Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we're considering a 2011 tundra, big v8, awd, 4 door to tow our 5000 lb travel trailer as well as a daily driver
all the usual bells and whistles except leather
thoughts?

·
Registered
44 Posts
You meant 4wd...

I'd opt for the best equipped tundra which is either a limited or platinum. It gives you all the bells and whistles (leather included). Do you just hate leather?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
its a trd off road whatever that means, our primary concerns are a decent daily driver that will tow a travel trailer 10,000 km a year as well(we travel a lot as well!)
we don't hate leather, its just that cloth is fine

·
Registered
1,076 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
we realize that mileage is poor as a daily driver, our dodge Dakota is a gas hog too
reliability and trailer towing are our biggest concerns

trailer towing with the Toyota should be a pleasant experience compared to the Dakota we have now

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
i found another tundra, identical in all respects except 2 years newer and has the small v8
comments? bear in mind that used tundras are very rare in our market
Of course newer is better, and just like the 2011, the small V8 is the same 4.6L (310 hp) used today. The 4.6L will handle the daily driver role just fine, but don't expect a big increase in mileage over the 5.7L...maybe 2-4 mpg depending on the trucks. I'm not sure if 4.6L had an available towing package in 2013, but the towing package was definitely not available on 2017 and later models. The 4.6L should also able to handle the 5000LB towing job based on the owner manual specs (Max TWR on my 2017 DC/SB is 6800LB), but others that actually tow will have to weigh in on the wisdom of that. Towing in hilly terrain, it will probably be necessary to at least limit the transmission shifting by restricting it to 4th (1:1) or 5th (1:0.72) gear...the 4.6L/six-speed transmission seems to have enough trouble with just the truck weight in hilly terrain.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes newer is better, within ones budget of course!
i think i'll be looking for a newer (2013 or so) with the bigger v8
half of our annual driving is towing, so towing performance is a big plus
and im a firm believer in that a big lazy engine will last far longer than a too small over stressed one

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Good plan. Once-ina-while PIA towing would be OK, but if half your time in the truck is towing something nearly as big as the truck!...Go for the 5.7L. And, try to get one with the towing package if you can; those oil coolers have to help your engine and transmission.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Good plan. Once-ina-while PIA towing would be OK, but if half your time in the truck is towing something nearly as big as the truck!...Go for the 5.7L. And, try to get one with the towing package if you can; those oil coolers have to help your engine and transmission.
I'd definitely go for the 5.7 if towing frequently

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm new to the forum but it might be helpful to share my thoughts. I just went through the same decision process and this is what I ended up doing.....bought a used 2012 Tundra with 60,000 miles and then a new Prius too. I drive 32,000+ miles per year for work and the gas savings alone (over $6,000 per year) pretty much pays for the Tundra. Just something to consider.....
As for Tundra, extremely pleased so far with the towing capability. I just towed my boat (admit it's light, 2,500 or so pounds) this weekend on a 100 mile trip both ways and it towed like a champ. Gas mileage sucked but worth it for the towing ability in this case.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.