Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, looking at ordering the KMC XD Series Rockstars. I am going with factory size, 18", as I am thinking of running a 285/70 with a three inch lift. I saw a tundra today with a 6", just too big. I think 3" will be perfect.

Now, I have read up on the wheel off-set/backspace stuff, I just dont get it. I mean, why can I look at an aircraft and see whats wrong with plaining mech, but don't know what to order for the achieved look.

The look I am going for is about 3" outside the body line as I will be doing fiberglass in the future. Does anyone have an idea of what I should be looking for offset/backspacing wise? Any info and/or help would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Usually, having negative offset brings the wheels away from the hub (wheels stick out/look you are going for). Having positive offset tucks the wheels under the fenders.

Idk what stock offset is on your guys' Tundras, but on my Titan, if you take the wheel off, it's stamped on the backside of the wheel as to what offset it is. Mine are +12 offset. That will at least give you an idea. You're more than likely going to want a negative offset.

Craig

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Helps a bit, but need to figure out what the tundra guys have had experience with.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Reactions: seanmearse

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Are you sure you want your 285 wide tires to stick that far out?

My wheels are 18 mm offset, and with 295's (currently I am running 275), I expect it to be just about 2 inches further out from the factory fender (i.e., flush with Bushwacker pocket style fender flares). If you want it pushed out 1 inch more, you may even have to go with a negative offset.

Reactions: seanmearse

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The main reason for wanting them out so far is that I am planning ahead. There is fiberglass from Mcneill in the future, if i get the +3 wheels now, I don't have to redo wheels or suspension later.

According to this, and I know sizes vary minutely between manufacturer and tread, I am running the equivalency of a 33X11ish. It doesn't rub at all.
Tire Conversion Chart

Another thing, with the fg fenders, and when I decide on a bumper, it will have a bit more clearance at the bottom of the fender and bottom of the bumper.

BDT- I am going to check out that website now. Is there a recommended tire and wheel site where you can select specific's like the offset and what not? I really don't like talking to people on the phone, just bothers me, easier to get it done myself or through e-mail.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
there are tons of threads here, you are likely looking for 0 or neg offset. I have +30 in my pic...

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-wheels-tires/85904-offset-backspace-how-do-they-relate.html

That link should help explain what is what.
Forgot about you, sorry. I have read that, but, my mind makes me over think somethings and jump around alot. It gets to the point where my thought process is totally derailed.

BDT- I am on 1010tires and did the whole offset and size and all that, they don't have the rockstars though. guess I will start looking for another type.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats pretty much what I am looking for, but out a tad bit more. I think zero offset is going to be perfect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts