Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I just bought an 08 DC and want to really try to care of it, along with my 2 other cars. Ive never really been a big detail guy besides the regular wash/wax combo stuff, but now that Im looking into it, its becoming more and more complicated. So, if I want to take a step up from the wash/wax combos, what should I be doing?

So far I bought meguairs wash, fine clay and nxt2 wax, with the idea of going right in that order, every 6months with maybe monthly wash and nxt waxings inbetween. However, the more I read the more I think I need something else/ more products, like a cleaner wax between the clay and nxt2? So, what are you thoughts, am I OK with the above products I already have or should I get more? Also how often to do each, how many coats do i use? Ill also be doing everything by hand, if that matters.

I have to say this is my first post and my first toyota and so far I absolutely love it. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes some light scratches, not many swirls.

OK thanks.

the issue right now with everything that Im reading. Everytime I think I have it, I read I need to do something else or need a different product. I want it to look good but right now Im not doing anything becuase Im reading too many things, which in turn doesnt get the truck clean or waxed...

·
Registered
583 Posts
A DA will make all the difference. Wash, clay, wax, wash, powerlock. That powerlock really is amazing stuff- gives a great shine and protecting finish. If you use menerza waxes, you can skip the 2nd wash. Not sure about the nxt. If you don't have that much correction, then in the future you can get away with a polish and then powerlock. If you only need a little correction and using a DA, then possibly just using a rougher pad with polish will be enough as opposed to a rougher compound. I'm no expert, but just regergitating what I've picked up from Jumbo Jet, JC, and the others on the Ask the Guru thread.

I used the products they recommended recently for a wash, clay, correction, polish, wash, powerlock. Took me all afternoon, but WOW- came out great and I felt I rushed some of the steps (it started to sprinkle on and off). With a little more time spent, it would've looked better than when I picked her up. I have a little more work in some spots that needed deeper correction, but the next go around and from there on out will only go smoother and smoother as I'll be sure to keep on it. As for timing, I'd think twice a year would be satisfactory- though I'm sure there are others that could provide better advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts