he's suggesting an engine swap I'd quit using that mechanic.

·
Registered
75 Posts
A failed head gasket and continued use of the truck will turn the motor in to a boat anchor unfortunately. Fluids like oil and coolant that are isolated by the head gasket probably mixed resulting in the overheating and subsequent catastrophic failure (warped internals, bad head, etc). A used motor would be the best option in that case.

·
Registered
837 Posts
A failed head gasket and continued use of the truck will turn the motor in to a boat anchor unfortunately. Fluids like oil and coolant that are isolated by the head gasket probably mixed resulting in the overheating and subsequent catastrophic failure (warped internals, bad head, etc). A used motor would be the best option in that case.

And the mechanic knew there was damage without taking off the top of the engine?

Reactions: Big Shasta

·
Chief of Grammar Police
2,497 Posts
i've got a 5.7 i can sell ya!
Sent it to me !!
@Wacked please correct his statement so i may understand it.
Either he is saying that you cant sell it to the OP because you already sent it to him and he is alerting the OP to a potential internet scam. Or the "sent" in this case was a typo and was supposed to be "send" in an effort to call dibs on the "extra" engine that performed a barrel roll.

Oh, and you should have used a capital "I" in your post.

·
Chief of Grammar Police
2,497 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts

And the mechanic knew there was damage without taking off the top of the engine?
And you know the mechanic didn’t inspect the head and/or properly diagnose the problem? Only the OP or mechanic can answer that question. But Im weighing the likelihood of a mechanic recommending to the OP that he replace an otherwise good motor simply because the head gasket is bad versus him having found internal motor damage caused by the failed head gasket.

Reactions: Wacked

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
My 2001 4runner with 200k overheat due to a crack radiator. Replace radiator drove it for a few months got a few codes saying misfire etc. replace sparks plug still got code. Every morning I start it up bunch of white smoke coming out of the tail pipe for 5 mins engine shake here and there due to misfire. Figure it was a blown head gasket due to high mileage. Took it to a mechanic shop got all the cylinders pressure test and confirm it was the head gasket. Cost 1500 to rebuild the head. Guess what I did? Took it back home and tighten the head bolts / retorque problem solved no more white smoke or engine check...

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
And you know the mechanic didn’t inspect the head and/or properly diagnose the problem? Only the OP or mechanic can answer that question. But Im weighing the likelihood of a mechanic recommending to the OP that he replace an otherwise good motor simply because the head gasket is bad versus him having found internal motor damage caused by the failed head gasket.
Surely doesn't sound like he did shit...Sounds like a phone diagnosis.

Unless the OP figures out he didn't make an intro post in the new member section and therefore can't reply to this topic, we shall never know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the replies and advice.

I just had the truck towed to a different mechanic to get a second opinion.

The first mechanic told me that he ran some kind of test and there was monoxide(or some other gas) in the lines that proved to him it was a blown headgasket,he also told me that since I drove the truck while it was overheating that I had probably also warped the cylinder or internals and because it was an aluminum block the probability was even higher.

I went to a different shop last week and spoke to the head mechanic, he told me he would run a compression and leak down test to see exactly what the problem was, he also gave me a ballpark estimate of 1400$ for a new headgasket, he didnt think the situation was as dire as the first mechanic.

thanks for the help guy/gals i was really worried that i was gonna have to replace this engine, hopefully it wont come to that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.