Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new to me 2013 came with what appears to be a factory trailer brake harness. The sheet of paper doesnt specify, I am assuming. Either way that harness, pictured, has extra connections compared to the tekonsha p3. I am assuming I can just leave those unconnected and heat shrink the ends. But before I go there, has anyone the same experience and did you do the same? Or am I missing something and do those need to be connected for some reason? If so how?

Oh and what to do with the white wire, battery ground, on the tekonsha p3? I am assuming connect to the brown wire on the pictured harness, trailer ground. Correct? Or?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
My new to me 2013 came with what appears to be a factory trailer brake harness. The sheet of paper doesnt specify, I am assuming. Either way that harness, pictured, has extra connections compared to the tekonsha p3. I am assuming I can just leave those unconnected and heat shrink the ends. But before I go there, has anyone the same experience and did you do the same? Or am I missing something and do those need to be connected for some reason? If so how?

Oh and what to do with the white wire, battery ground, on the tekonsha p3? I am assuming connect to the brown wire on the pictured harness, trailer ground. Correct? Or?

Thanks
Are you thinking that the OEM controller is not as good as the p3? Just curious because my 2018 came with a controller and I had just bought a p3...still sitting in the box with the harness mentioned here. Maybe I should swap out??

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Are you thinking that the OEM controller is not as good as the p3? Just curious because my 2018 came with a controller and I had just bought a p3...still sitting in the box with the harness mentioned here. Maybe I should swap out??

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I don't think the 2013's had the OEM brake control units yet. I have no experience with the OEM unit myself, But have heard from others that have that it is adequate,and know a couple of others who have upgraded to the Tekonsha and like it better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts