Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems everywhere I look I get conflicting answers even my local dealer. I have a 2010 5.7 Tundra 4x4. I live in southern california where it never freezes or gets below 40 and rarely gets over 90 in the summer. I rarelly tow or haul heavy loads but I do offroad regularly.

What oil should I be using? My dealer can't tell me what type of oil they use.
5w-20 is listed on the oil cap but my friend a master mechanic says that they recommend that type for added fuel efficiency and he recommended a synthetic blend 10w-30. I change my oil very freqently usually every 3k-5k miles. I have 28k original miles on my truck.

Is my friend right about the oil? And that 10w-30 would reduce wear and be ok since we live in warm weather?

I have used synthetic blend 10w-30 the last 2 oil changes per his recommendation. Should I switch to 5w-30 if so what type?

Also this summer I plan on towing a friends boat to the colorado river. Pretty extreme trim as it's 110-120 degrees for most the the trip (5 hours) PLUS the weight of the boat passengers ans cargo.

For this trip should I use a different oil considering the demands of the trip? What other pre-cautions should I take?

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
We use 5w-20 on every 2010 and older Tundra that comes through our service drive and 0w-20 on every 2011 and newer Tundra per Toyota. The engine is the same so I don't know what the big deal is/was but as for my personal Tundra (a 2012 Tundra 2wd) it is recommended for every 10,000 miles full synthetic 0w-20, I change it with 0w-20 every 5k.

Just my 2 cents but I hope that helps a little.

Brad

Reactions: ColoradoTJ

·
Registered
790 Posts
If the cap says 5w-20 I would use that, but use synthetic and you can probably change it every 5k miles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts